Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birmingham release Kevin Philips

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Anyone that doesn't want Kevin Phillips on board for next season is an idiot.

There, I said it.

Can you please lay out the various options before we decide? If we were to sign him, would it take such a large slice of our playing budget, that (hypothetically and playing devil's advocate) we could no longer afford Micheal Owen? Anyone who makes their choice on scraps of information is an idiot.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Can you please lay out the various options before we decide? If we were to sign him, would it take such a large slice of our playing budget, that (hypothetically and playing devil's advocate) we could no longer afford Micheal Owen? Anyone who makes their choice on scraps of information is an idiot.

Phillips would score goals in the Championship. Owen, as far as I'm concerned, is not a realistic target. Phillips, on a free, would be a good signing for any teamin the Championship, on any budget, imo.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sorry but not for Crodo, a decent squad player but he's not going to get through 46 games, I think he will struggle to do half of that if you look at his workload at Birmingham the last couple of years, and he would command huge wages which could be better spent on a first team player rather than bit part, impact sub. We should be looking at EPL talent, but more the young and hungry promising players who can't get into their clubs first team plans. Players such as Bebe and Chris Herd.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Phillips would score goals in the Championship. Owen, as far as I'm concerned, is not a realistic target. Phillips, on a free, would be a good signing for any teamin the Championship, on any budget, imo.

Owen may not be a realistic target - certainly it would only be on the basis of friendship with TB. However, Gus may be after a young, better player than Philips is now, and if we spunked our money on an old guy like Philips, we would not be able to afford them. Much better to spend money on young talent in my opinion, they are good now, get better and we get the advantage while they stay - then they go and we are able to cash in with transfer fees - and, if we are lucky we get enough to pay for their wages when they were with us, and hopefully more.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

We can't afford Michael Owen whoever we sign or don't sign this summer

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Don't get me wrong, I think we will get in some BRILLIANT players. Just not convinced they'll be heard of. I bet you money there will be GRUMBLINGS on here at the start of the season, due to the fact that a number of our new signings will be (to us, not Gus) "unknown quantities".

Calderon and Bridcutt were "unknown quantities".

Baz and Batti were also "unknown quantities."

I don't think it's surprising when fans feel anxious if they don't know the quality of the players who are being signed.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Phillips would be an amazing signing but doubt it would happen
Wasnt he birminghams top scorer butinjured most of the season and started hardly any games?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We ARE a Championship club, he IS a Championship player... we have a chance, if we are interested...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
WHY are you so f***ing OBSESSED with BEBE!!!????

I am not obsessed but we're interested in him and he would be just the marquee signing we're looking for this summer to state our intentions to the rest of the league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here