Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birmingham release Kevin Philips

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we're chasing a massive signing, not Phillips, bigger than that. Fingers crossed it'll happen.

Really think this is likely considering our wage cap?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Did we learn nothing from sheff wed signing "big name" strikers last year, supposedly proven in the division above? Phillips was good years ago at sunderland but he's nearly 40, his legs have gone, he wouldn't be guaranteed 15-20 goals just by dropping a division. He's a name, but not a realistic option. I would be absolutely staggered if gus signed him, free transfer or not - a 37/38 y/o journeyman on top wedge with no incentive other than picking up a final packet before retirement? See mellor, heffernan and morrison dropping championship to league 1, apply that to phillips and owen prem to championship. A big no thanks from me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

So...a "massive" signing, but one that is willing to be paid £7.5k a week? Fair enough.

I think people hoping for "big names" this summer are going to be sorely disappointed. Gus is looking for diamonds in the rough, young hungry players looking to prove themselves and willing to adapt and learn Gus's style of play. Not "big name", established players.

I reckons anyway.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
So...a "massive" signing, but one that is willing to be paid £7.5k a week? Fair enough.

I think people hoping for "big names" this summer are going to be sorely disappointed. Gus is looking for diamonds in the rough, young hungry players looking to prove themselves and willing to adapt and learn Gus's style of play. Not "big name", established players.

I reckons anyway.

I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get in one or two "been there, done it" type of players, in the kitchenchef mould.
Not necessarily to play every week, but to be in and around the squad.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone that doesn't want Kevin Phillips on board for next season is an idiot.

There, I said it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I think we're after some utter, utter (perhaps currently unknown) quality. But wouldn't be surprised if an approach of some sort is made for Philips as well.

I couldn't agree more. I think we may pick up a couple of players domestically that people haven't even thought of or know. I wouldn't be surprised if Gus swoops for some Johnny Foreigners as well. I'm certainly not one of the people hoping for big names, far from it.

I reckons anyway.

I agree! :D

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get in one or two "been there, done it" type of players, in the kitchenchef mould.
Not necessarily to play every week, but to be in and around the squad.

Yes, but Kish wasn't considered a "big name/massive signing", was he? I agree one or two old heads would be useful.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we're after some utter, utter (perhaps currently unknown) quality. But wouldn't be surprised if an approach of some sort is made for Philips as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think we will get in some BRILLIANT players. Just not convinced they'll be heard of. I bet you money there will be GRUMBLINGS on here at the start of the season, due to the fact that a number of our new signings will be (to us, not Gus) "unknown quantities".

Calderon and Bridcutt were "unknown quantities".

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Don't get me wrong, I think we will get in some BRILLIANT players. Just not convinced they'll be heard of. I bet you money there will be GRUMBLINGS on here at the start of the season, due to the fact that a number of our new signings will be (to us, not Gus) "unknown quantities".

Calderon and Bridcutt were "unknown quantities".

I bet you're right.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
As a West Ham fan I'd take him - he fits the Teddy Sheringham mold well. He scored 15-20 goals for the Hammers in the 2004-5 Championship season at 38.

Yes, but Sherringham always had the pace of an overloaded pack mule, even when he was young at Millwall. His ability was always being in the right place at the right time, and he did maintain his fitness.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
as good as signing as he would be I doubt we'd pay his wages, he's nearing the end of his career so will want high wages pumped in to keep him ticking over until a job in broadcasting or coaching comes along. Plus we'd only get one season out of him, which would be good to stave off RELEGATION of course.

If I were Bloom i'd pay him for a year then get rid

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

I reckons anyway.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if we signed one or two league one players no one has heard of tbh, I mean, how many of us knew about Ryan Harley before Swansea beat us to his signing? Certainly some hidden gems in League One. Probably pick up one or two foreign players we've never heard of too! Striker wise we can probably get someone very good, but suspect Owen/Phillips are out of our price range unless there is some creative deal worked out (image rights/sponsor contribution).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yes, but Sherringham always had the pace of an overloaded pack mule, even when he was young at Millwall. His ability was always being in the right place at the right time, and he did maintain his fitness.

So in short you don't think Philips is smart, fit, or mobile enough to play for Brighton?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Really think this is likely considering our wage cap?

Do we actually have one then? Or is it a desire to ensure paying the right money to the right players? IF, and I say IF, we were to get Owen to come to us, do you think he would have to be within this supposed cap, or would we consider what he would bring to the Club overall?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here