Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birmingham release Kevin Philips

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm pretty sure I heard him on the radio saaying he was free and available to a championship team and thought that he would be able to score plenty of goals in the Championship.

Yep I heard him interviewed on five live where he said just that. Got the impression that we were exactly the type of club he would consider but there must be about 14 clubs in the championship that would fit the bill. Gus may gain us some brownie points but we would need to be able compete financially.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just been announced. Interesting? Could he be "the one"?

They are releasing Larsson and two others that appeared in the League Cup Final. Larsson is a right sided midfielder and more important he can take corners, which we need if Elliott Bennett is to be in the game more.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Really think this is likely considering our wage cap?

Just because we would not pay £10k a week for a unproven championship striker, who is prone to sulking and pissing off his team mates, does not mean we have a wage cap. It means he was not worth that sort of money. Phillips on the other hand on a one year deal, that a different kettle of fish.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
no thanks.

we need a target man.

I don't think a target man would suit our style in the slightest. Murray was a lot more than that. So basically IMO nNO we don't need a target man - Gus is manager not McGhee :lol:

D

Deleted User X18H

After speaking to K.P himself he has no intrested in joining us, but did look at me in a strange way when asking him the question.

Well he told me he was thinking of joining us. Gave ME a strange look when I suggested to him he wouldn't!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
My concern with Phillips is that for the wages he would demand, would his body be able to cope with regular 90 minutes. No doubt at all that he would score goals, but if we have the budget to get in one high earning striker, I'm not sure someone without much pace and with question marks over how much they would play, is the best use of our budget. I also wonder, if at his age he could get about the pitch and defend from the front like Gus demands from our strikers. I'd rather we spent the money on someone who could have a bigger impact upon the side but if we can afford to get Phillips and another high earning striker, then I'd be all for it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My concern with Phillips is that for the wages he would demand, would his body be able to cope with regular 90 minutes.

i would assume that we'd only go for him (or any player) if they accepted wages in keeping with the clubs wage structure. its not our concern to have, its Gus and Bloom's. even for one year and not as mobile or eneretic as we might like ideally, his presence and experience in the dressing room alone would be valuable to Hoskins and Barnes.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought Gus has already said he was not looking for a Murray type player as a replacement, and wants the ball on the ground, pace and movement?

Not everything can be done along the ground - there will still be corner kicks and set pieces - at both ends.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO Poyet will sign no "big name " players,with our limited budet he will sign players that fit into "we have the best team but not the best players " remit of last season.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
This is true. But target man or not we need someone who can win something in the air. Murray's game was just as much about defending as it was attacking at times!

I think we're chasing a massive signing, not Phillips, bigger than that. Fingers crossed it'll happen.
Agree with biccy on this one

BHA1983

May 25, 2011
talkSPORT (Ian Danter Brum fan) today suggested K Phil is likely to remain in the midlands for the remainder of his career.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
talkSPORT (Ian Danter Brum fan) today suggested K Phil is likely to remain in the midlands for the remainder of his career.

West kids - coventry or walsall

East kids - Derby, leicester, forest or notts c

Maybe coventry or Derby imho if he's staying in midlands

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
Veteran striker Kevin Phillips, 37, is set to return to the Championship with Watford after being released by relegated Birmingham.

(The Sun)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Veteran striker Kevin Phillips, 37, is set to return to the Championship with Watford after being released by relegated Birmingham.

(The Sun)

I read they are in the bottom couple of clubs next season for wage caps..... we will be above them, so guessing we could afford a bit more than them.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom

(The Sun)
top signing for a club I'm expecting to struggle next season ... we need some BIG signings just to battle this season I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here