Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Sharp - tweaked his ankle a little bit. (but with God's grace, might live)

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Because I have listed several sources backing up my statement with examples showing current sports professionals claiming (and in Keane's place even confirming) that this kind of practice is common.

Watch the replay tonight; if they show it in full with the slow motion from all the different angles as was shown in the stream, you will see it was a hurrendous challenge and could only possibly end in an injury to the receiving player. There was no possible way Dunk could get the ball, neither was his tackle anywhere near the ball, and the tackle began before the player even had received the ball. I suggest due to the timing of the challenge coming fairly soon after half time, it was made in response to a need to be more physical to compete with Doncaster's physicality, which had dominated us in the first half. Is that not feasible?

You're confusing two different things. Yes, sometimes professional footballers go out to give an opponent a whack. It happens.

But you've been claiming you know for a fact that this is what happened in this case. Unless you were in the half-time dressing room you can't possibly know that. And you weren't even at the game were you?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Yes. Very lucky. It was very malicious I feel, two footed from behind and nowhere near the ball.

Our players obviously felt a bit battered and bruised at half time, and resolved to assign one player to 'leave their mark' on the star man - it happens all the time. The player does it knowing they will get a yellow, and hoping they knock the player (and often the team) off their stride - teams do this against Arsenal all the time hence the huge number of serious injuries their players suffer and the number of yellow/red cards the opposition teams get.

Basically, we sent someone out there in the second half to 'do' Sharp and maximise our chances of winning. Fair enough, I say - that's exactly what they did with Lua-Lua in the first half.

What an absolute crock of shit. You seriously think Lewis Dunk was told to go out & put Sharpe out of the game?? I think you need to have a VERY strong word or 10 with yourself.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You're confusing two different things. Yes, sometimes professional footballers go out to give an opponent a whack. It happens.

But you've been claiming you know for a fact that this is what happened in this case. Unless you were in the half-time dressing room you can't possibly know that. And you weren't even at the game were you?
he seems to think he was in the guys head!

more important to his posturing is Sharp...fact is hes injured...speedy recovery to him

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
If the ref had sorted himself out in the first 15 mins and got hold of the game there would have been none of the nasty challenges thrown in by BOTH teams. He didn't, he was woeful and did not have any authority and the end result was 2 players being stretchered off - it could have been at least 2 more.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

So we are getting somewhere; the previous 40-odd posts claim that it doesn't. Fine.

I am suggesting it could be the case, when considering the evidence (a feeling of general malcontent about the refereeing and some hard tackles on us in the first half, Gus's actions in the first half, being a goal down plus all the other points I made previously) but most of all the nature of the tackle - which was awful and nowhere near the ball - and the coincidence it happens to be on their key man - and almost immediately after half time.

I believe Dunk is a better player than to make a challenge that inaccurate - it was the only foot he put wrong all game, how could he mistime his tackle so drastically so suddenly on that particular player at that particular time without a hint of doing anything similar before or after?

I am not suggesting anyone meant to injure anyone - I reckon we just went out to be a bit 'tougher' and this is what happened.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
There should have been at least three reds in that game. One for the foul on Barnes, one for the foul on LuaLua and one for Dunk. End of.
It is irrelevant whether the player gets injured or not.

Signed Mary Whitehouse, West Stand Lower

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If the ref had sorted himself out in the first 15 mins and got hold of the game there would have been none of the nasty challenges thrown in by BOTH teams. He didn't, he was woeful and did not have any authority and the end result was 2 players being stretchered off - it could have been at least 2 more.

Absolutely right. He was a f***ing embarrassment from start to finish - as was the useless lino on the east side of the pitch. Where do they get these turds from? I stupidly thought that the officiating would be a step up too this season, but today's shambles just goes to show how wrong I was. Dreadful. And then some. :angry:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
So we are getting somewhere; the previous 40-odd posts claim that it doesn't. Fine.

I am suggesting it could be the case, when considering the evidence (a feeling of general malcontent about the refereeing and some hard tackles on us in the first half, Gus's actions in the first half, being a goal down plus all the other points I made previously) but most of all the nature of the tackle - which was awful and nowhere near the ball - and the coincidence it happens to be on their key man - and almost immediately after half time.

I believe Dunk is a better player than to make a challenge that inaccurate - it was the only foot he put wrong all game, how could he mistime his tackle so drastically so suddenly on that particular player at that particular time without a hint of doing anything similar before or after?

I am not suggesting anyone meant to injure anyone - I reckon we just went out to be a bit 'tougher' and this is what happened.

You did more than "suggest" it could have happened - you stated it as a fact. Were you at the game?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was wrong to state it as fact. It is, of course, my opinion based on how it appeared. No, I was not at the game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Which bit is moronic?

Well to be totally honest jc....................... all of it.

f*** me just re read the above and you were not even there....................jeez

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
hang on... apparently its his ankle now! might just be rumours at the mo...

I'm sure when he was stretchered off the medical protection bits were concentrated around the knee area. Knee ligament damage I thinks......Wouldn't wish any serious injury on any football player and would like to wish him a speedy recovery !!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Well to be totally honest jc....................... all of it.

f*** me just re read the above and you were not even there....................jeez

Which is why I saw how bad the challenge was and the many people at the game are saying it 'didn't look that bad'. The benefit of multiple replays and seeing the full impact and severity of the challenge is what makes me correct in my opinion.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
No, I was not at the game.[/QUOTE]

Didn't think so!..... i was at the game and from where i was sitting it didn't look any worse that the previous challenges on Barnes and KLL. I do not believe we are likely to put the 'kill' order on any player not after the horrid time we have had with KLL. I can't believe it was malicious and i hope that Billy recovers soon. the DRovers have my sympathy, they have been plagued with injuries and i hope this isn't as bad as reported.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here