Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Sharp - tweaked his ankle a little bit. (but with God's grace, might live)

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
Dunks was badly mistimed but not nasty.

The second serious injury appeared to result from the Donny player kicking an Albion defenders head.

However sitting at the back of the WSU wearing glasses I may be wrong.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sharp and Donny's medics maybe didn't think it was all that bad initially because the player did get up on his feet and try to walk off the pitch. But it wasn't to be. Hope it doesn't f*** up Donny's season earlydoors cos they don't deserve that. On the other hand, them's the breaks in football (apologies, no pun intended, honestly) and deliriously happy with the three points. Obviously.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The only difference is luck. Barnes and LuaLua were lucky to escape without injury, unfortunately (and i truly mean that) your lad wasn't.

Things happen so quickly in a game of football that when Dunk was committing to the challenge he thought the ball was there to be won, but in a split second Sharp's position changed and he got badly hurt.

You see plenty of worse tackles that go in from the front, and are probably more dangerous because the bones are more exposed at the front on the leg, and your point about them not seeing it coming from behind doesn't mean they wont be able to get out of the way of one coming from the front

totally agree and non one likes a player of any team suffering a serious injury

DanielT

Last season Gus said (paraphrasing) that when players go in for a tackle, they make the argument "I got the ball" but what did they do with the other leg?

A fair tackle can result in broken bones, and a bad tackle can result in no harm done. You cannot argue the intent of the tackler just because of the outcome to the tackled player

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It was a very bad tackle, but for you to suggest it was a changing room order is fairly serious stuff, so I'd wind my neck in if I were you. I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen, but that sort of thuggery belongs no where near BH&A and your comments have made an already bad situation rather much more unpalatable. If Poyet has shown you nothing since he arrived it is that flowing, stylish football that he has brought has absolutley no elements of agression in it at all, mostly passionate and articulate football.

But, of course, you are speaking as a Brighton fan. I am reading a lot of very biased people refusing to even contemplate what I have suggested (which, incidentally, is not libel. Please review the libel law in relation to public internet forums such as this) and as a point of order I have personally witnessed us cheating on several occasions under Poyet. Examples? Our deliberate tactic of having all the players charging in towards the incident after a 'bad' tackle is made on one of our players, in order to give the impression the tackle is worse than it actually is, is a common one. Trying to deceive the referee to get an opposition player sent off is ungentlemanly conduct. Specific example? Sheffield Wednesday away last season, I witnessed Adam El Abd throw himself to the ground holding his face after being lightly prodded in the chest by Neil Mellor while waiting for a corner. Then, minutes later, a fair challenge on Adam El Abd which won the ball cleanly caused all our players to come charging in, pushing and shoving the innocent opposition player, getting the player booked in the process.

Actually, if we're on the subject of Poyet's credibility (which we weren't until you mentioned it as I never said Poyet specifically told anyone to go out and injure anyone else) then I should also point out Poyet had clearly lost it in the first half, getting himself sent to the stand after making a bit of a fool of himself. Yes, the decision was bad - but Poyet's behaviour was hardly with 'no elements of aggression'.

Additionally, I have listed several other documented examples of what I suspect may have happened in this case.

It seems to me people are very blinkered - if you ever want an opinion about any club specific subject, the fans are usually the least credible source.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

The second serious injury appeared to result from the Donny player kicking an Albion defenders head.

being in the east level with the incident i recall 3 players going fro the ball..one albion diving with his head and 2 donny players.....to my mind either of them cud hav gt injured

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

I agree with that and was in the WSL

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But, of course, you are speaking as a Brighton fan. I am reading a lot of very biased people refusing to even contemplate what I have suggested (which, incidentally, is not libel. Please review the libel law in relation to public internet forums such as this) and as a point of order I have personally witnessed us cheating on several occasions under Poyet. Examples? Our deliberate tactic of having all the players charging in towards the incident after a 'bad' tackle is made on one of our players, in order to give the impression the tackle is worse than it actually is, is a common one. Trying to deceive the referee to get an opposition player sent off is ungentlemanly conduct. Specific example? Sheffield Wednesday away last season, I witnessed Adam El Abd throw himself to the ground holding his face after being lightly prodded in the chest by Neil Mellor while waiting for a corner. Then, minutes later, a fair challenge on Adam El Abd which won the ball cleanly caused all our players to come charging in, pushing and shoving the innocent opposition player, getting the player booked in the process.

Actually, if we're on the subject of Poyet's credibility (which we weren't until you mentioned it as I never said Poyet specifically told anyone to go out and injure anyone else) then I should also point out Poyet had clearly lost it in the first act, getting himself sent to the stand after making a bit of a fool of himself. Yes, the decision was bad - but Poyet's behaviour was hardly with 'no elements of aggression'.

Additionally, I have listed several other documented examples of what I suspect may have happened in this case.

It seems to me people are very blinkered - if you ever want an opinion about any club specific subject, the fans are usually the least credible source.

and u dont consider yurself blinkered to yur own opinion and unwilling to accept u may not be entirely right?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Blinkered? I think you're reading waaaaaay too much into this. It was a bad tackle, doubt you'll find anyone to dispute that, but anymore is just supposition and it is disrepectful to the manager to presume this was premeditated from the dressing room....

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
and how cud u possibly know they wud??

Because I have listed several sources backing up my statement with examples showing current sports professionals claiming (and in Keane's place even confirming) that this kind of practice is common.

Watch the replay tonight; if they show it in full with the slow motion from all the different angles as was shown in the stream, you will see it was a hurrendous challenge and could only possibly end in an injury to the receiving player. There was no possible way Dunk could get the ball, neither was his tackle anywhere near the ball, and the tackle began before the player even had received the ball. I suggest due to the timing of the challenge coming fairly soon after half time, it was made in response to a need to be more physical to compete with Doncaster's physicality, which had dominated us in the first half. Is that not feasible?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Remind me. How many months are Lua Lua and Barnes out of the game for?

6 months for Lua Lua last season. Barnes - nothing major so far.

It sounds more like you're trying to compare tackles that happen to result in injuries with similarly robust tackles that don't.

Can't see much difference between the two.

One player on the receiving end is just more fortunate than another.

Here's to a speedy recovery though - no genuine supporter wants to see a player seriously injured, regardless of the team or circumstances.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
So, sorry to piss on everyone's handbag fight, but is there any CONFIRMED news on Sharp's injury?

We're possibly looking at Doncaster's best player being out for the season and all you lot can do is bitch at each other. Get a grip. Good luck to Doncaster for the rest of the season. Hope Sharp isn't out for too long.

Sent by... not telling

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
It's awful if thats true. From WSL it really didn't look like a bad tackel to me-robust yes and probably badly timed but I will watch the football league show tonight and see if they show it. If it was really that awful why did it take the physio and ref so long to ask for a stretcher-surely you would know straight away that it was going to be needed?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
@jscdenton08 You are blinkered. I was right behind the goal at Hillsborough and saw Mellor push El-Abd under his chin not his chest. I can't remember who it was earlier in this thread but you are another TCB. You may have an opinion but you are wrong.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was also right behind the goal at Hillsborough and watched El Abd roll around holding his forehead after being lightly shoved in the chest. He even looked at the ref as he fell over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here