Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Paynter signs on loan until January

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I hope he is what we need, we look 90% a decent team, just lacked a quality cutting egde in the middle on MOnday night and a target man in the box, with Rodriquez back and hopefullt Painter up front we are going to be a cracking side.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Seeing as Gus has been after him for ages there's obviously something Gus knows about his style of play and what he has to offer us as a team. It also gives us 4 out and out strikers which is kind of needed at this level IMO. Plenty of players flop at one club then prosper at another "tha fubol" in the words of the mighty one.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
He NEEDs to produce here because he is in the shop window and he sure as hell will not play for Leeds again if he is a failure here. Thats what makes this signing encouraging and Im confident he will offer something positive.

Also, I dont know where people get that he is some sort of monster who will hold the ball up? He is the same height as Ashley Barnes.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The thing that strikes me is how a lot of fans on here wrote Chris Wood off calling him a lump of 'wood' and he has done a superb job for B'ham, lets hope Paynter can do the same for us

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm DELIGHTED at this.

Basically we need a lump to play off of. He needs no intention of actually SCORING. We just need a focal point to allow CMS and co to buzz around.

He did this for Simon Cox at Swindon and hopefully it will work here.

Again, this is a TEAM signing. Don't expect him to be a key scorer. He will allow others to play.

Last season people MOANED about Woods. I can GUARENTEE they would have him in the squad now.

Loan, no financial commitment. Worth the gamble.

Top post :clap:

C Man Staines

Feb 21, 2009
ha ha ha !!

Gotta get behind the lad though and the team he may prove them all wrong at Leeds and we could have found another Gem !!!

I'm totally behind him, I don't like people that constantly bad mouth their own players (I don't like a lot of Brighton fans or the general public in general for that matter).

Fair enough groaning or swearing after a bad pass or glaring miss, we all do it regardless of the player, but when people constantly get on the back of underperforming players it really grinds my gears, especially when they are too stupid to appreciate the work they do for the team.

Hopefully he'll be a goal-scoring/creating machine, but if that happens then Gus will no doubt drop him to the bench to keep the price down for a January bid, as he did with Barnes.

EDIT - Actually, am I being two faced slagging off Harding, or is it OK once they've left???

Last edited:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Here we go again - another snap judgement based on the opinions of other supporters rather than having the intelligence to make a judgement after seeing for yourself. I think Harley is being hard done by with some of the comments on here after a handful of games. Now people are writing Paynter off before he has kicked a ball for us! A forum is for reasoned and rational discussion not for a public demonstration of stupidity.

But unfortunately that is one & the same thing on here.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The bottom line is there aren't an endless supply of strikers available in our price range, in fact there are hardly any. It's been obvious for a while we need a different kind of striker for CMS to play off. Gus knows enough about Paynter to think he can be an option, but some twat on here thinks he knows better and is banging on about it ad infinitum. Paynter's definitely worth a punt.

Gus is god; he's a Brighton player now so get behind him. If it doesn't work out you can wank yourself to smug oblivion in your shitty little bedroom whilst re-reading your posts on this thread. Deal?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
HMM listening to all this makes me think that things have not gone so well as we thought behind the scenes. 1 of two things have happened

Either

1. Gus wanted to play two forwards up front from the beginning... didnt think Murray could play the big man role (true) and for some inexplicable reason thought Wood couldnt do it or Wood didnt want to come back. therefore wanted Payntert but couldnt get him till now. In which case we are about to finally see Gus's preferred formation and style

OR

2. Gus's preferred formation hasnt really worked this season and he is now resorting back to one we used with Wood in League 1... but unfortunately Wood has already gone to Birmingham.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I think we may find that Paynter had alot to do with Charlie Austin scoring so many goals. CMS is better than Austin, Gus knows exactly what he is doing.

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
HMM listening to all this makes me think that things have not gone so well as we thought behind the scenes. 1 of two things have happened

Either

1. Gus wanted to play two forwards up front from the beginning... didnt think Murray could play the big man role (true) and for some inexplicable reason thought Wood couldnt do it or Wood didnt want to come back. therefore wanted Payntert but couldnt get him till now. In which case we are about to finally see Gus's preferred formation and style

OR

2. Gus's preferred formation hasnt really worked this season and he is now resorting back to one we used with Wood in League 1... but unfortunately Wood has already gone to Birmingham.

I think Option 1 the more likely given we tried to sign Paynter before the end of the August transfer window when things still seemed rosy on the pitch (not that they are really that bad now, just need to get that next win on the board asap)

Lush

Mods' Pet
The thing that strikes me is how a lot of fans on here wrote Chris Wood off calling him a lump of 'wood' and he has done a superb job for B'ham, lets hope Paynter can do the same for us

Exactly. Players can do well in one team and not another. Look at Jermaine Beckford. And I'm still not convinced that Wood would be any better for OUR TEAM if he came back here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here