Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I guess not appearing in that friendly against Villa today gives this story more credibility now. I can’t imagine getting no game time if he were staying around and it doesn’t look like RDZ will play him.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I guess not appearing in that friendly against Villa today gives this story more credibility now. I can’t imagine getting no game time if he were staying around and it doesn’t look like RDZ will play him.
Yeh either he was actually injured, not just pretend injured, or he's off.

Most likely on loan, but maybe with option to buy

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Oddest transfer - up there with Stephen Dobbie - although even he played 15 times

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
I do wonder what exactly it is that's the issue? I had assumed that, when RDZ came in, gilmour would've been really important as he seems the sort of player that would suit the system. good passer, fairly press-resistant, excellent technique and vision are all traits that he has, and traits I would've thought RDZ would require. can only imagine it's him pushing to go, as I doubt RDZ would be expecting him to be competing with two excellent, potentially future world class players.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I do wonder what exactly it is that's the issue? I had assumed that, when RDZ came in, gilmour would've been really important as he seems the sort of player that would suit the system. good passer, fairly press-resistant, excellent technique and vision are all traits that he has, and traits I would've thought RDZ would require. can only imagine it's him pushing to go, as I doubt RDZ would be expecting him to be competing with two excellent, potentially future world class players.
Plus, with the players returning from the World Cup, you'd expect him to be important to cover Caiceido, Mitoma & Mac Allister for at least the first couple of games

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Maybe he just doesn’t see a way into the first team? Caicedo and Mac Allister are obviously the first choice and tbh RDZ doesn’t seem that keen on changing things very much. Sure they might get suspended for a game or two but you get the impression they’d be straight back in, even if Gilmour did do well, which whilst it’s understandable from a mangers perspective, is no good if you are a player needing to play.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Maybe he just doesn’t see a way into the first team? Caicedo and Mac Allister are obviously the first choice and tbh RDZ doesn’t seem that keen on changing things very much. Sure they might get suspended for a game or two but you get the impression they’d be straight back in, even if Gilmour did do well, which whilst it’s understandable from a mangers perspective, is no good if you are a player needing to play.
Moises is 1 booking away from a suspension.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Knew there was something weird about this whole thing when he had a chant before he’d even played a minute for us, while several stalwarts don’t even have one.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oddest transfer - up there with Stephen Dobbie - although even he played 15 times
True, but l guess paying even £10m for a player now isn't a lot by Premier League standards, so perhaps the club simply thought it was worth a punt on him.

He didn't exactly excel in his time at Norwich on loan, maybe one ought to ask oneself why.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brian the who, where, what has he got to do with anything...
I like the why he implies Billy is skilful and that can only truly be apricated in every other European country but here....

Poop to you Brian, maybe we have a plethora of skilled players in the same position, which he and we were aware of when he signed, he should stay here, fight for his place, fair enough if after a year he thinks he needs to move on, but it has only been six months.
SIX months?

its been THREE months (and a week)…!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If he's not willing to cut the club a bit of slack with all that's gone on - and when he's vying for a place with 2 established players who've been among the stars of the World Cup - maybe he's not right for Albion. You'd hope he'd be willing to fight for his place, when it's obvious chances will come, not least because keeping Caicedo and Mac Allister very long term is unlikely to be possible. Maybe he is happy to do that and it's all media waffle - hope so,

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Unless the club want him to go, just to get some game time, in the same way Mac Allister did.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Shows how important what goes on in training and behind the scenes really. Players might have the odd cameo and look decent but I'm not sure that's ever a real indication of things. My guess Is our first transfer in January is a CM and it's a RDZ led one.
Also clear RDZ rates Moran very highly. Expect to see him on the bench more for the rest of the season

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
True, but l guess paying even £10m for a player now isn't a lot by Premier League standards, so perhaps the club simply thought it was worth a punt on him.

He didn't exactly excel in his time at Norwich on loan, maybe one ought to ask oneself why.
On point one, you're right, it's not that much for us any more. We spent something like £8-9m on Abdallah Sima who has played no games for us yet, 2 for Stoke (no goals) and 12 for Angers (no goals). You're always going to be a bit hit and miss with young players and Gilmour, despite the hype, is still only 21.

On point two, Norwich absolutely STUNK the place out. I think the reason why Gilmour struggled is that a 20 year old kid on loan might not be able to transform a woeful team into even a decent one.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I thought he was the kind of player that RDZ would like. Odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here