Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As we're all coming up with suggestions for what may or may not be going on. Perhaps his purchase was some sort of 'peace' deal after the other shenanigans that went on between us and Chelsea. Perhaps the player didn't want the move to us in the first place.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
As we're all coming up with suggestions for what may or may not be going on. Perhaps his purchase was some sort of 'peace' deal after the other shenanigans that went on between us and Chelsea. Perhaps the player didn't want the move to us in the first place.
Not really. Billy came to us when Graham was still the manager, possibly because he was the manager. The shenanigans came later, I think.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Not really. Billy came to us when Graham was still the manager, possibly because he was the manager. The shenanigans came later, I think.
I am pretty sure Potter knew he was going well before the event happened. Fabrizio Romano probably knew in the summer :).

Do you think those contracts for all those people to transfer were prepared in a little over 24 hours?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am pretty sure Potter knew he was going well before the event happened. Fabrizio Romano probably knew in the summer :).

Do you think those contracts for all those people to transfer were prepared in a little over 24 hours?
Highly unlikely. Why would they not make the change sooner if they knew by the last day of the transfer window (when Billy moved) that they would sack Tuchel and hire Potter? Why did they sign players for Tuchel, specifically requested by him, in the final days of the transfer window if they knew he'd go?
He moved to 'Graham Potter's Brighton'.

Who knows, but we all will be the end of next month.
It is obvious he didn't sign as some part of the GP-to-Chelsea-agreement, because it makes absolutely no sense in any thinkable way.
It seems likely GP played a role in bringing him over to Brighton however, but that doesn't mean the outcome would have been any different than it might turn out now.

Personally I think it is all quite simple. Billy has been around for a while now and RDZ (and possibly Potter before him) has seen a lot of him and thinks he is not a good enough replacement if Ali Mac or Caicedo would get injured. He's also at a stage of his career where he really needs game time, which he is unlikely to get enough of as it stands (especially if another midfielder is brought in, which I think is likely).
A loan deal that may or may not see him develop into a good enough player makes sense both for BHA and for Billy. After that, a new decision can be made - sell (should be able to get most of the money back) or keep.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014

I love a conspiracy as much as the next man but don’t go along with that.

Graham had taken us to 4th in the Premier league and was flavour of the month.

No, I don’t think Romano knew in the summer because he usually flags up all sorts of rumours to look itk. If he did about Graham I must have missed it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Highly unlikely. Why would they not make the change sooner if they knew by the last day of the transfer window (when Billy moved) that they would sack Tuchel and hire Potter? Why did they sign players for Tuchel, specifically requested by him, in the final days of the transfer window if they knew he'd go?

It is obvious he didn't sign as some part of the GP-to-Chelsea-agreement, because it makes absolutely no sense in any thinkable way.
It seems likely GP played a role in bringing him over to Brighton however, but that doesn't mean the outcome would have been any different than it might turn out now.

Personally I think it is all quite simple. Billy has been around for a while now and RDZ (and possibly Potter before him) has seen a lot of him and thinks he is not a good enough replacement if Ali Mac or Caicedo would get injured. He's also at a stage of his career where he really needs game time, which he is unlikely to get enough of as it stands (especially if another midfielder is brought in, which I think is likely).
A loan deal that may or may not see him develop into a good enough player makes sense both for BHA and for Billy. After that, a new decision can be made - sell (should be able to get most of the money back) or keep.
and there lies the problem Caicedo & Mac are both likely to command £50+ transfer fees whilst Billy was £10m . If you want a ready replacement you have to pay that sort of money. Clearly Brighton's strategy is to develop so getting him some game is good for the player and probably means Brighton are not looking to sell either Mac or Caicedo in January unless we are looking at say £30m market and look to make some profit.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
and there lies the problem Caicedo & Mac are both likely to command £50+ transfer fees whilst Billy was £10m . If you want a ready replacement you have to pay that sort of money. Clearly Brighton's strategy is to develop so getting him some game is good for the player and probably means Brighton are not looking to sell either Mac or Caicedo in January unless we are looking at say £30m market and look to make some profit.
Yes, but Caicedo and Mac were only £10M or less when we brought them in. RDZ may well want to bring in 'his own' player(s) - but I don't see us paying £30M for anybody.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So you're agreeing, there is a chance then?
I think there is a chance that GPs agent had received information that he would be the Chelsea number one choice if they sacked Tuchel, maybe a week or two before it happened. But there's no chance Billy Gilmour had anything to do with the agreement, and there's no chance that a manager change was decided before they spent like £100m buying players that Tuchel specifically asked for.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes, but Caicedo and Mac were only £10M or less when we brought them in. RDZ may well want to bring in 'his own' player(s) - but I don't see us paying £30M for anybody.
neither went straight into the team though did they and Caicedo only got his chance because Moder was injured. I agree RDZ has put in a statement he wants x & y players and maybe the club has said ok so who goes....

A lot of conjecture which I guess is one of the purposes of this board. Personally thought he would fit in well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I don't think it's remotely simple. Because you, I and the rest on here don't have any inside info. You're making two assumptions: that we sell/loan Gilmour in Jan; and we bring in a midfielder in Jan. Both, one or none of those might happen. We simply don't know; it's that simple.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
neither went straight into the team though did they and Caicedo only got his chance because Moder was injured. I agree RDZ has put in a statement he wants x & y players and maybe the club has said ok so who goes....

A lot of conjecture which I guess is one of the purposes of this board. Personally thought he would fit in well.
True, and neither has Billy Gilmour! Like Caicedo (or Mac) he could come in after a few months when somebody is injured or suspended. I was puzzled, though, that he didn't get a kick against Villa in the desert.

A fine topic for conjecture, methinks! :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think it's remotely simple. Because you, I and the rest on here don't have any inside info. You're making two assumptions: that we sell/loan Gilmour in Jan; and we bring in a midfielder in Jan. Both, one or none of those might happen. We simply don't know; it's that simple.
Yeah of course I don't know, as little as the ones speculating in whether Billy is evil or part of some kind of shadyconspiracy-exchange with Chelsea. Not sure why you're pointing my theory that it is quite simple (= Billy needs to play football and Brighton might need a more defensively solid midfielder to back up Ali Mac/Caicedo) specifically.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yeah of course I don't know, as little as the ones speculating in whether Billy is evil or part of some kind of shadyconspiracy-exchange with Chelsea. Not sure why you're pointing my theory that it is quite simple (= Billy needs to play football and Brighton might need a more defensively solid midfielder to back up Ali Mac/Caicedo) specifically.
and this is why I thought he is better suited as cover for Lallana - which is why I was perplexed that he didn't come on for Lallana v Villa???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here