Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour SINGED on a four-year contract

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Looks like this one is over:

“Chelsea reluctant to sanction Gilmour's Brighton move.

Chelsea are reluctant to sanction Billy Gilmour’s proposed permanent move to Brighton due to the club’s injury problems in central midfield, according to The Athletic.” SSN

athletic says the ownership are reluctant to let him go, tuchel isn't and and he's the one who'll have the final decision

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Totally agree... if this is true, which I suspect it is, well, I can’t really understand it... if I was Alzate I would be a bit miffed in all honesty, as he played well in the cup scored a superb goal and then gets overlooked for Mwepu... who, and I take no pleasure in this, was abject and all over the place at Fulham.

Now, obviously I’m not privy to the tactical reasons for the current selection policy nor am I there at training ... but I can’t help feeling that if we ease Alzate out, we will live to regret it when he turns up at a CL club.

The thing is - and here is another instance where I agree totally with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] - you either get Brilliant Mwepu or Abject Mwepu. The former is far better than Alzate and the latter would look out of place in the Scottish Championship. And you never know which one you'll get. I once questioned his decision making, only for him to be absolutely brilliant in the next game, making great decisions. I think they call him The Computer because every now again he needs a few files adding, a few deleting and often a complete reboot.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
athletic says the ownership are reluctant to let him go, tuchel isn't and and he's the one who'll have the final decision

Is he? Bizarre.

Reading between the lines, it was Big Todd who was desperate for Cucu and did all the bulk of the negotiations with Barber. The Todd seems to take a huge interest in their player ins/outs and potentially is deeply involved at every stage.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The thing is - and here is another instance where I agree totally with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] - you either get Brilliant Mwepu or Abject Mwepu. The former is far better than Alzate and the latter would look out of place in the Scottish Championship. And you never know which one you'll get. I once questioned his decision making, only for him to be absolutely brilliant in the next game, making great decisions. I think they call him The Computer because every now again he needs a few files adding, a few deleting and often a complete reboot.

Mwepu is certainly mr inconsistency, which is something I guess GP is also (obviously) astutely aware of but clearly deemed the risk worthwhile on Tuesday. . . Yes, on his day he is capable of the world class and I guess Alzate hasn’t demonstrated that elite level capability just yet, but for me, has shown enough PL quality to be given a chance, especially following on from the ZX 48k level display we saw the other night... again, not to sidetrack too greatly into a Mwepu vs Alzate debate... moreover, for me, it’s Alzate vs Gilmour and Steven is my preference plain and simple and deserves a show of faith. If this is a more long term AL replacement strategy then errrmmm okay I guess but it’ll be costly and risky too... that and more pertinently we’re overloaded with central midfielders... even losing Biss, and Moder... it’s just an odd pursuit in my eyes.

Hey ho, it’s all outside of my/our control and if he signs I’ll be willing him to do well and prove his quality.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

"Chelsea’s position on Gilmour could change if they manage to sign another midfielder on deadline day, with Ajax star Edson Alvarez the subject of a €50 million offer on Wednesday."

It sounds like this one could be happening, Alvarez has failed to turn up to training today in order to force the move. This would lead to Gilmour being allowed to leave. Fingers crossed.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We need a proven striker not Billy Gilmour ffs.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
"Chelsea’s position on Gilmour could change if they manage to sign another midfielder on deadline day, with Ajax star Edson Alvarez the subject of a €50 million offer on Wednesday."

It sounds like this one could be happening, Alvarez has failed to turn up to training today in order to force the move. This would lead to Gilmour being allowed to leave. Fingers crossed.

Ajax have been totally pillaged this window. Manager and seemingly an entire team!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We need to keep an eye on 12 months and 24 months time, Billy Gilmour is a player who could develop into a first team player for us over time. I don't think anyone thinks we're keeping Caicedo for more than another 12 months so we need to think about the progression planning, which I think has taken a bit of a backseat this summer. There has been Enciso who has come in, but have we future proofed this squad? I don't think so.

I would like to see an experienced striker come in, someone at least 26 and with a good number of top level games under their belt. I'm not sure who that would be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We think we've been raided this summer - Ajax are losing all of their best players!

That's their model though, right? And they're still 100% in the league this season.

I actually think TB wants us to be a cross between Ajax and the Southampton of a few years ago.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The key question for me is does Gilmour want to come here. That can only be known by

Looking through Billy Gilmour's eyes
Looking through Billy Gilmour's eyes

The eye receives the messages,
And sends them to the brain.
No guarantee the stimuli must be perceived the same

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's their model though, right? And they're still 100% in the league this season.

I actually think TB wants us to be a cross between Ajax and the Southampton of a few years ago.

I bet their equivalent of NSC is a fun read today :smile:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Maybe we should sell all the other players and the training ground so we can go large on this striker.
What?? With all the money that we have accumulated through sales perhaps we should go large for once to get what we need? Ever thought about that?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
You do know that it is possible to do more than one transfer at a time, right?

Err. Yes. But's let's focus on the essentials and Gilmour doesn't fall into that category, at least in my view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here