Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour SINGED on a four-year contract

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
That's their model though, right? And they're still 100% in the league this season.

I actually think TB wants us to be a cross between Ajax and the Southampton of a few years ago.
It is their model but they seem to have lost it a bit recently. Signing older players, and no youth players coming through. Also teams like Brighton have encroached on their south American patch.

Ajax are on a major downward trajectory.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Err. Yes. But's let's focus on the essentials and Gilmour doesn't fall into that category, at least in my view.
We could sell Caicedo and Mac Allister next summer, it absolutely is important.

Do you think our scouting and recruitment teams are capable of only focusing on one player at a time? Perhaps it's possible we're working on bringing in Gilmour at the same time as a striker?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We’ve played recently with 4 CMs some say it’s in a Cruyff Diamond (I’d argue rather than 3-3-1-3 it’s more just a square we’ve used but sure can argue some elements of the fancier formation have been adopted). I can’t help but think that’s because Trossard was filling in as a kind of left wing back. Surely he has to start most games somewhere forward now and we’ll be more often than not playing 3 of our CMs as we look so much better with a back 3/5 to me than a 4. Our CMs unit is beginning to look like it will be hitting double figures personnel wise when Moder eventually returns. I like Gilmour but somewhere we need to make some decisions on the depth and loan a couple people out if we’ll start 3 not 4 of them most of the time.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Do you think our scouting and recruitment teams are capable of only focusing on one player at a time? Perhaps it's possible we're working on bringing in Gilmour at the same time as a striker?

Let's hope so.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
That's their model though, right? And they're still 100% in the league this season.

I actually think TB wants us to be a cross between Ajax and the Southampton of a few years ago.

Or the Benfica model.

There was an interesting piece written in 2019 that claimed Benfica had made £864m profit from players sales in the previous 10 years.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Would you need the 'by the sea' bit? Southampton and Amsterdam are not exactly inland.

Well the, admittedly not particularly funny, pun was that it sounded like "Sussex by the Sea" (possibly said with a lisp). I do not know why they added "by the sea" to old song though, better than "by the sewage" at least...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Absolutely. Of course they can focus on more than one player.

Also, sometimes you need to get the right player at the wrong time. No one was sure where Veltman fitted in when he joined but he was an absolute steal and now look at him.

If I have an issue with Gilmour it's more about the player himself than the position but if our recruitment team want him I'm going to trust them!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Pissing in the wind with this one, complete waste of time, He was on the bench Tuesday, along with the Chelsea owner is reluctant to sell and looking to loan him out to Olympiacos.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We need to keep an eye on 12 months and 24 months time, Billy Gilmour is a player who could develop into a first team player for us over time. I don't think anyone thinks we're keeping Caicedo for more than another 12 months so we need to think about the progression planning.

This is how we operate. The fact that we are not in the news on DDay is a sign of our success. We do our business in a different way, one step ahead of the opposition, much like Potter's tactics. I would be much more concerned if Trossard, Caicedo were being touted to the big clubs.

Having said that, I am 'fence' on Gilmour. Not convinced he is better than Alzate who may well slip down the pecking order as a result.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
God this would be such a "meh" signing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is how we operate. The fact that we are not in the news on DDay is a sign of our success. We do our business in a different way, one step ahead of the opposition, much like Potter's tactics. I would be much more concerned if Trossard, Caicedo were being touted to the big clubs.

Having said that, I am 'fence' on Gilmour. Not convinced he is better than Alzate who may well slip down the pecking order as a result.

Well l'm not convinced about Alzate either to be honest, he seems to have been on the fringe of breaking into the first team for two or three full seasons now.

Part of me thinks that at very nearly 24, if he was going to make it, he should be further ahead in his development by now. If we can sign Gilmour without breaking the bank to do so, then l would be happy to do so.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We want to sign players with a resale value, who are hungry to play, ambitious and good on the ball. It’s a yea from me because he seems to tick all those boxes.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

I would say it's how we've operated over the last few years, but not this summer. I wonder if it's just a case of settling in for David Weir or whether this represents a shift in focus away from what has been a successful transfer model. We haven't really noticed the loss of Bissouma because the players to replace him were already here. We did have to go out and do some business to get Estupinan, as we did with Cucurella last summer. But the lack of progression options at left back/wing back is a problem which hasn't been addressed. I'd say the same at right back/wing back.

Gilmour would make sense, he's obviously a talented boy who we could develop over the next season or so. My issue is that we haven't got players in this window to protect us if we were to sell Lamptey/Esupinan etc next summer. I feel like the progression planning either hasn't happened in the same way or we haven't got the business done and I am concerned.

Realistically, we're only ever 2 bad windows away from having to go out and bring in a lot of players to try and cover where we're short, which is an expensive gamble which ultimately leads to relegation.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I am not convinced he is any better than the polish international we have just sent on loan to Holland to gain experience.

In a years time we could have a player on our hands!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here