Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

biggest english young talent who has ultimately failed?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Think to include Nicky Weaver is a bit unfair .... he's been permanently injured for three years (something like 5 knee operations). He's only about 24 and if he gets fit am sure he could still be a good keeper prospect for England in the future - certainly a better prospect than Walker

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
METALMICKY said:
David Lee surely:p

Closely run by Ashley Neale and Mark Farrington:clap2:

David Lee doesn't count cos they have to show talent and promise to start with!!!!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Lee Sharpe for me.
He was awesome for utd as a youngster and was that left sided player were all afer.

matthew le tissier - 10/10 for loyalty and all but....................

ben roberts (oooh controversy) - as featured in 442 as one of England's top five keepers only three years ago and now............

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Safeway said:
I'm pretty sure his father (Wilson) was English and his mother (maiden name Giggs) Welsh, and when they divorced he took his mother's name and nationality.

What a prize NOBBER.

His father was a Welsh rugby international. RG was born in Wales and his parents were Welsh. For about the 517th time, he is not qualified to play for England (even if he wanted to).

Ashe has made clear in several interviews, he is happy to play for Wales.

And I would scarcely say that he has had a wasted career.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Cheeky Monkey said:
Jack Wilde, who at 12 played the Artful Dodger in 'Oliver', a blistering talent who unfortunately succumbed to booze and drugs and certainly never fulfilled his potential to be one of this country's greatest character actors.

and now looks at least 140 last time i saw him on a chat show.

from boy wonder to britain's oldest (looking) man in 30 years.....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Storer68 said:
matthew le tissier - 10/10 for loyalty and all but....................

ben roberts (oooh controversy) - as featured in 442 as one of England's top five keepers only three years ago and now............

the same 442 who had peter smith in the boys a bit special

Koaste

Jun 18, 2004
BN3
Nicky Rust. Remember he used to be England U21 third keeper. Then he went to Cambridge City or somewhere remote and became shit. Anywone heard 'owt from him recently?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
TC said:
Good call. Much to do with injuries though.:nono:

But isn't Fowler still rumoured to be on £60K a week? Crazy money for a distinctly average player.

:ohmy:

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
robbie fowler was really never given a proper chance. he had to compete with alan shearer and then when golden boy owen came along he was pushed out of the picture. He was an awesome striker in the prem for liverpool and scored some important goals.

as for failed talent, people saying bobby zamoras name are crazy. he's only young at the moment, plays for an ok team, wasnt given a chance at spurs by pratt hoddle and so one day in the near future he will be in the england squad i think.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Going back a bit but how about Clive Allen, or perhaps he should be termed a one season wonder, then you could also include Kevin Phillips.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
McManaman for me. I know a couple of posters on here have said that he has not exactly had a bad career, but I think he may only just be 30 and is going nowhere.

Ironic, that he is with his mate Fowler, and Maccas wife is agent for the both of them and James.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here