Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest Albion game you have missed and reason why

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Both the cup finals in 83 because I could'nt get tickets.

Play off final against Notts county because I was away on holiday.

Play off final against Bristol City, could've got a ticket but could'nt get the day off work.

At least I can never be accused of being a glory hunter. :lolol:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
bamber sold on part(thousands) of our allocation to united, everyone who had the vouchers from earlier rounds, or at least one of them, got a ticket.

he didn't want to risk being stuck with unsold blocks so united got most of the upper tiers

That might be true, but point is accurate.

To be honest the culture at the time was that every professional club/player did the same.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
bamber sold on part(thousands) of our allocation to united, everyone who had the vouchers from earlier rounds, or at least one of them, got a ticket.

he didn't want to risk being stuck with unsold blocks so united got most of the upper tiers

I don't remember there being any vouchers at games earlier in the cup run, I went to the games against Newcastle and Man City, my brother also went to the Norwich game...didn't get any, otherwise we would have gone to the Final.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
indeed manure fans were in among us from touted tickets but the vast majority in the upper tiers got part of our allocation entitlement.
bamber did a deal to guarantee a percentage cut for the albion.

but if you had the vouchers and i think you only needed one,you got a ticket.

i know i did

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Both legs of the Swindon play-off game, I was on holiday, my dad was completely pissed - there was two TV's in the bar one with our game on and one with a Spanish game on, when extra time began he found himself staring at the wrong TV lambasting the bar staff asking them why they had turned the Brighton game off :lolol: When we eventaully won he stumbled all the way back to the hotel singing every Brighton song known to man, boy were the locals confused. :lolol:

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Brighton 1-0 Chesterfield - on holiday
Swindon 0-1 Brighton - couldnt get ticket
Brighton 1-2 Swindon - on holiday
Brighton 1-0 Bristol City - on holiday
Palace 0-1 Brighton - too young to go by myself and dad didnt want to go
Brighton 2-2 Man City - on holiday, although booked holiday after knowing when game was

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
I don't remember there being any vouchers at games earlier in the cup run, I went to the games against Newcastle and Man City, my brother also went to the Norwich game...didn't get any, otherwise we would have gone to the Final.

deffo vouchers in at least one of the earlier rounds and they guaranteed tickets for later rounds.

my wife laughed when i told her i had to go to the game to get my voucher but i was right in the end.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
The "centenary" game against Bournemouth. Had a ticket. Was even in the Nelson, with the usual mates, for pre-match drinks. Had a few too many pre-match drinks and me and nother mate hit upon the idea of just keeping on drinking. We tossed a 50p piece. Heads we stay, tales we'll go. We stayed!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Hereford in 97, Had ticket but had my bike accident on the Thursday before the game.

Gutted as had to listen to it in hospital.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The last game at the Goldstone! I was 14 and wasn’t allowed to go, my brother went with all his school mates and managed to get himself on the 9 o’clock news, albeit very briefly, he doesn’t even support Brighton any more.

Jan 30, 2008
In my Albion lifetime it would probabily be Grimsby away where we needed to stay up on the last day of the season back in 2003.

I've always managed to get a ticket for a game that i have wanted to go to but didn't really travel away much back then as didn't really know that many people to travel with.
should of did what i done then ,sat in their main stand and gave em some when we scored !!

Vouchers were in the programme for the three home games over the Christmas period which the club were trying to sell as a block of tickets.

I seem to recall that the games were against not particulalry exciting teams (and we were bumping along the bottom three of Division 1 at the time). Watford being one - possibly Norwich and or Everton and/or Aston Villa???

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Vouchers were in the programme for the three home games over the Christmas period which the club were trying to sell as a block of tickets.

I seem to recall that the games were against not particulalry exciting teams (and we were bumping along the bottom three of Division 1 at the time). Watford being one - possibly Norwich and or Everton and/or Aston Villa???

I seem to recall the corners of my membership card being removed. One for the semi final ticket and one for the final. I don't remember any vouchers.

Biggest match I've missed that I wanted to go to was the championship winning game against Chesterfield. It was a rearranged date as it had been postponed on the original date (how many people actually remember that?) and I couldn't make the original date so didn't buy a ticket. When the revised date was announced and I could go, I couldn't get a ticket for love nor money, so went to the cinema instead. No idea now what I saw or who I went with!

Other than that, I missed the entire season that ended at Hereford. After the York City game / "riot", I just lost the will to go, and only started going again in the middle of the first season at Gillingham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here