Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest Albion game you have missed and reason why

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Biggest game I've missed is the Cup game home to Arsenal in 87/88. Was working away in Texas. It was pre internet so not easy to keep tabs on the score. I was working on a Saturday morning with world service crackling on the radio.
PG

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Reading 3-1 at home - 2002. I'd booked a long weekend away to Brussels with the missus ready to come back on the Tuesday afternoon. The game was subsequently re-arranged for the previous night because Reading had a live match on the Thursday.

5-0 at Palace. Went for another long weekend - to Madrid this time.

Ho-hum, swings and roundabouts etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Couldn't get a ticket for Hereford away and was too young (with relatively disinterested parents) for the FA Cup final/replay

I seem to recall the corners of my membership card being removed. One for the semi final ticket and one for the final. I don't remember any vouchers.

Biggest match I've missed that I wanted to go to was the championship winning game against Chesterfield. It was a rearranged date as it had been postponed on the original date (how many people actually remember that?) and I couldn't make the original date so didn't buy a ticket. When the revised date was announced and I could go, I couldn't get a ticket for love nor money, so went to the cinema instead. No idea now what I saw or who I went with!

Other than that, I missed the entire season that ended at Hereford. After the York City game / "riot", I just lost the will to go, and only started going again in the middle of the first season at Gillingham.

There was no membership scheme then. So you could not have had the corner of your card clipped as you didn't have to be a member to watch the Albion.

Membership schemes didn't come in to effect after the Football Spectators Act was passed in 1989 - a response to Heysel - a little time after our appearance in the Cup Final.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Man City game this season. Was see-sawing over whether to go the whole day, had a mate offering to get tickets, but JUST about decided that I didn't have the money. Idiot.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
2 MASSIVE games mised for me.

Newcastle away when we won promotion to Div 1. Don't know why I didn't go as my dad and brother both did and we all used to go to football together. Maybe because I was only 13.

FA Cup Final. I was in the RAF at the time, and despite having a ticket, and a rather lovely SACW to do my shift, my Sergeant would not let me have a days leave. Was at the replay though.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There was no membership scheme then. So you could not have had the corner of your card clipped as you didn't have to be a member to watch the Albion.

Membership schemes didn't come in to effect after the Football Spectators Act was passed in 1989 - a response to Heysel - a little time after our appearance in the Cup Final.

So what membership card did I have and why were the corners missing? I wish I'd kept it now, so I could try to work out what that was all about!

Still don't remember vouchers for the cup final, but guess I must have had some, as I got a ticket.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
'83 final.
In the forces .. made worse by the fact that I was working on a Seaking with a United fan who twatted me every time they scored. he joined the navy to escape borstal because of violent tendencies.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Hereford.

I've told the story on here before, but very briefly...

Family Wedding - threatened with all sorts of stuff if I didn't attend etc...

Listened to game on tiny Radio hidden under table at the Reception, through an earphone - when RR scored it was right in the middle of the Bride's fathers speech....that's when the rest of the family wished I had gone to the game.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The '83 cup final. I couldn't get tickets. Can't remember exactly why, I had been to every game that season.

Me too. I suspect you might have missed the Stoke match which suddenly became designated a voucher game for the semis and final. So the other 15 home games you went to counted for nothing. Probably just as well NSC wasn't around at that time, it would have been the mother of all Cup tickets threads.

I also missed the last game at the Goldstone. Had a ticket, but after a big argument had to work at the Whitbread Gold Cup at Sandown Park, which was on the same day. Hereford was some consolation, though.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Like (it seems) quite a few here, I missed both Cup Finals because I couldn't get tickets.

Gutted to have missed the first. Quite relieved I missed the replay.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The 1910 Charity Shield - grandfather might have gone as he went to games at Stamford Bridge then

The mother of all games to have missed tbh - the Albion winning the Charity Shield FFS! No excuses really as there were plenty of preview articles in the Illustrated London News in the weeks leading up to the game, but I was saving up for a ticket for the Titanic's maiden voyage and couldn't afford the to do the old CS as well.

:(

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
2 MASSIVE games mised for me.

Newcastle away when we won promotion to Div 1. Don't know why I didn't go as my dad and brother both did and we all used to go to football together. Maybe because I was only 13.

FA Cup Final. I was in the RAF at the time, and despite having a ticket, and a rather lovely SACW to do my shift, my Sergeant would not let me have a days leave. Was at the replay though.

I missed the Newcastle game too, but I didn't really go at all at the time. I was at boarding school and we were doing a sponsored walk that day - I remember walking around some woods near Seaford with a radio stuck to my ear.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Play off final against Bristol City, could've got a ticket but could'nt get the day off work.

I had work that day, i paid someone there days wages on top of what they were already getting paid and half of that again if we won.

cunty cunty palace fan of a manager wouldnt let me have the day off and that was the only option.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I missed the Newcastle game too, but I didn't really go at all at the time. I was at boarding school and we were doing a sponsored walk that day - I remember walking around some woods near Seaford with a radio stuck to my ear.

Ah good old Newlands Prep - you weren't involved in the big scrap V Seaford Head on Sutton Park Road circa 1982 per chance?

;)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I missed the '83 cup final because I hadn't been born yet.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Cup Final. I was two.

Palace 5v0. My girlfriend at the time had arranged to take me away as it was my 21st birthday (and I was up in Hull).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here