Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bielsa on his way? (Update, left Leeds "by mutual consent")

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I just don’t buy all this “bad luck with injuries” stuff. It’s a very obvious outcome of Bielsa’s methods.

If I owned a racehorse and made it spend all week galloping around at full speed over massive jumps, I’m not going to get much sympathy when it transpires it’s always knackered or injured come race day.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I just don’t buy all this “bad luck with injuries” stuff. It’s a very obvious outcome of Bielsa’s methods.

If I owned a racehorse and made it spend all week galloping around at full speed over massive jumps, I’m not going to get much sympathy when it transpires it’s always knackered or injured come race day.

Same with Mopo, players also switch off to it quickly.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Rather more than "very average" in my opinion, it's easy to knock a manager when things aren't going well, but it needs to be remembered that some of the problems he has come across this season have been out of his control, i.e. a chronic injury list, with many of his better players unavailable for selection, Patrick Bamford for instance who has been prolific for them upfront.

A shame though that there was never ever a Plan B, and an unwillingness to bolster his defence, even after suffering several heavy defeats, and it was this, that finally cost him his job.

A pity, as his teams were a delight to watch.

Err...

He was the one who wanted a squad of 18 players, and didn't want reinforcements in January : shrug:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Rather more than "very average" in my opinion, it's easy to knock a manager when things aren't going well, but it needs to be remembered that some of the problems he has come across this season have been out of his control, i.e. a chronic injury list, with many of his better players unavailable for selection, Patrick Bamford for instance who has been prolific for them upfront.

A shame though that there was never ever a Plan B, and an unwillingness to bolster his defence, even after suffering several heavy defeats, and it was this, that finally cost him his job.

A pity, as his teams were a delight to watch.

A delight to play against for us.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Indeed, likely a big part of the reasons they got promotion was a break in games due to covid, and maybe did well last season as games were condensed, so he didn't have the opportunity to demolish the players in between games.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

When they got promoted, there was a lot made about how they benefited from the covid break, giving their players a chance to rest up (I remember a particular reporter facing a lot of abuse for regurgitating this) and avoid another end of season slump in form that came about because they worked so hard from the start of the season and simply tire, with others pointing out a similar pattern of tailing off toward the end of the season with at least one other of Bielsa's clubs.

We can't know if they would have had another late season slump (their pre-covid form was great, but it was almost identical to the same period the previous season so doesn't prove that no slump would follow). And they had a strong finish to their first season in the premier league. There are fewer games in the premier league so, again, it's not the strongest argument against the Bielsa Late Season Slump[SUP]TM[/SUP].

It is entirely possible that this season's poor form, and the injuries, is a result of that late slump simply being delayed because of the shorter (in game numbers) season.

I don't think many Leeds fans will agree. They, like so many of us, don't like to think our achievements are the product of things other than our own efforts and greatness. Our failures are always outside influence. So that covid break - nothing to do with it, they were just great and brilliant and wonderful. The failure this season? It's covid. It's the completely and utterly random injuries (which are nothing to do with their approach). It's the referees and VAR.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bielsa changed everything for everyone according to Bamford. Unfortunately it seems he turned defenders into attackers so they forgot their original roles!!

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
The Bielssiah has fallen. We should be forever thankful for the miracle of turning water into £50m of wine

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Turned Ben White into a £50m international player all on his own in 1 season, bizarre he hasnt just done that with the rest of the Leeds squad. Must all be part of the master plan for the greatest manager in football history. :ffsparr:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
His interpreter said "it's football,it looks like rain and broken biscuits, but the octopus has many arms and will be on a ferry in a pink dress"

It's hard to disagree with any of that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What with this thread and the debate about Potter I'm beginning to think that success in football is entirely down to circumstances.

Commonly known as 'luck'.

And money, of course.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here