Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bielsa on his way? (Update, left Leeds "by mutual consent")

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is reported was on about 8 million which is huge. Obviously he got them into the championship so that could be argued good value but that is a huge salary. My point is about the apparent contradiction of the “man of the people” tag when he gets so highly paid. Surely if he was that much of a man of the people he would do it for a fraction of that and insist it was spent on the team?

I class it as excessive in comparison to other premier league managers. Is he worth 4 times as much as potter?

Well, if your figures are correct, you have access to information (especially Potter's salary) that is beyond my reach.

Excessive though? In a free market economy it is what it is :shrug: Big Sam was (allegedly) on far more.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Well, if your figures are correct, you have access to information (especially Potter's salary) that is beyond my reach.

Excessive though? In a free market economy it is what it is :shrug: Big Sam was (allegedly) on far more.

But I mean in comparison to the “man of the people” tag who lives in a little flat and shops at Morrisons. If he was such a man of people then why does he need that wage when it is taking money from their club. That is my point. Not about the economics of it. Just how can you be man of people but also demand that big wage.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But I mean in comparison to the “man of the people” tag who lives in a little flat and shops at Morrisons. If he was such a man of people then why does he need that wage when it is taking money from their club. That is my point. Not about the economics of it. Just how can you be man of people but also demand that big wage.

How do you know he 'demanded' it? Maybe he was simply offered it.

Look, Bielsa is eccentric. My guess is (well I won't bore you with the details, but he's unusual, let's say). He lived above a chip shop because he felt comfortable there. It wasn't a stunt. I understand him perfectly well. The great unwashed of Leeds would have worshipped him just as much if he'd bought himself a nice big pad. And he was always on a one year contract. If he'd been a money grubber he'd have signed a lengthy Potter-style deal, shirley? ???

You're being unfair to the man. He brough excitement to Leeds and was paid for his efforts. He never claimed to be the ragged trousered philanthropist.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
You think That in long drawn out contract negotiations he didn’t ask for more money?

He gets paid loads and is a one trick pony. Potter figured him out early!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
A funny thing about Dirty Leeds ‘GREAT’ Championship season.

Exactly the same number of points as us in our promotion season.
Exactly the same number of wins,
Exactly the same number of draws
Exactly the same number of losses.

They won the Division by 10 points,
We came second.

That shows the difference in quality of the Division in those 2 seasons.
On the flip side, they also finished top 10 in their first ever Premier League season. It's only now that the wheels have fallen off

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not read the entire thread yet, but in case nobody has made the below point ..........

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Doesn’t he donate a lot of it to one of his previous clubs in Argentina ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So what do think of Jesse Marsch as their next manager? Seems like a gamble in the short term. Not the type of manager to roll his sleeves in a relegation battle. Might be a good long term bet though if they stay up?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60544602

Isnt he another high press, high energy manager?

If they are going for the same sort of manager, why sack Bielsa?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Why does any young man who plays football for a living desperately need a 100% pay rise when he's already on £50K a week (£2.5M a year)? I think in both cases - and in the case of mega-earners in other businesses too - it's just a case of the more money you've got the greedier you get.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Never got the Bielsa antipathy on here. Isn’t it obvious that Leeds have the poorest squad in the division. He’s overachieved even where they are now. If a new manager comes in and does well obviously I’ll be wrong but I can’t see it

I'm not sure where to start with this.

He's been there about four years, and has spent over £150m on new players. (including Rodrigo £26m / James £25m / Llorente £17m / Raphinha £16m / Costa £15m / Firpo £13m / Koch £11m / Harrison £10m / Bamford £10m / Meslier £6m).

That isn't including the £18m they still owe Liepzig for a player Bielsa committed to buying then changed his mind.

If the squad is the 'poorest' in the division after that amount of money spent, and time to correct it, even MORE reason to sack the bloke.

kjgood

You've got to laugh. Everyone kept saying he was the Messiah of football, but his teams just keep leaking goals.

He got a very well financed team promoted, had a honeymoon season and the it all fell to pieces.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very average manager.

His translator will be able to make a fortune doing appearance fees now.

He's not the Messiah, he's (A very naughty boy) a very average manager.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Unusually, didn't his 'wage' include all his backroom staff? I'll be honest - I can't be ars*d to check.

(But when I heard about it I did briefly ponder the tax implications!)

I have no idea. Also re giving money back to old clubs, I have no idea. I wondered if it was something like that because he does seem a man of the people but it just made an interesting apparent contradiction.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
2E0B4C6C-77CB-4C78-84EE-E0897D782DE0.gif

Their very own ted lasso.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here