Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best/Worst Away Venue

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Best - Derby

Worst - Portsmouth

Difficult to choose best and worst, I have been to a few grounds that were distinctly average but the atmosphere was superb (Peterborough for the snowy FA Cup game) and others that should be good but aren't, like Stoke. I liked Derby this season, it was the first really modern ground I had been to and reckon they did a good job, the view of the pitch was good, the atmosphere was fine and apart from a little confusion when too many people were in our part of the stand the stewards allowed us to stand. I have some bad memories of Portsmouth, going to one game and getting soaked to the bone and another where the police tried to shephard us back to the station, only for about 50 Pompey to pile into us from a side street. During their attack I saw an innocent passer by with a young child in a pushchair get knocked to the ground, they both looked terrified, not a nice day out.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Best for me has to Celtic Park, especially when at an Old Firm match. However, for Brighton it has to be by a country mile Highbury, great stadium, always a good atmosphere when we have played there a we won a cup semi final there. Worst - the old ground at Northampton. This seasonb - best Derby and the worst Stoke for obvious reasons.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What about Cambridge when you had to walk thru the allotments?

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Worst Five;

Oldham - It has rained everytime I've been there except for the time there was a blizzard. Don't get me started on the friendly pub that was the 'Old Mess House' Oh and we used to get a right hammering there, a 6-1 springs to mind

Canvey Island - Nice friendly locals who tried to kill us. No pubs and we played disgracefully

Grimsby - The clue is in the title. It really is Grim up north.

Barnsley - I will never forget the pub with bathroom cabinets to keep the spirts in and a formica 'bar'. Oh and REAL friendly fans too...

Kingstonians - Place was quite nice. I was having quite a good day until the game. Oh and nice friendly Met. police who kindly decided that we wanted to go to Victoria afterwards and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Brentford gets a dishonourable mention.

Best Five;

Ipswich - I've always liked going there.
Decent pubs, proper ground with atmosphere.

Peterborough - Proper if crap football ground, decentish pubs and always a good Albion turnout.

Blackpool - Terrible ground, but it's Blackpool.

QPR - Excellent football ground that generates a superb atmosphere.

Liverpool - The best day out I've ever had following the Albion, better even than the semi at Highbury.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Best Huddersfield ( I would say that wouln't I)

Worst - Luton, The old Den, Roker park, The baseball ground, did I mention Luton...shithole, withdean

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Buck said:
That was Watford.

Cambridge you had to go through that field with the cows in it (not your ex wife)....

Sorry yes thats the one...

And I didnt see any Slut Faced Whores in that field :angry: :angry: :angry: but she was probably there somewhere!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Infernal Optimist, you forgot to mention the assault by the police on a disabled Brighton fan following the final whistle at Kingstonian, that so enraged David Mellor on 606, he may have been a somewhat pompous failed MP but he sure stood by us on that terrible day.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Best - The Millennium stadium Cardiff. If that doesn't count, City of Manchester stadium.
Worst - Gillingham - the place is an abolsute dive and away end at Brentford - shocking.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Sneaky George said:
Best - The Millennium stadium Cardiff. If that doesn't count, City of Manchester stadium.
Worst - Gillingham - the place is an abolsute dive and away end at Brentford - shocking.

Brentford might be a shit gorund but it is easy to get to and has a pub on evey corner of the ground!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Lammy said:
Brentford might be a shit gorund but it is easy to get to and has a pub on evey corner of the ground!
Agree the drink before game is always the best thing about it as we always get stuffed. But I'm fed up with standing in streams of piss watching the Albion get thrashed 4 - 0. Next time, I'm going to stay in the pub!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Best for me has ALWAYS been Hillsburgh, the atmosphere in that place even half empty is just fantastic.

Worst, well not just saying this, but Reading now takes the biscuit just due to their plastic rent a fan auora of the dump.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Rougvie said:
Worst, well not just saying this, but Reading now takes the biscuit just due to their plastic rent a fan auora of the dump.

:lolol:

No bitterness there.....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Northstander said:
Best - Sunderland was special
Worst - Stoke (everytime)

I agree with Stoke. Real shocker. Always cold and windy and atmosphere disappears out of the ground. Worst new ground in England.

Best? - I liked Leicester and Derby

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here