Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best/Worst Away Venue

le fabue

Have an adequate day
Jan 19, 2005
Bramley
Worst - Luton Town. Absolutely woeful - dreadful leg room, your head is level with the pitch and however loud you sing your not heard.

Best - Man City - super design, great support.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Isnt it rather ironical that the worst ground according to many is The Brittania Stadium at Stoke, a new ground, I do not like the view from there as the players appear to be like midgets as you are so far away from one of the goals. The view at The Madjeski is much better and so is the access and leaving.

Do not agree with Sneaky George about Gillingham the place may be a s..thole but the ground and facilities for us when we were there were quite good

Best has to be Old Trafford
Worst Hartlepool or Darlingtons old ground.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Luton has to be the worst by some way. Anyone taller than Leon Knight can't sit down, feral children roam the streets, and the whole place feels like the grimmer bits of Baghdad.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Best: Kidderminster. Friendly locals and superb Cottage Pie in Gravy.
Worst: Colchester. No redeeming features.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Uncle Buck said:
WHL is not the best venue. It is indicative of those redeveloped grounds where they have shoved as many seats as possible into a stand, not taking into account that people need some room for their legs. End up in the wrong stand and you can have pillars in the way.

WHL is a lovely stadium! The pillars are for the home fans anyway! The big problem with WHL though is the access by public transport!

Upton Park loses out badly to that factor too!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Can't believe so many of you have said Stoke!?!?

Stoke IMO is one of the best new grounds about, much better than the just add water, awful lifeless bowls at Reading, Leicester etc.

If us always losing their is the only qualifier then their should be allot of other contenders for that mantle (Brentford!!!!).

Also can't believe no one has mentioned Macclesfield, worst toilets I've EVER been in!!

Other notable mentions are Cheltenham, Barnet, Oldham, Exeter.

Best for me, as a ground St James Park, Newcastle.

As an away trip, always had a good giggle in Peterborough.

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Gully said:
Infernal Optimist, you forgot to mention the assault by the police on a disabled Brighton fan following the final whistle at Kingstonian, that so enraged David Mellor on 606, he may have been a somewhat pompous failed MP but he sure stood by us on that terrible day.

Gully, you are quite right Sir, just adds to the list of disgraceful behaviour, we have suffered from the Met over the years.

Dixon would be turning in his grave if they hadn't redeveloped it as Starbucks or something...

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Arthur said:
Can't believe so many of you have said Stoke!?!?

Stoke IMO is one of the best new grounds about, much better than the just add water, awful lifeless bowls at Reading, Leicester etc.

If us always losing their is the only qualifier then their should be allot of other contenders for that mantle (Brentford!!!!).

It isn't just the fact that we always lose there. It is also the fact it can be a pain to get to. The fact that it has been deliberately designed to allow the wind blast the Away end. It is the fact that it is always bloody cold there. And it is the fact that you get wet even if you sit at the back of the stand.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Despite it being an utterly shit ground I always quite liked Barnet.
The same goes for Brentford and cambridge.
Thinking about it, there aren't any grounds that I hate. Brisbane Road was a bit of a shit hole but was always a pretty good away day. I didn't think that Leicester's new ground had much in the way of character going for it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Rotherham was great if only for the hot Pork Pies ... magic

Stoke and Leeds both f***ing freezing, and the latter far more a dump than it looks on TV. On the plus side, some good chip-based meals outside ...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I liked Exeter, for me it is probably the friendliest place I have been to watch the Albion play, went in a pub not far from the ground, think it may have been called something like the Victoria or Queen Vic, the locals could not have been any more welcoming. Have always liked Brentford, if it hadn't been for my parents deciding to move to Sussex when I was 5 I would almost certainly have ended up following them and not the Albion.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Best for old style ground has to be QPR simply for the atmosphere it creates.

best for new style has to be Sunderland (and very friendly people)

Worst is probably Gillingham, probably because of the memories of having to travel all the way to the shit-hole for home games.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Best Hillsbrough or Derby
Worst - Stoke

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I like my trips to QPR, always a good atmosphere.
Worst is a toss up between Stoke, Gillingham or Canvey Island.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would have said Stoke for worst away ground but was trying to be original in suggesting Pompey, can I change my mind?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here