Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best War Film

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Would Police Academy 2 Count? They Kind Of Went To War There.

I very much see Police Acadamy 1 and 2 as companion pieces that fit together to make a whole such as Full Metal jacket.

Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cativo

English title: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Certainly, one of my all time favourites, just recently missed it at the British Film Theatre. I would love to see it on the big screen, especially the grave yard shoot out scene, which I believe is one of - if not the - classic scenes of all films?

Can US beat that 10 minutes of sheer tense (but no) action?

LC

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I am booking tickets for The Good, The Bad and The Weird on at the London Film festival. Korean spaghetti western. Sounds cool.

Have you ever seen Tears of the Black Tiger?
It's Thai western-musical, and well good

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I very much see Police Acadamy 1 and 2 as companion pieces that fit together to make a whole such as Full Metal jacket.

For me the gunshot-enforced hop-dance of the one-legged sticher in Platoon is reminiscent of the heart-rending grief felt inside by Hightower after he was wrongly and racistly blamed for a mishap in the academy. Of course, the bullet in the head of the dancer was the opposite to Hightower´s thumping return to action on the rooftop when he has to choose between shooting Mahoney and the shouty little black women.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
dr.strangelove763806.jpg

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Saving Private Ryan...purely for the first 10 minutes.

One not mentioned but worth a look is "9th Company" Russian film set in Afghanistan based on true events.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
That carry on film when they all lifted their kilts,........... that was a good one

Last edited:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
In order:-

Killing Fields
The Deer Hunter
Downfall
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Original Flight of the Phoenix was good in an Ice Cold in Alex sort of way and could be construed as a war film as the German in it was a bit like a Nazi

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here