Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best videogames of all time

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
No it wasn't. It was a well-marketed RPG with a decent storyline but there was nothing technically groundbreaking about it whatsoever.
I beg to differ. It was the biggest game of it's time (4 CD's!!!) providing around 70 hours of gameplay, if you completed all the sub games. It was completely non-linear in it's format, and you got to ride Chocobo's (which are the coolest fictional animals in the world).

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
I beg to differ. It was the biggest game of it's time (4 CD's!!!) providing around 70 hours of gameplay, if you completed all the sub games. It was completely non-linear in it's format, and you got to ride Chocobo's (which are the coolest fictional animals in the world).

It was only 3 CD's on the Playstation (4 on PC) but even so, that isn't grounds for calling something "groundbreaking". Monkey Island came on something like 12 or 13 floppy disks, and whilst I think that's a good game other than a slight refinement of the SCUMM engine, it isn't particularly groundbreaking. I'm not sure why you consider it to be non-linear as the storyline is almost completely linear. Sure, you can stray away from it slightly, but you're always guided back to it. I'll give you the Chocobo's though.

Incidentally, don't think I've got some huge downer on FFVII - it is a great game and more than worthy on inclusion on any "Best ever..." list, I just don't see anything in it that is "groundbreaking".

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Shit, totally forgot the Elite franchise.

Easily top 5

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think GoldenEye would have to be my number one game but people are going to vote for games they used to spend hours playing.
I spent much of my childhood playing Amstrad games like Arkanoid, Gauntlet 2, Ghostbusters and Barbarian...all addictive classics.
I think at least one of the early Sonic games should be in there, I still play them now on my PSP Megadrive collection.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Medal of Honour: European Assault
Alien vs. Predator Gold for the PC
The Getaway
Goldeneye

End of.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
My top 10 - not in any order...

Half life (not Half life 2) - Best and most atmospheric FPS ever(PC)
Star Wars Galaxies - Still playing it after 4 years(PC)
Civilization 3 - greatest strategy game of all time(PC)
Tomb Raider(PS)
Tiger Woods 2005(PS2)
Gauntlet(Arcade)
SWOS 96-97 - Peter Smith was one of the best players!(CBM Amiga)
GOAL!(CBM Amiga)
Microprose Soccer(C64)
Silicon Dreams(Graphic text adventure on the 8-bit Atari)

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Any more rumours on Elite 4? It appears to have died down at the moment.

Oh GREAT, you've just consigned me to a day of anxiously trawling the 'net for the smallest morsel of information on what will have to be THE most anticipated game of all time ever ever ever.

And there's meant to be a new Sim City on the way.

Might as well give up looking for a job

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I think I'd throw Speedball 2 in there somewhere.

I would not include Shadow of the Beast 2 though, christ that game was frustratingly hard!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Anyone remember "IT came from the desert"?

Very much like the film THEM! where you had to investigate cow mutilations only to find the little town was infested with giant ants!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here