Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best "team" in league one

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Seen a lot of talk about how we have the best "team" in the league but not necessarily the best inviduals. Hearing this from bitter Charlton and Posh fans is especially hysterical.

Let's look at the team:

Ankergren - One of top 3 goalies in L1

Painter - Best LB in L1
Calderon - Best RB in L1
El-Abd - One of top 4 CB's in league
Greer - Best CB in L1?

Bennet - Best RW in L1
Lua Lua - Best LW in L1
Kishishev - One of top 5 CM's in league
Dicker - One of top 5 CM's in league

Barnes- ok I'll concede here, but still a great player
Murray - top 7 in all round striking ability

and I haven't even included Sparrow and Elphick in this list.

Overall, if you were to calculate our individual player by player rankings I would say we have the best average in League 1.

In conclusion.

Best Team
Best individuals

Simple

Seen a lot of talk about how we have the best "team" in the league but not necessarily the best inviduals. Hearing this from bitter Charlton and Posh fans is especially hysterical.

Let's look at the team:

Painter - Best LB in L1
Calderon - Best RB in L1
Greer - Best CB in L1?

Bennet - Best RW in L1
Lua Lua - Best LW in L1

Overall, if you were to calculate our individual player by player rankings I would say we have the best average in League 1.

In conclusion.

Best Team
Best individuals

Simple

Nonsense. We are undoubtedly the best team, but to suggest that the likes of Kishishev and Dicker are amongst the 5 best centre midfielders in this division is farcical. I also think that Ankergren and El-Abd have to keep up current form for the rest of the season before they can genuinely be considered as amongst the better players in the division.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Good analysis and, for what it's worth, I agree. But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it was interesting to note that listening to the Peterborough podcast their guys rated their individuals higher than ours. I'm sure SCC, Udders and Weds fans feel the same. I guess the player-voted Team of the Season is about the fairest way to assess.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley

Let's look at the team:

Painter - Best LB in L1[/B]
Calderon - Best RB in L1
Greer - Best CB in L1?

Bennet - Best RW in L1
Lua Lua - Best LW in L1
Dicker - One of top 10 CM's in league

Murray - top 5 in all round striking ability

Elphick - best back up CB in the league
Sparrow - Class

Best Team
Best individuals

Simple

That's what i reckon :thumbsup:!!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Kish i'm not so sure about but Dicker SURELY has to be in with a shout? He's one of the most intellegent and strongest (physically) in the league. His eye for a pass is simply breathtaking, his decision making on when to pass or not is amazing as well. When knocked off his feet, he's still not knocked off the ball and is strong enough to shield the ball with his body and keep it. I think Dicker is one of the most underrated players in the league and on our team.

Also its nice to have a player who makes fantastic passes so often that the mistakes sometimes are more memerable because they're a rarity.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Nonsense. We are undoubtedly the best team, but to suggest that the likes of Kishishev and Dicker are amongst the 5 best centre midfielders in this division is farcical. I also think that Ankergren and El-Abd have to keep up current form for the rest of the season before they can genuinely be considered as amongst the better players in the division.

Before the start of the season I would have agreed but, out of interest, which five midfielders would you play ahead of Dicker? I can't think of anyone I would play ahead of him, he is vital to the way we play.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

hardly farcical to suggest an international who's played over 80 games for his international team is not one of the best players in the 3rd tier of English football. Dicker has also improved beyond belief, need to extend his contract NOW!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its difficult to state that this individual player and that individual player is categorically the BEST in the division, because we only see our own players week in, week out. They are clearly amongst the best though, and our Lord Gustavo of Poyet has managed to forge them into the most effective team in the division.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
"Team of the Season"?

Calderon, Greer, Painter and Bennett are likely to be our only contenders by the season's end because of their consistency. Maybe LuaLua if we manage to keep him for the whole season. (IMO)

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Nonsense. We are undoubtedly the best team, but to suggest that the likes of Kishishev and Dicker are amongst the 5 best centre midfielders in this division is farcical.

What!!! admittedly kisch has seen better days pace wise but as for Dicker, he is an immense player, what games have you been watching, he is class, period. Top 5? Top 1!!

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow

Let's look at the team:

Painter - Best LB in L1
Calderon - Best RB in L1
Greer - Best CB in L1?

Bennet - Best RW in L1
Lua Lua - Best LW in L1

In conclusion.

Best Team
Best individuals

Simple

What about Liam Bridcut. The guy is a class act. Dont forget him :thumbsup:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Impossible to tell unless you somehow managed to watch every team every week.

We have a lot of good players, but who is to say that there are players playing equally well in a mid-table team but just not supported by a decent team?

Of our starting team, I would pick Calderon as the best right back I have seen in the division and Elliott Bennett as a very good midfielder. Possibly Marcos Painter would be in the League One team as well.

Other than that I wouldn't be confident saying our players individually were any better in the same position elsewhere.

You have to remember we have only seen probably half of the teams in this division so far.

"Team of the Season"?

Calderon, Greer, Painter and Bennett are likely to be our only contenders by the season's end because of their consistency. Maybe LuaLua if we manage to keep him for the whole season. (IMO)

This. I'm sorry, but I think far too many of you are jumping on a bandwagon. I agree that Dicker and Kish have been excellent this season, but that's 14 games, not enough time to prove definitely that they are amongst the best in the division. Dicker was in the team that for much of last season struggled against relegation, and he wasn't exactly a stand-out player at that point.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gary Dicker = League One Zinedine Zidane. :thumbsup:

Seriously, Gus said something at the pre-season Fans' Forum that he appreciates that he won't have the best players in the division, but it's more likely we can attain the role of best team in the division.

Something like when Sussex first won the County Championship in 2003, I'd say.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
OK, so we've still got 9 teams to play (including SCC, Colchester and Hudds) but if there's a better midfielder than Bennet anywhere in the league I'd be very surprised. The guy is just fantastic. Building play, creating chances, supporting attacks and defending. The only thing he needs to improve is goalscoring, but we're doing OK there at the moment.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
OK, so we've still got 9 teams to play (including SCC, Colchester and Hudds) but if there's a better midfielder than Bennet anywhere in the league I'd be very surprised. The guy is just fantastic. Building play, creating chances, supporting attacks and defending. The only thing he needs to improve is goalscoring, but we're doing OK there at the moment.

Possibly only Adam Lallana, but he's always injured, and not as consistant as Bennett.

BTW Lallana is supposedly worth 3M and is being tapped up by Brum for a jan move.

I would take no less than 2M for Bennett

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Possibly only Adam Lallana, but he's always injured, and not as consistant as Bennett.
Pilikington at Huddersfield is a very good player, but there aren't many of his and Bennett's class.

I haven't seen many midfielders at this level EVER who have the vision and range of passing that Gary Dicker has.

It's the lower leagues and players like Dicker, Bennett, Painter, Calderon, Greer etc etc aren't 'big names' so other fans wouldn't neccesarily know a lot about them, but they are brillinat players. We're not just top because Gus has some kind of magic fairy dust he sprinkles on them.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

name FIVE better central midfielders in league 1 than Gary Dicker then?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Without going down the player for player (and of course I agree that we have the best players in every position) the best "team" is the one thats top.

And thats us at the moment. Lets hope it is come May!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here