CB: Darren Purse (Sheffield Wednesday)
CB: Peter Clarke (Huddersfield)
RM: Elliott Bennett
CM: David Prutton (Swindon)
CM: Kemi Izzet (Colchester)
LM: Adam Llanna (Southampton)
FW: Ricky Lambert (Southampton)
FW: Craig Mackail-Smith (Peterborough)

This would be who I would consider the best 11 in league 1.

Ankergren and Brezovan are amongst the best 5 keepers
Calderon, Painter are the best fullbacks
Greer is one of the best 5 possibly 3
Benno and Lualua are both irreplacable as wingers
Dicker and Sparrow are both top 10 possibly 5
Murray and Barnes are both superb and in the top 10

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Perkino, I thought about including Darren Purse aswell, considering his Premier League experience and his many years in the Championship. Ultimately, I decided against him because of his age and because I think that Greer is better than he is with the ball at his feet and atleast as good as he is in the air. I mainly replied to flag up David Prutton though. He has been sent off twice this season already, and I think it's safe to say that the majority of people would consider Jonathon Douglas a better player than Prutton is. I also disagree about Kemal Izzet at Colchester, but I can understand how you justified included him.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
GK: Joe Lewis (Peterborough)

RB: Inigo Calderon (Brighton)
CB: Darren Purse (Sheff Wed)
LB: Marcos Painter (Brighton)

CM: Therry Racon (Charlton)
CM: Joey Gydjonsson (Huddersfield)

LW: George Boyd (Peterborough)
RW: Anthony Pilkington (Huddersfield)
CAM: Adam Lallana (Southampton)

CF: Craig Mackail-Smith (Peterborough)

Wanted Elliot Bennett & Ricky Lambert in there too. Im sure there are plenty of other good defenders out there that im not aware of but apart from poss Jon Harley @ Notts County I cant think of a better LB than Painter?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I'm no expert, but I think that these 11 are the best players in the league, and I've tried to be as honest as possible.

RB: Inigo Calderon
LB: Marcos Painter
CB: Gordon Greer
RM: Jon-Paul McGovern (Swindon)
CM: Matthew Sparrow
CM: Tommy Miller (Sheffield Wednesday)
LM: Anthony Pilkington (Huddersfield)
FW: Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield)

I left out LuaLua because he is on loan to us, but he is the best left winger in the league. I included McGovern instead of Bennett only because he had the highest assists rate last season and continues to be their most creative player. The only thing that holds him back is his lack of goalscoring, he only scored 1 last season and his goal on saturday was probably one of very few he'll score this season. I think you can argue the toss between Bennett and McGovern though, both are very good players and both are more than capable of playing higher, and both have played lower aswell. Up front, there is alot of talent in this division, and if Murray was more selfish, I would have him as the best striker in the league, no question. We know he's a good finisher, that goal against Crewe on his debut was just spectacular. But I think he's lost a little bit of his goalscorers knack, I'd love to see him score 20 goals this season, or however many is required to beat Charlie Austin! I left that man out of the team because I only rate him as one of the best poachers in the league, I don't think his overall game is all that, certainly he's not as good as Simon Cox in that respect. Including Rhodes might be seen as a bit of a safe selection, everyone rates him, but I genuinely think he's a fantastic player and Mackail-Smith picks himself!

Flabbergasted you havent included Boyd! By far the best palyer in the division.... this saturday's red card not included. Ask the posh fans

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
My opinion is that over the course of the season, Matt Sparrow may well end up being our key player.

I think he is a diamond of a footballer, but I think he has been unfortunate with injuries/suspensions/other players in form. I think he will eventually get a run in the side and it will be impossible then for Gus to drop him.

From the little I have seen of Sparrow, I think he is a cut above any midfielder in League One. Pure class.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
RB: Inigo Calderon
LB: Marcos Painter
CB: Darren Purse (Sheffield Wednesday)
RM: Elliott Bennett
CM: David Prutton (Swindon)
CM: Kemi Izzet (Colchester)
LM: Adam Llanna (Southampton)
FW: Ricky Lambert (Southampton)

This would be who I would consider the best 11 in league 1.

Ankergren and Brezovan are amongst the best 5 keepers
Calderon, Painter are the best fullbacks
Greer is one of the best 5 possibly 3
Benno and Lualua are both irreplacable as wingers
Dicker and Sparrow are both top 10 possibly 5
Murray and Barnes are both superb and in the top 10
:lolol: Have you thouhgt of doing stand-up?

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
Seriously, you'd be hard pushed to find any Wednesday fans that rate Darren Purse. His defensive work's ok most of the time but his distribution is shite. Tommy Miller's a good shout for Centre Midfield (although someone should tell Alan Irvine who insists on playing him on the flank). Giles Coke's got more to come and when he's fit Jermaine Johnson will give any left back outside the Premiership a run for hios money - literally.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
GK: Casper Ankergren (Brighton)
RB: Inigo Calderon (Brighton)
LB: Marcos Painter (Brighton)
CB: Gordon Greer (Brighton)
CB: Adam El-Abd (Brighton)
RM: Elliott Bennett (Brighton)
CM: Radostin Kishishev (Brighton)
CM: George Boyd (Peterborough)
LM: Kazenga Lua Lua (Brighton)
FW: Charlie Austin (Swindon)

Quite simply we have the best defence and last months league 1 player of the month in goal already.

On current form/experience there are only 3 players that could get in our team and even Mr Austin would have to fight with Glenn Murray.

I uhmed and ahhed about Tommy Miller (Sheff Wed) or Kish, but international experience and defencive ability just won out

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gary Jones at Rochdale is actually the best midfielder in league one, if you choose to believe the various newspaper ratings.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Back in November this is what we were saying, I think now we can add a few more Brighton players to the list

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Actually I supect some of those early guesses might not be far off the team of the season when it's announced.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Joe Lewis has been shit recently, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is possible the saints best talent and is being tracked by prem clubs, as is superb Dale Jennings at Tranmere.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
From reading other threads about how honest we would be about where we felt we would finish in league; I think the answer is that we may not have the best players in the Division however collectively the Albion certainly have the best team.

All credit to Gus and the coaching staff for moulding the players together into a competitive unit and introducing a style of play that works in the Division.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There are plenty of other teams in this division as good as Brighton aren't there, well isn't that what the MK Dons manager said?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There are plenty of other teams in this division as good as Brighton aren't there, well isn't that what the MK Dons manager said?

Oh there must be, just look at the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here