Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best "team" in league one

name FIVE better central midfielders in league 1 than Gary Dicker then?

As I've said above, on current form I probably couldn't, but he's got to keep it up to be considered in that class. So far all he's got on his CV is a season winning promotion from League 2 (with Stockport) and two seasons of at best mediocrity (at Stockport and here) in League 1. If he was the white Zinedine Zidane I suspect he may have stood out more in those rather average teams!

Anyway, I've come up with a few based on the fact that they have played a number of games in a higher division.

Gudjonsson (Huddersfield)
Izzet (Colchester)
Grant McCann (Peterborough)
Sparrow (Brighton)
Schneiderlin (Southampton)
Chaplow (Southampton)
Semedo (Charlton)

If Dicker carries on playing well all season, then I'll happily laud him as one of the best midfielders in the league. Until that point, however, he remains unproven.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Nonsense. We are undoubtedly the best team, but to suggest that the likes of Kishishev and Dicker are amongst the 5 best centre midfielders in this division is farcical. I also think that Ankergren and El-Abd have to keep up current form for the rest of the season before they can genuinely be considered as amongst the better players in the division.

Absolutely, Kish and Dicker are easily the best two midfield players in this division...

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
As I've said above, on current form I probably couldn't, but he's got to keep it up to be considered in that class. So far all he's got on his CV is a season winning promotion from League 2 (with Stockport) and two seasons of at best mediocrity (at Stockport and here) in League 1. If he was the white Zinedine Zidane I suspect he may have stood out more in those rather average teams!

Anyway, I've come up with a few based on the fact that they have played a number of games in a higher division.

Izzet (Colchester)
Sparrow (Brighton)
Chaplow (Southampton)
Semedo (Charlton)

If Dicker carries on playing well all season, then I'll happily laud him as one of the best midfielders in the league. Until that point, however, he remains unproven.

I'm a big Sparrow fan but, based on what I have seen this season (all home games and most away), he is not as good as Gary Dicker. Granted they have different attributes but I think I would rather have Dicker in my team.

Just because a player has played in a higher division that doesn't neccessarally make him a better player, although it could be an indicator. Anyway, didn't Dicker play in the Championship when he was with Birmingham?

EDIT: That's not including the others in that list that I have seen this season, none of who came close to Dicker (McCann and Semedo).

Last edited:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

Izzet (Colchester)
Sparrow (Brighton)
Chaplow (Southampton)
Semedo (Charlton)

so he's not as good as those named players because he hasn't played in a higher division? So using your logic, Gary Hart is better player than Gary Dicker right now because he's played in the championship? Not having a pop at you by the way Harty!

As for naming Grant McCann... that's a wind up right? Dicker completely outplayed him at the weekend.

Just because a player has played in a higher division that doesn't neccessarally make him a better player, although it could be an indicator. Anyway, didn't Dicker play in the Championship when he was with Birmingham?

I agree that it doesn't. I was using it as an extremely rough-and-ready indicator; it's especially flawed if the player in question started out at a Championship club and has since regressed to League One! My point was more that in order for a player to be considered one of the best in the league they have to prove it over a length of time. Dicker has not yet done this.

We are also (as others have said) incredibly biased when it comes to our own players. How many opposition fans do we reckon have gone away purring about Dicker? Nowhere near as many as have about Bennett or LuaLua, that's for sure.

For all I know, there could be a player at Colchester of Huddersfield who is playing out of his skin and ripping other teams to shreds, or even at one of the teams we've already played who had an off day against us; however we're unlikely to be aware of him until he's done it for at least 12 months, possibly longer. The same applies to our players; until they've performed exceedingly well for a prolonged period of time, they're likely to remain unproven in the eyes of the average League 1 fan.

Dicker didn't make it as far as the first team at Birmingham (according to his wiki page), but did play for the reserves.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I agree that it doesn't. I was using it as an extremely rough-and-ready indicator; it's especially flawed if the player in question started out at a Championship club and has since regressed to League One! My point was more that in order for a player to be considered one of the best in the league they have to prove it over a length of time. Dicker has not yet done this.

We are also (as others have said) incredibly biased when it comes to our own players. How many opposition fans do we reckon have gone away purring about Dicker? Nowhere near as many as have about Bennett or LuaLua, that's for sure.

For all I know, there could be a player at Colchester of Huddersfield who is playing out of his skin and ripping other teams to shreds, or even at one of the teams we've already played who had an off day against us; however we're unlikely to be aware of him until he's done it for at least 12 months, possibly longer. The same applies to our players; until they've performed exceedingly well for a prolonged period of time, they're likely to remain unproven in the eyes of the average League 1 fan.

Dicker didn't make it as far as the first team at Birmingham (according to his wiki page), but did play for the reserves.

the same flawed logic that's dogged the national team for years. picking players on reputation rather than form... served us so well at this year's world cup didn't it.

if Gary Dicker is ripping up league 1 at the moment then he IS the best midfielder in league 1 - at that moment in time, which is what we're discussing here. I'm not saying he is, by the way, i haven't seen enough matches this season. But i haven't seen a convincing arguement to suggest otherwise.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008

I completely agree that they have to perform over a period of time, but in my humble opinion Dicker has done so for long enough period to be considered one of the better midfielders in League One.

I had a similar argument with a mate the other week about Gareth Bale. He insisted that Bale was world class but my argument was (and some may disagree with me) that to be considered truly world class Bale has to perform like he did against Inter for a prolonged period of time, against the top sides.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Gary Dicker is a different class. He was instumental in keeping up in the league 2 seasons ago whilst on loan from Stockport in what was a shocking side. Without a shadow of a doubt this boy could make the step up to the championship. He's certainly not the only one either.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I'm a big Sparrow fan but, based on what I have seen this season (all home games and most away), he is not as good as Gary Dicker. Granted they have different attributes but I think I would rather have Dicker in my team.

EDIT: That's not including the others in that list that I have seen this season, none of who came close to Dicker (McCann and Semedo).

In fairness to Sparrow, he is one of the players from that list who's career stats alone are enough to prove he's a slightly better player than Dicker:

He's won promotion from this division twice and played 3 (at least i think) seasons in the Championship. Unfortunately that is of a much higher calibre than Gary Dicker.

It should also be noted Sparrow has been playing with a torn groin since Plymouth away.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm no expert, but I think that these 11 are the best players in the league, and I've tried to be as honest as possible.

GK: Joe Lewis (Peterborough)
RB: Inigo Calderon
LB: Marcos Painter
CB: Gordon Greer
CB: Peter Clarke (Huddersfield)
RM: Jon-Paul McGovern (Swindon)
CM: Matthew Sparrow
CM: Tommy Miller (Sheffield Wednesday)
LM: Anthony Pilkington (Huddersfield)
FW: Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield)
FW: Craig Mackail-Smith (Peterborough)

I left out LuaLua because he is on loan to us, but he is the best left winger in the league. I included McGovern instead of Bennett only because he had the highest assists rate last season and continues to be their most creative player. The only thing that holds him back is his lack of goalscoring, he only scored 1 last season and his goal on saturday was probably one of very few he'll score this season. I think you can argue the toss between Bennett and McGovern though, both are very good players and both are more than capable of playing higher, and both have played lower aswell. Up front, there is alot of talent in this division, and if Murray was more selfish, I would have him as the best striker in the league, no question. We know he's a good finisher, that goal against Crewe on his debut was just spectacular. But I think he's lost a little bit of his goalscorers knack, I'd love to see him score 20 goals this season, or however many is required to beat Charlie Austin! I left that man out of the team because I only rate him as one of the best poachers in the league, I don't think his overall game is all that, certainly he's not as good as Simon Cox in that respect. Including Rhodes might be seen as a bit of a safe selection, everyone rates him, but I genuinely think he's a fantastic player and Mackail-Smith picks himself!

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
In fairness to Sparrow, he is one of the players from that list who's career stats alone are enough to prove he's a slightly better player than Dicker:

He's won promotion from this division twice and played 3 (at least i think) seasons in the Championship. Unfortunately that is of a much higher calibre than Gary Dicker.

It should also be noted Sparrow has been playing with a torn groin since Plymouth away.

I take your point, but I don't think that Sparrow should be classed as the better player simply because he has played in a higher division. Granted he has performed in a better league, but I would argue that, given the chance, Dicker could do the same.

I don't want to turn this into a Dicker vs Sparrow debate (which I fear I may have), but in my opinion, from the games I have seen, Dicker has been our stand-out central midfield player this year. Stats and pedigree aren't everything. However there is no doubt that Sparrow is a vital part of our team.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
I'm no expert, but I think that these 11 are the best players in the league, and I've tried to be as honest as possible.

GK: Joe Lewis (Peterborough)
RB: Inigo Calderon
LB: Marcos Painter
CB: Gordon Greer
CB: Peter Clarke (Huddersfield)
RM: Jon-Paul McGovern (Swindon)
CM: Matthew Sparrow
CM: Tommy Miller (Sheffield Wednesday)
LM: Anthony Pilkington (Huddersfield)
FW: Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield)
FW: Craig Mackail-Smith (Peterborough)

I left out LuaLua because he is on loan to us, but he is the best left winger in the league. I included McGovern instead of Bennett only because he had the highest assists rate last season and continues to be their most creative player. The only thing that holds him back is his lack of goalscoring, he only scored 1 last season and his goal on saturday was probably one of very few he'll score this season. I think you can argue the toss between Bennett and McGovern though, both are very good players and both are more than capable of playing higher, and both have played lower aswell. Up front, there is alot of talent in this division, and if Murray was more selfish, I would have him as the best striker in the league, no question. We know he's a good finisher, that goal against Crewe on his debut was just spectacular. But I think he's lost a little bit of his goalscorers knack, I'd love to see him score 20 goals this season, or however many is required to beat Charlie Austin! I left that man out of the team because I only rate him as one of the best poachers in the league, I don't think his overall game is all that, certainly he's not as good as Simon Cox in that respect. Including Rhodes might be seen as a bit of a safe selection, everyone rates him, but I genuinely think he's a fantastic player and Mackail-Smith picks himself!

There is no way I would put McGovern in a League One team. Bennett is a far better player in my opinion and if we're not counting LuaLua, Lallana would be on the left (although this is mainly because I haven't seen much of Pilkington). I would also have Kelvin Davis in goal but other than that it's not a bad team.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There is no way I would put McGovern in a League One team. Bennett is a far better player in my opinion and if we're not counting LuaLua, Lallana would be on the left (although this is mainly because I haven't seen much of Pilkington). I would also have Kelvin Davis in goal but other than that it's not a bad team.

As I said, I think that one is up for debate. I've seen alot of McGovern though, and that is why I put him in the team. Obviously, I've seen more of Bennett and would be more than happy putting him into this team.

I'll be honest, I forgot about Southampton. :facepalm:
I'd like to amend my team to replace Miller with Lallana and Rhodes with Lambert! And then I'm happy.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I take your point, but I don't think that Sparrow should be classed as the better player simply because he has played in a higher division. Granted he has performed in a better league, but I would argue that, given the chance, Dicker could do the same.

I don't want to turn this into a Dicker vs Sparrow debate (which I fear I may have), but in my opinion, from the games I have seen, Dicker has been our stand-out central midfield player this year. Stats and pedigree aren't everything. However there is no doubt that Sparrow is a vital part of our team.
Also of course worth mentioning Dicker only turned 24 in the summer. Sparrow is 29. I'll stick my neck out and predict that Dicker will have exceeded Sparrow's 2 seasons in the Championship by the age of 29.

Both great players though, and easily top end L1 midfielders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here