Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Sports Commentator Ever

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cliff Morgan. Goosebumps :bowdown:.

Only saw one sending off offences in that clip. That was calm for the 70s. Rugby was savage back then.

If you want to see some thuggery that would make PPF wince, Llanelli v All Blacks 1972.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
All Blacks trying to take heads off! And the clip didn’t even include old school rucks and scrums.
They were the Leeds of rugby back then. Only 10 x worse. Billy Bremner would have been a pansy.

Nowadays, New Zealand are the shiny example of sportsmanship.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Sad news about Clive Everton. It made me laugh when he said Alex Higgins was the best player he had ever seen when completely drunk.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They were the Leeds of rugby back then. Only 10 x worse. Billy Bremner would have been a pansy.

Nowadays, New Zealand are the shiny example of sportsmanship.

Funny you should mention PPF. We always laughed that a ‘brave’ football thug would melt if they contemplated taking a swing at the likes of Buck Shelford or Graham Price, for example.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
for me
Cricket - Richie Benaud (TV) - John Arlott (radio)
Rugby - Bill McLaren - although I loved the Eddie Butler/Brian Moore combination
Football - Peter Jones
Athletics _ really like Michael Johnson as a pundit
Golf - has to be Alan Partridge

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Alan Green.

The only commentator who would draw me into a game I didn't care about.

He may be a prick in real life, but on the radio, he was liquid football.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Alan Green.

The only commentator who would draw me into a game I didn't care about.

He may be a prick in real life, but on the radio, he was liquid football.

The last commentator who called out stuff such as Pulis thuggery or Fergie’s bullying of everyone. Their little cabal including Allardyce didn’t like his honesty.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The last commentator who called out stuff such as Pulis thuggery or Fergie’s bullying of everyone. Their little cabal including Allardyce didn’t like his honesty.
And not afraid to call out a game as boring, in contrast to the fake jeopardy cooked up by the schoolboy hypesters trying to sell their brilliant coverage of the most exciting spectacle on the planet (f*** off).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And not afraid to call out a game as boring, in contrast to the fake jeopardy cooked up by the schoolboy hypesters trying to sell their brilliant coverage of the most exciting spectacle on the planet (f*** off).

I remember something like a Monday night PL game Bolton or Stoke at home. Allan Green said this is awful fare. Went down like a lead balloon with a thuggish English manager who decided to hate Green forever.

Matterface or Darren Fletcher would’ve bullsh1ted us to keep their $$$$ jobs.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’m not a fan of F1 these days, I used to enjoy watching Prost, Mansell and Senna, that era, but I think Murray Walker had the perfect voice for the sport, fast and high octane like the cars.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I’m not a fan of F1 these days, I used to enjoy watching Prost, Mansell and Senna, that era, but I think Murray Walker had the perfect voice for the sport, fast and high octane like the cars.
While the whole "lets see who can build the fastest car and then drive around in circles"-thing will never really appeal to me, I have to say that Walker really pulled me in when I watched a couple of historical competitions not long ago. Could see why he is considered a legend.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Murray Walker’s life was absolutely fascinating.

His world wide fame comes from F1 commentary. But he didn’t become the BBC F1 full time commentator until he was 55 in ‘78. He’d done a few F1 commentaries before this but it’s extraordinary that arguably his greatest work started at an age your average banker looks to retire (having achieved less than 0.1% of what Murray did in his life).

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
My favourite commentator was David Vine. Yes, he was better known as a sports anchor for snooker and ski sunday etc but he used to commentate on the weightlifting at the olympics .He really painted a scene of glory and tragedy as the weightlifters entered the stage, his words turned them into matadors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here