Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Sports Commentator Ever

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Football......................................TV...Barry Davies...........Radio....Peter Jones
Cricket.......................................TV...Richie Benaud.........Radio....John Arlott
Rugby Union................................TV...Bill McLaren............Radio....Ian Robertson
Rugby League..............................TV...Ray French.............
Athletics.....................................TV...David Coleman........Radio.....Max Robertson
Boxing........................................TV...Harry Carpenter......Radio.....Eamonn Andrews
Horse Racing................................TV..Peter O'Sullevan......Radio.....Peter Bromley
Golf............................................TV..Peter Alliss.............Radio.....Bob Bubka
Skiing..........................................TV..David Vine
Skating/Ice Hockey/Swimming..........TV..Alan Weekes
Darts...........................................TV..Sid Waddell
Tennis..........................................TV..Dan Maskell..........Radio.....Max Robertson

Best Overall...Peter O'Sullevan.
Blimey, I think I agree with every one of those! (Especially Barry Davies who I always preferred to John 'ha ha' Motson).

EDIT: Just realised I've replied to a post over ELEVEN years old! Fell for a Crodo bounce.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Peter Jones was brilliant.

Don’t get the Davies plaudits, always preferred Moore over him and Motty, in fact Martin Tyler as well.

However, favourite all time commentator in any sport…..

Peter Alliss…….. just superb.

(Got to meet him at the seniors open, he was a lovely chap, took time out to chat with my son and his friend).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Don’t get the Davies plaudits, always preferred Moore over him and Motty, in fact Martin Tyler as well.

(Got to meet him at the seniors open, he was a lovely chap, took time out to chat with my son and his friend).

Peter Alliss was amazing. Knew the sport inside out, he let the pictures do the talking, an obvious affection for many players such as Seve, interspersed with wonderful chat. I remember the forever spiteful Daily Mail bitching about his alleged mistakes when he was still brilliant at his job …. wnkrs.

Yes. Peter Jones, Gerald Sinstadt, Alan Weekes, John Arlott, Richie Benaud. Imho all gods …. they made iconic moments magical and never about them or preplanned. I really liked David Vine too …. skiing!

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

To your Peter Jones I raise

Bryon Butler & Peter Jones, the sculptors of many a late school night under the covers listening to European matches.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wrote a piece a long time ago about an Albion match at Fulham

I'm not really bothered with TV commentators, I just get engrossed in the match. I couldn't really say who is good and who is not. But radio is different. You know who is good because they become central to your experience.

Bryon Butler and Peter Jones. No-one can match.

Triton

Jul 8, 2023
Peter Allis for sure.
Eddie Waring Rugby League
Cricket, Brian Johnston, Henry Blofeld, John Arlott. David Bumble Lloyd.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
He is more of a summariser than a commentator on TMS but I love vic marks. He is fantastic. He is regularly on the Somerset county live feed and he is great.

Peter Allis was my fav growing up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here