Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best player in your school football team

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
One of my best mates had a choice of signing a 3 year deal with Brighton (same team as Jake Robinson) or a 6 week trial with Palarse.

As Brighton were about to go out of business and at the bottom of Div 3 and Palarse were in the Prem he obviously made the sensible decision.

He broke his collar bone 3 days before signing a 3 year deal at Palarse playing in a cup final for his youth team and they said thanks but no thanks.

He was well gutted as you could imagine, and then found booze fags and girls and im ashamed to say that hes still LOADS better than all of my mates!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Da Man Clay said:
Serves him right for choosing Palace!

It was a sensible decision though!

Brighton were about to go out of business and were offering him about £500 a month, and Palace were in the Prem and were offering him about £1000 a month.

It doesnt take a Einstien to work that one out!

But looking back, most of the coaches did rate him about Robinson, and now which one of them is playing week-in-week-out for a proffesional club?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
ali jenkins said:
It was a sensible decision though!

Brighton were about to go out of business and were offering him about £500 a month, and Palace were in the Prem and were offering him about £1000 a month.

It doesnt take a Einstien to work that one out!

But looking back, most of the coaches did rate him about Robinson, and now which one of them is playing week-in-week-out for a proffesional club?

A 6 week trial is very different to a 3 year deal though. I would probably have gone with the 3 year deal just for the stability.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
MYOB said:
Off collecting souls from a white horse called Binky, I would imagine ???

Pratchett fan alert!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lee Bryant who is a first year scholar with us played at centre back for my year in school and was absolute quality when he played. Looks to be doing well with the youth team at the moment so hopefully he may earn a pro contract in a years time.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Da Man Clay said:
A 6 week trial is very different to a 3 year deal though. I would probably have gone with the 3 year deal just for the stability.

There was nothing stable about Brightons future at that time.

And he was being offered DOUBLE money.

£1000 a month whilst still at school just for playing football!

Its an easy decision!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
ali jenkins said:
There was nothing stable about Brightons future at that time.

And he was being offered DOUBLE money.

£1000 a month whilst still at school just for playing football!

Its an easy decision!

Yeah fair point I suppose, but it was still only for 6 weeks. I suppose supporting Brighton would have clouded my judgement back then though.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Da Man Clay said:
Yeah fair point I suppose, but it was still only for 6 weeks. I suppose supporting Brighton would have clouded my judgement back then though.

The contract was on offer after 6 weeks, and he was going to be offered it but he wanted to play in this cup final for his youth team (It was their manager that got him the trial at brighton and then palace) and hey said they wont sign him untill after the game. then he broke his collarbone in the match and thats that!

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
In my day for the mighty Lancing Rangers I played regularly against Mark Gumpright who played up until about the age of 16 for the Albion. He was massive at schoolboy level but by the time he got to 16 others had caught up with him so he was less effective.

Also played regularly against Kim Grant (Charlton) who was one of the quickest players I have ever played against. He wasn't the most skillful but obviously went on and did OK-ish with Charlton.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
used to play against jake robinson for saltdean tigers. actually dont remember him being that amazing really.

there was a midfielder for denton who used to destroy us, name was theo something

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
used to play with joe gatting at under 10s - used to get all the goals but it was mccarthy who laid them all on for him!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The best player in our school team, was the last time I saw him a graphic designer with a rather nasty jazz talc habit. However one of the other kids that was in the team is now the manager at a Premiership club.

Last edited:

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Our very own Sam Gargan and Sonny Cobbs, a palarse youth Jerahl Hughes and a wycombe youth player Sam Tucknott

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here