Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best player in your school football team

D

Deleted member 2719

I suppose Colin Gibson of Villa and Man u Was the best at our school and on the athletic side it was Mark Rowland the 3000 Steeplechaser Bronze medalist at the 1988 seoul olympics.

Then there was Gullsworth who won the Premiership squash league, although a drugs test is still pending!

;) :lolol:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I went to school with Ossie Ardilles and Michael Caine. Yes, in the early 80s they battled nationalistically in the yard, stealing each other's homework diaries and colouring them St Georgy with rulers and crayons or like sideways seagull stripes with an eyeball at their centre. At hometime the bell would of course ring and each of their gang of buddies, The Caineine Walkers and The Ardilles Tiddlers, would huddle on the sloping field in front of the music hall, trying to outmuscle and emotionally mutate their opposition attached. I would stay hidden in class, mostly science with Mr Foster, watching this war commence. Mr Foster stroked my back to reassure me. I was too afraid to turn round and find him either too dressed or too naked to offer me solace and approval in these terrifying times. Once, i even fainted. But no one outside ended with cuts or scabs from their enemy. And when something in the news said them lot had stopped their invasion of a sheep-infested blob of frozen land somewhere, Ardilles pulled out, shook hands with Caine and said they should play for the same team. Or escape this nazistic camp of shallow gassy death. They played the krauts. Got Sly in goal. I played in midfield, wary of Foster's sudden interest in making sure the football boys got very clean at a games end, and got the chance to share some time with these two greats. Admittedly, Caine was f***ing shit at football and about 54. Ardilles was brilliant, though, and the best player at our school that i saw.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
lee cansfield who played a couple of games for argyle was a couple of years above me was good but the best was a lad called damien smith who was a cracking right back was playing for argyle reserves at 15 but did his leg in at the wrong time and never recovered from it

Steve Ford (now running an award winning BHA Football in the Community scheme) was a couple of years above us. He captained England Schoolboys at St james' park (v Holland I think)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Played alongside Ricky Newman for Horsham reps a few times.He played for Cranleigh at the time in the Horsham mini minor league.Went on to play for Palarse though.He was a very good player at the time.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Dean Cox probably wasn't the best player at school, but he's the only one who's made it

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
Tricky Dicky said:
We had a boy at Shoreham College called Michael Foreman who was the best in our year. He didn't go on to play foote any more but his dad Dennis had played for the Albion and cricket for Sussex

I played in the same Brighton Under 11s team as him.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
I played against Joe Gatting for my school team.

Erm.. otherwise all I can think of at my school are a few lads who got trials at some London clubs.

Oh, and Russell Martin (now Wycombe regular) was at Varndean College while I was there.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Kinky Gerbils said:
We had a Kid called Karl Whinder in our School.

He went to play for some really odd u21 team in Africa and had a few trails for Premiership clubs.
Now plays for Keymer and Hassocks!
I Heard about this rember reading it in the argus about 5 years back! rember reading somthing about him being compard to jan molby :ohmy:

The most illustrious individual to share a football pitch with me was a referee - Mervyn Griffiths, who was a teacher at the primary school down the road from where I lived.

"Mr" Griffiths, as we knew him, was personally responsible for Hungary failing to win the 1954 World Cup, where he was linesman at the final. He flagged Puskas off-side, resulting in what would have been a late equaliser being disallowed.

He ended up refereeing primary school games in Newport. And that's how he and I came to be running around on the same pitch.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Spunk Bubble said:
Did they go on to achieve anything in the beautiful game ?

I wento to school with Terry Streeter (1 game for albion in the gillingham days) and Michael Standing. Hanglrton Junior was such a hotbed of talent!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Pete Allen.

Played for England schoolboys,but his career then hit the skids and he ended as a LEGEND at Orient.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Warren Bagnall, done the rounds with Lewes, Crawley, Worthing etc.... Not sure what he is doing now.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
We had a Kid called Karl Whinder in our School.

He went to play for some really odd u21 team in Africa and had a few trails for Premiership clubs.
Now plays for Keymer and Hassocks!

I remember him, was in my year at school, very very good looking fella. He left Keymer and Hassocks but might be going back this year.

Apparently there was a boy a few years below me called Pedro Perrino who was the first gay footballer to ever play in the J league. Started at Spurs though. Not sure what hes up to now.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Munkfish said:
I Heard about this rember reading it in the argus about 5 years back! rember reading somthing about him being compard to jan molby :ohmy:

He was less mobile that Jan Molby.

I used to work with a guy called Thomasss Braan who was the 2nd gay player to ever play in the J league. Started at West Ham I believe. Not sure where he is now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was at primary school with Tony Towner; he punched me in the face when I scored an own goal. :(

A work colleague of mine was at school with Mad Dog Kennedy. He said that he was a total nutter, and nowhere near the best footballer in the school, although the only one who turned professional.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here