Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best home game at the Goldstone

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
So many games during the glory years of 77-83. Particularly remember the 1-0 win over Forest thanks to Gary Williams' 25-yard screamer, especially Cloughie's comment afterwards that "no-one beats Peter Shilton from 25 yards".

Also a memorable 3-1 win over Spurs around the same time, although marred somewhat by fan trouble. Seem to remember seeing that one from the East terrace, rather than my normal spot just to the right of the goal in the North Stand.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
The games that stand out for me are my first match at the Goldstone, obviously, which was Portsmouth in 1983/84.

Liverpool, which was televised on a sunday afternoon. I think it was the FA Cup 4th Round, when Gerry Ryan and Terry Connor scored 2 in 2 minutes.....I still have that one on VHS

Southampton in the FA Cup quarter final, because it was the first time I saw 25,000 inside the Goldstone...what a beautiful sight, and that was back in the day when we used to lob bog rolls (stolen from the train) from the north stand...and ...and.....I had a big Union Jack flag and everything! ~ :rolleyes:

Arsenal in the FA Cup for the same reason as above really, over 26,000 at the Goldstone and a cracking atmosphere..... pity we didn't have much to cheer about. I saw a gobby gooner get a right kicking outside the north stand after that game as well.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
These are the responses I got : -

"Yes we played at the goldstone ground, brighton on the 22nd of july 1995 and lost 8-0. lol.
The team consisted of loaned players and youth players but im having trouble finding out what players played. "

And then this....

"It was an away fixture, last of four in that comp for Spurs. We only agreed to join in to help UEFA who were struggling for teams. Who then fined us, or at least repremanded us, for not playing full sides. Spurs Team v Cologne was : Chris Day, Steven Carr, owen Coll, Mark Newson*, Jamie Clapham, Paul Byrne* (Simon Wormull), Kevin Watson, Alan Pardew*(YES HIM !), Spencer (Gary Sampson), Sean Slade (Paul Mahorn), Andy Turner.
* = Loan player. "

It's starting to bug me now. :angry:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
These are the responses I got : -

"Yes we played at the goldstone ground, brighton on the 22nd of july 1995 and lost 8-0. lol.
The team consisted of loaned players and youth players but im having trouble finding out what players played. "

And then this....

"It was an away fixture, last of four in that comp for Spurs. We only agreed to join in to help UEFA who were struggling for teams. Who then fined us, or at least repremanded us, for not playing full sides. Spurs Team v Cologne was : Chris Day, Steven Carr, owen Coll, Mark Newson*, Jamie Clapham, Paul Byrne* (Simon Wormull), Kevin Watson, Alan Pardew*(YES HIM !), Spencer (Gary Sampson), Sean Slade (Paul Mahorn), Andy Turner.
* = Loan player. "

It's starting to bug me now. :angry:

As much as your team have provided us with excellent comedy value over the past couple of seasons, The thread says "Best home game & the goldstone was the home of Brighton & Hove albion:thumbsup:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
As much as your team have provided us with excellent comedy value over the past couple of seasons, The thread says "Best home game & the goldstone was the home of Brighton & Hove albion:thumbsup:

That's nice.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, too many. In no particular order my favourites are:

a) The 3-2 victory over Sheff Wed when we got promotion from the old third under Mullery (1977).

b) 2-1 win over 1st division Ipswich in the league cup in 1976 (we eventually got knocked out by Derby).

c) 2-1 win over Aston Villa in about 1972. Captured for posterity by the MoTD cameras.

d) England U21 6-0 win over Norway with Wardy getting a hat-trick.

e) 1-0 FA Cup quarter-final win over Norwich in 1983

f) 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest in about 1979/80. It was Clough's first visit back to the Goldstone and we won with a SUPERB goal from Gary Williams.

g) Fans Utd v Hartlepool.

I'll stop there before I fill up a whole page.

Percy Flage

Perfidious Albion Exile
Nov 6, 2008
The High Weald
Always enjoyed the mid-week evening games
One against Palace in the reign of Peter Taylor I stands out in the memory - although the details are a bit hazy!
2-0 to us, Fred Binney both goals? Venables and Malcolm Allison wearing his 'lucky fedora' getting plenty of stick on the Palace bench. Over 30,000 crowd, great atmosphere but a bit crushed.
Happy Days

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
My all time favourite was 1960 home to the current English league champions Burnley in the FA cup.
The ground was packed to see the Albion force a 3-3 draw with a late thunderbolt from full back Bob McNicol, when he struck a shot from just over the half way line.
Sadly we lost the replay at Turf Moor 0-2

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Strangely, although I been to all the big Goldstone games two memorable ones were

Rotherham 3-2 with Ken Beamish scoring two (if my memory is right) in a 28,000+ crowd in the old Division 3 circa 1971.

And a FA Cup second round replay 3-1 v Aldershot before a 31,000+ crowd in the sixties.

4-4 v Orient was very atmospheric as well. As well as the Spurs game 3-1 on goals scored to the Albion.

Also the Willie Willie Irvine match against Aston Villa in the old Division Three. 2-1

Then again in the old Division 3, Ward 4, Mellor 3 York 2.

Not sure of my memories for the details.

Albion 2 Liverpool 0 in 1984 FA Cup.

jonesie

Feb 19, 2009
I was thinking that along with the Man City game in the cup run and the 7-0 v Chester (?? - Jimmy Case hat trick).

The 7-0 game was against Charlton, my first ever game at the Goldstone. I was told off by my friends grandad for cheering to loudly however he turned a blind eye to the effing and jeffing and fighting going on in the chicken run.

Best game for amusement Albion 4 - 4 Leyton Orient when that lad handcuffed himself to the post at half time and someone ran on and tried to lamp Ray Wilkins - quality.

I'm not having that what-so-ever. I have the video and I'm 100% sure it's the goldstone. I even asked about it on a Spurs forum, and they seem to think so too..

But yeah, on 'Hotspur Stats' it says that the Koln game was the Away game, so something strange is going on.

deffo away. Your record cup defeat I believe

and i went to the Lucerne game (nice warm sunny day as I recall), and you were pants!:bigwave:

and the uefa web site confirms this

Video on uefa.com
Group 2
Clubs Pld W D L GF GA Pts
Köln 4 2 2 0 11 2 8
Luzern 4 2 2 0 8 5 8
Öster 4 2 1 1 7 5 7
Tottenham 4 1 0 3 3 13 3
Rudar 4 0 1 3 3 7 1

Key:
Date Home Score Away

25/06 Tottenham 0 - 2 Luzern
25/06 Öster 0 - 0 Köln
01/07 Rudar 1 - 2 Tottenham
01/07 Luzern 3 - 2 Öster
08/07 Köln 2 - 2 Luzern
09/07 Öster 3 - 1 Rudar
16/07 Tottenham 1 - 2 Öster
16/07 Rudar 0 - 1 Köln
22/07 Köln 8 - 0 Tottenham
22/07 Luzern 1 - 1 Rudar

Last updated: 21/08/2008 11:30 CETSeason 1995
Final tournament - Group stage

Last edited:

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Beating Bristol Rovers 2-1 to get promotion in 1987.
Losing to Arsenal in cup the same year
Orient 4-4
Ipswich 2-1 with DW free Kick
Millwall in play offs 4-1
Last game against Donnie
York city abandond game

Happy Days!!!!!! :albion2:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not of the quality of many of the games i attended at the goldstone but the quarter final v norwich 1-0 victory the memory of case rampaging toward goal and the sheer release of joy will remain with me always.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
deffo away. Your record cup defeat I believe

and i went to the Lucerne game (nice warm sunny day as I recall), and you were pants!:bigwave:

and the uefa web site confirms this

Video on uefa.com
Group 2
Clubs Pld W D L GF GA Pts
Köln 4 2 2 0 11 2 8
Luzern 4 2 2 0 8 5 8
Öster 4 2 1 1 7 5 7
Tottenham 4 1 0 3 3 13 3
Rudar 4 0 1 3 3 7 1

Key:
Date Home Score Away

25/06 Tottenham 0 - 2 Luzern
25/06 Öster 0 - 0 Köln
01/07 Rudar 1 - 2 Tottenham
01/07 Luzern 3 - 2 Öster
08/07 Köln 2 - 2 Luzern
09/07 Öster 3 - 1 Rudar
16/07 Tottenham 1 - 2 Öster
16/07 Rudar 0 - 1 Köln
22/07 Köln 8 - 0 Tottenham
22/07 Luzern 1 - 1 Rudar

Last updated: 21/08/2008 11:30 CETSeason 1995
Final tournament - Group stage

Ahh, thank you for clearing that up for me mate. :)

I defiantly went to one of the home games, not sure which one it was though, I would have to ask my dad. Also, I think the reasons we were 'pants' was because we had a load of players on loan from Barnet and Wimbledon :laugh: , we got fined for fielding a weakened team even though we only entererd to help UEFA out :laugh:. Mental, I also notice Alan Pardew played in one of them games.:shootself

"In 1995, Pardew appeared four times on loan at Tottenham Hotspur in the UEFA Intertoto Cup.[2] " - Wikipedia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here