Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best home game at the Goldstone

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Great memories but I don't think anyone has mentioned Boxing day v Bournemouth in 71/72.

The had a couple of thousand down and were early into the North Stand. by kick off the crowd was 30,600 and the atmosphere was electric, especially in the North as the pack crowd swayed & surged.

Albion beat Bournemouth 2-0 as well and they were the 'glamour' team with McDougal & Boyer upfront.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Rochdale, 1 - 1 to gain promotion in 1971 I think. 34k in the ground, packed to the rafters, fantastic night. :clap2:

It was '72 and was the first game I remember going to as a ten year old, but am sure I must have been taken along earlier...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
0-0 V Grimsby 1997/98 Gary Chivers debut.

3-0 V Northampton 1997/98

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm surprised that no one (especially ward4mellor3) hasn't mentioned the Walsall game when we were 0-0 at half time. Talk about the North stand going mental as Wardy and Mellor did what we remember them for for 45 unforgettable minutes.

My other highlights were the Derby League Cup tie when Wardy scored so early, the Eric Potts come from behind win against Sunderland (thousands of Sunderland fans down for a midweek game :bowdown:), the 3-1 thrashing of Tottenham when the original Tank scared the sh1t out of the Hoddle & co.
And for different reasons the York abandonment, Mansfield break-in and Fans United.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
:ascarf:
10-1 Wisbech. (And we won 9-1 at the next home game.)

Blimey I remember that game, didn't Johnny Goodchild get four goals? I remember a small band of Wisbech supporters in front of the West Stand singing "We're going to win the cup" when 9-0 down! The magic of the cup at the best ground in Britain, 1965 I think.:ascarf:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm surprised that no one (especially ward4mellor3) hasn't mentioned the Walsall game when we were 0-0 at half time. Talk about the North stand going mental as Wardy and Mellor did what we remember them for for 45 unforgettable minutes.

My other highlights were the Derby League Cup tie when Wardy scored so early, the Eric Potts come from behind win against Sunderland (thousands of Sunderland fans down for a midweek game :bowdown:), the 3-1 thrashing of Tottenham when the original Tank scared the sh1t out of the Hoddle & co.
And for different reasons the York abandonment, Mansfield break-in and Fans United.
My memory must be going because I remember the Eric Potts 'come from behind' (oooh err) win over Sunderland as a Saturday? Another 'come from behind' win I remember going absolutely mental over was when we beat Hull City of all people with Gerry Fell instead of Wardy at number 8. I think it was the same season but it wasn't an important or 'must win' game so I don't know why that sticks in the memory.

Re the Walsall game, it's obviously memorable because of the scoreline (and all seven goals coming in the second half) but I think it was fun more than anything. Once we were 2-0 up I knew we were going to win and it became a bit of a procession. Ditto a 7-0 win over Charlton.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
My memory must be going because I remember the Eric Potts 'come from behind' (oooh err) win over Sunderland as a Saturday?.

Oh please don't worry. My memory is so sh1te its embarrassing, so you are likely to be right. I remember it was dark and thinking how amazing it was how Sunderland always brought so many fans to Brighton. Could easily have been a Saturday. We need an anorak to look it up in one of the books.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh please don't worry. My memory is so sh1te its embarrassing, so you are likely to be right. I remember it was dark and thinking how amazing it was how Sunderland always brought so many fans to Brighton. Could easily have been a Saturday. We need an anorak to look it up in one of the books.
One of us is certainly going a bit gaga as I remember it as a bright sunny day! :lolol::lolol:

You're right, there's never an anorak around when you need one.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
One of us is certainly going a bit gaga as I remember it as a bright sunny day! :lolol::lolol:

You're right, there's never an anorak around when you need one.

:lolol: Oh fcuk. That's done me, I'm going back to bed.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Best? Fans United day hands down

Most memorable - 2-1 defeat to Arsenal in 87, biggest home crowd I've been in (29k?), the 4-3 defeat to Millwall some time in the 90's, and the 3-2 defeat to Darlington in 97 (or late 96?) when Bellotti was run from the west stand and everyone protested outside for ages afterwards. As I was in the sponsors seats for that game it was very interesting indeed...

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Best? Fans United day hands down

Most memorable - 2-1 defeat to Arsenal in 87, biggest home crowd I've been in (29k?), the 4-3 defeat to Millwall some time in the 90's, and the 3-2 defeat to Darlington in 97 (or late 96?) when Bellotti was run from the west stand and everyone protested outside for ages afterwards. As I was in the sponsors seats for that game it was very interesting indeed...

cant believe i forgot to put fans utd on the list too!!!!
Think the Arsenal game was about 26k......biggest crowd i was in at the Goldstone too.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
:lolol: Oh fcuk. That's done me, I'm going back to bed.
Barry, I think we can call it a draw! It WAS a Saturday, but it was in February, so when Pottsy scored it was probably dark!

God knows where I got the sunny afternoon memory from, maybe I was thinking of the following season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rochdale, 1 - 1 to gain promotion in 1971 I think. 34k in the ground, packed to the rafters, fantastic night. :clap2:

The game was boring, but the crowd was unbelievable. No clapping, too tightly packed in and got there 90 minutes before the game. Queue at kick-off eight abreast down to Sackville Rod, Gates were closed, I think.

Ray Train with a spectaular goal nearly spoilt the show. Banker draw, Albion needed a point for promotion and Rochdale needed a point to saty up.

Did not hear any cheering when Rochdale scored. 34,000+ and everyone could hear a pin drop.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I'm not having that what-so-ever. I have the video and I'm 100% sure it's the goldstone. I even asked about it on a Spurs forum, and they seem to think so too..

But yeah, on 'Hotspur Stats' it says that the Koln game was the Away game, so something strange is going on.

didnt wimbledon play at the goldstone in the inter toto cup one year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here