Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Ever Player Signed For The Albion

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Given that he cost us £4000 and was sold for a hundred times more than that Peter Ward, thread closed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's hard to believe that, given the very obvious suggestions of Lawrenson, Ward, Smith and Zamora, people are still chipping in with the likes of "Paul Dickov" :facepalm:

Never saw him play for the Albion but from everything I've heard over the years, simply in terms of sheer class it has to be Lawrenson for me.

He was snapped up by the best club in Europe at the time when he left us, and he cost them £900,000, equivalent to something quite ridiculous now. He was an international class defender, even if he did play for a poor Ireland team- he'd undoubtedly have fitted into the England set up if they'd picked him in time. He ended up being half of what is generally recognised (even by me, & I can't stand Liverpool) as one of the greatest centre half pairings of all time, with Alan Hansen.

Wardy was great for us but never really stood out elsewhere, let alone as an international. Smith had been outstanding but was on his way down by the time he signed for us, and Zamora, while probably the best I've physically seen at the Albion, is a great footballer but not in Lawrenson's league.

So it's got to be Lawro for me. At the merment.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Only saw Ward and Lawrenson play a couple of times when I first started following the Albion - Bobby Zamora has to be my favourite up to the current era in the time I have followed them although Dean Saunders was class as was another player that absolutely no one has mentioned . . . Garry Nelson.

No one has mentioned Saunders??....Have you read the thread, page one??

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
At first I thought no brainer it has to be Lawrenson. Who I think will remain Brighton's best ever player for some time yet.

In terms of the best signing I would say Ward, because without him we wouldn't have got out of the old 3rd division.

Also when Lawrenson left, Gary Stevens fitted seamlessly into Lawrenson's old position. The Albion went on to achieve their highest ever league placing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
to date i would say peter ward or mark lawrenson although case and fashanu were exciting
"signings" in their day.........think cms will give then a run though.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No one has mentioned Saunders??....Have you read the thread, page one??

signed for 60k-Lloyd let him go and Oxford? took him for £1m or something?

For me it's CMS-

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
if cms carrys on the way he does i think he will be the most likely player from the current crop to make it in the the all time 11 , he has the best work rate i think i have EVER seen

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
if cms carrys on the way he does i think he will be the most likely player from the current crop to make it in the the all time 11 , he has the best work rate i think i have EVER seen

I think quite a lot of the current squad have a chance of replacing the all time greats, replacing all of them except Lawrenson. CMS only 97 goals to replace Peter Ward. Scoring rate is OK.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Controversial perhaps, but I reckon it could be Vicente Rodríguez Guillén.

Thoughts?

i agree. he is truly world class

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
As signings go, Vicente is the biggest name to sign for the club. I would honestly say, he could turn out to be.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
depends in what way best really, value, skill, longevity, "Albionness"....., for pure skill I'd have to agree with Gotsmanov, he was amazing in the short time we had him and a signing out of nowhere too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here