Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Ever Player Signed For The Albion

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Of course Wardy was the iconic success story, but being too young to know, could a wiser fan inform me whether we earned a good fee when we sold him to forest?

We didn't really get anything for him when he went to Forest, it was a triangle move.

Ward to Forest from Brighton
Ritchie to Brighton from Man Utd
Birtles to Man Utd from Forest

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We didn't really get anything for him when he went to Forest, it was a triangle move.

Ward to Forest from Brighton - £400k
Ritchie to Brighton from Man Utd - £500k
Birtles to Man Utd from Forest - £1.25m

Just checked it, so we were actually £100k down on the deal in the end.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Mark Lawrenson - absolute no brainer.
Agreed Lawrenson was fantastic and a class above Wardy who did not really make it at the next level. But do not forget Bobby Smith. He played as centre forward for England then three months later played for Brighton. How did that happen?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Not the best, but Hart has probably been the best club servant, a top fellow, and in retrospect my favourite player.

Perhaps Peter Ward, Brian Powney or Mark Lawrenson, but they were before my time.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Has to be Lawrenson, with honourable mentions for Ward and Zamora.

...and if he'd taken his chance and got his second of the game back in May '83, I suspect we'd have a fair few mentions for Mr Gordon Smith!

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Agree bout Lawro, but when we signed Bobby Smith from the Yiddos He was Englands current centre forward, and we were Div 4, would be like Rooney signing for a Div 2 team now :laugh:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Lawrenson should never have chosen Ireland over England, would have been one of the greatest centre backs the international team ever produced.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Lawrenson would have been worth 15 - 20 million in todays market, absolute class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here