Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best bus stop in Brighton (or hove).............

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Where's Beaconsfield Street?
Oh Chappers don't you start!

(It's just up from Magenta Close before Cirencester Avenue becomes Manchester Way)

Dick Knights Mum said:
Lord B is not claiming that one ......
Certainly not. The Hollingbury Road stop belongs to my former colleague, Steve.

Can I just comment on the Beaconsfield Road stop?

Excellent now. But was complete rubbish in the mid-seventies, when I lived round the corner. The main service that used it came down Preston Drove and timekeeping was hopeless.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the off-licence called the Shed? I think it's still there, but under another name. In those days, it used to sell Cyprus Sherry on draught to little old ladies who turned up with milk jugs for an evening's supply.

D

Deleted User X18H

Lord Bracknell said:
Certainly not. The Hollingbury Road stop belongs to my former colleague, Steve.

Can I just comment on the Beaconsfield Road stop?

Excellent now. But was complete rubbish in the mid-seventies, when I lived round the corner. The main service that used it came down Preston Drove and timekeeping was hopeless.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the off-licence called the Shed? I think it's still there, but under another name. In those days, it used to sell Cyprus Sherry on draught to little old ladies who turned up with milk jugs for an evening's supply.
my noble Lord I am disappointed 'The Shed' is at the top of Beaconsfield VILLAS

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

Aah, yes. The Shed is still there under the name Preston Park Wines or summat equally boring. Great shop, where the man with the cardboard hair hangs out.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Lord B

As you appear to be the fountain of all knowledge on Brighton bus stops, please can you explain to me why the St Lukes Terrace stop on Freshfield Road has been moved a whole 10 yards further up the street.

Now every Tom, Dick and Harry sit on our garden wall waiting for the bus (which being an 81 hardly ever turns up), and our front garden has become something akin to a rubbish tip:angry: :angry: :angry:

D

Deleted User X18H

Any way Lord B was it the 59 or the 54 that used to come down Preston Drove as me and my late father used to get on a bus from Burwash road to the old stiene that used to take in Hollingdean and the bridge with the mirror he used to take me on the old amusments down by the then aquarium

Last edited:

hove born&bred said:
my noble Lord I am disappointed 'The Shed' is at the top of Beaconsfield VILLAS
Quite right.

The old brain is failing me.

I blame the Shed and my abuse of its products 30 years ago.

If my memory serves me right (which it clearly doesn't), it was the 46A that came down Preston Drove. Later surplanted by the 7 and 7A (the Brighton Corporation services that went to Hollingdean - not the all singing, all dancing, all night B&H services that we know today).

As for the St Lukes Terrace stop, I haven't a clue why it's moved. Far too recent a development, I'm afraid. I know a man called Paul who will know the answer, though.

Last edited:

hove born&bred said:
Any way Lord B was it the 59 or the 54 that used to come down Preston Drove as me and my late father used to get on a bus from Burwash road to the old stiene that used to take in Hollingdean and the bridge with the mirror he used to take me on the old amusments down by the then aquarium
It was the 59 that came down Preston Drove. Introduced in 1983, to replace the 7A and maintain links between Hollingdean and Lewes Road / Brighton Station when the new Hollingdean Shuttle (route 50) first started.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm quite fond of the one outside Portslade Health Centre, as I can stand there idly looking at the old fire station across the road (now a tool hire shop), and can also see the trains as they travel over the bridge between Fishersgate and Portslade stations, which is always a thrill. The stoney flint wall also offers lumpy but satisfying support for the buttocks, with that "olde englishe" touch.

However, for sheer white-knuckle excitement, you'd have to go a long way to top the Stagecoach bus stop outside the Albion pub on the A259 in Fishersgate. This offers a breathtaking panoramic view of the east-west (or west-east) coastal road as it meanders along the Portslade/Fishersgate Riviera. To the west you can see the imposing power station as it towers majestically over Shoreham Docks, while to the east you can see the Kings Head public house, widely recognised as the entertainment mecca of the south. The tempting aroma of pork scratchings is all encompassing as it wafts from the air vents of the Albion pub, to enhance your bus-waiting experience.

The bus shelter itself is a simple affair. If you are lucky, the glass will have been shattered, leaving a spectacular display of a million shards of glass, glittering like tiny diamonds on the path, their rainbow colours dancing in the sunlight.

You don't know bus stops until you have experienced this one. I urge you to arrive in plenty of time before your bus is due so you can fully appreciate its delights.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Easy 10 said:
I'm quite fond of the one outside Portslade Health Centre, as I can stand there idly looking at the old fire station across the road (now a tool hire shop), and can also see the trains as they travel over the bridge between Fishersgate and Portslade stations, which is always a thrill. The stoney flint wall also offers lumpy but satisfying support for the buttocks, with that "olde englishe" touch.

However, for sheer white-knuckle excitement, you'd have to go a long way to top the Stagecoach bus stop outside the Albion pub on the A259 in Fishersgate. This offers a breathtaking panoramic view of the east-west (or west-east) coastal road as it meanders along the Portslade/Fishersgate Riviera. To the west you can see the imposing power station as it towers majestically over Shoreham Docks, while to the east you can see the Kings Head public house, widely recognised as the entertainment mecca of the south. The tempting aroma of pork scratchings is all encompassing as it wafts from the air vents of the Albion pub, to enhance your bus-waiting experience.

The bus shelter itself is a simple affair. If you are lucky, the glass will have been shattered, leaving a spectacular display of a million shards of glass, glittering like tiny diamonds on the path, their rainbow colours dancing in the sunlight.

You don't know bus stops until you have experienced this one. I urge you to arrive in plenty of time before your bus is due so you can fully appreciate its delights.
Yes all very nice easy but I did ask for Brighton or Hove not the Pikey suburbs:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
hove born&bred said:
Yes all very nice easy but I did ask for Brighton or Hove not the Pikey suburbs:lolol:
Sorry B&B, but I really felt I would be doing the good people of NSC a disservice if I kept this little gem of a bus stop to myself.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is it just the bus stop in Beaconsfield Road where the electronic 'time to next bus' type display thing is taking the piss, or is it all of them?

5A Hangleton 2 min
5B Hangleton 7 min
5A Hangleton 14 min

...says the display, then 5B comes flying down Beaconsfield Villas, and the minutes on there countdown like a stopwatch. Marvellous scenes. NOT.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Do you beaconsfield roaders get off at that stop after home games I'll be looking out for you.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Aah, yes. The Shed is still there under the name Preston Park Wines or summat equally boring. Great shop, where the man with the cardboard hair hangs out.

Indeed. The starting place for my underage drinking, in fact. Is "the man with the cardboard hair" the same guy as the Woody Allen lookalike whom I remember working there at the time?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Lord Bracknell said:
As for the St Lukes Terrace stop, I haven't a clue why it's moved. Far too recent a development, I'm afraid. I know a man called Paul who will know the answer, though.

Would that be the same Paul who has now answered my query to my email to buses.co.uk ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here