Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best bus stop in Brighton (or hove).............

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has to be the stop at the top of Beaconsfield Road where the routes of the 5 & 5A & 5B merge into one. It's got the satellite-control thang, and even if the 5B's are doing their really annoying thing of coming along two at a time with a twenty minute wait til the next one, then the laws of averages sez there will be a 5 or 5A along in a couple of minutes. Hoorah! :clap2:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tom Hark said:
Has to be the stop at the top of Beaconsfield Road where the routes of the 5 & 5A & 5B merge into one. It's got the satellite-control thang, and even if the 5B's are doing their really annoying thing of coming along two at a time with a twenty minute wait til the next one, then the laws of averages sez there will be a 5 or 5A along in a couple of minutes. Hoorah! :clap2:

'Top of' Beaconsfield Road? It's a flat road, old boy.

I use that bus stop every morning. Very nice. The bus stops at Fiveways for the 26 and 46 are closer - but they've got no soul. And they're noisy, and full of people from Holllingbury. Ugh! Mind you, so are the 5 and 5A, as well as people from - here goes - Patcham. Double ugh!. The 5B - different class. Very nice ladies on that route, let me tell you.

To continue the 5/5A theme, it has to be the bus stop outside the Preston Park Hotel for buses into town.

Now that it has that timer thingy that tells you how long the bus is going to be, say 15 or 20 mins, you can stroll into the hotel and order a pint of Guinness. Down it, stroll back the few yards to the bus.

It's like having a bus stop with an attached bar. Can that really be beaten? I don't think so.

The only flaw is I'm always late going into town watching all the 5s go past as I'm sinking my second and third pint...............

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
To continue the 5/5A theme, it has to be the bus stop outside the Preston Park Hotel for buses into town.

Now that it has that timer thingy that tells you how long the bus is going to be, say 15 or 20 mins, you can stroll into the hotel and order a pint of Guinness. Down it, stroll back the few yards to the bus.

It's like having a bus stop with an attached bar. Can that really be beaten? I don't think so.

No. No it can't :drink:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
London Irish said:

The only flaw is I'm always late going into town watching all the 5s go past as I'm sinking my second and third pint...............
There must be more of them in town surely? Might be one or two in Lewes Road. Or one or two in Western Road. Dammit, you're right - not enough bus stops next to pubs and bars. :down:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Its got to be the one by hove station. Got a copy of Men Only where some young lady is flashing her bits at said stop. There's even an old lady waiting for her bus in the photo!

Seconded - with accurate times, a bus every 7 minutes guaranteed (daytime - but buses run 24 hours), The Station pub there (with best Pizza in town, the Mozarella Peking Duck) and an offy which sells 8 Damburgers (5%) for £5. Or you can buy fags. And there are choice birds coming off the london trains all the time as well. Unbeatable.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
'Top of' Beaconsfield Road? It's a flat road, old boy.

I use that bus stop every morning. Very nice. The bus stops at Fiveways for the 26 and 46 are closer - but they've got no soul. And they're noisy, and full of people from Holllingbury. Ugh!
Oi! That's my local bus stop you're dissing there! 'Oo you lookin' at? Young master Brovian one got his fingers wedged in the gap between the glass panels and we had to pour suncream on them to loosen them.

Actually the wierdest bus stop in Brighton and perhaps Britain is in that area outside the Stanmer in Hollingbury Road. There's a post, a shelter and a timetable but, er, no buses. Apparently it was for a night bus service.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Bottom of North Street heading east. The bank next to the stop has great big windows and big ledges about four off the ground. Perfect for sitting in if you are young enough to hop up.

D

Deleted User X18H

Brovian said:
Oi! That's my local bus stop you're dissing there! 'Oo you lookin' at? Young master Brovian one got his fingers wedged in the gap between the glass panels and we had to pour suncream on them to loosen them.

Actually the wierdest bus stop in Brighton and perhaps Britain is in that area outside the Stanmer in Hollingbury Road. There's a post, a shelter and a timetable but, er, no buses. Apparently it was for a night bus service.
I think you people are getting your Beaconsfield roads and Villas mixed up

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
hove born&bred said:
I think you people are getting your Beaconsfield roads and Villas mixed up
Eh? The Large One and myself were talking about the one in Ditchling Road by Fiveways. Mind you I'm BN1 so I expect I know the area a lot better than someone from Hove. *thumbs nose*

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Lord Bracknell said:

Every local government officer wants to have a permanent monument to their work. I have my bus stops. I am very proud of them.

Rightly Lord B. Well placed bus stops with shelter are bloomin important. As anyone catching a bus today will testify.

D

Deleted User X18H

Brovian said:
Eh? The Large One and myself were talking about the one in Ditchling Road by Fiveways. Mind you I'm BN1 so I expect I know the area a lot better than someone from Hove. *thumbs nose*
If you read carefully you will see that I have long resided in Preston Circus ............please enlighten me how Beaconsfield road stretches any where near the fiveways.

If you want I am happy to provide BN1 geog lessons.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
hove born&bred said:
If you read carefully you will see that I have long resided in Preston Circus .............
I know, I know! I was just rattling your cage. However my original post referred to the bus stops in FIVEWAYS which TLO said he didn't like to use because of the other clientel. I never mentoned Beaconsfield Road, Villas, Avenue, Street, Gardens, etc etc etc etc. You quoted the wrong post.

D

Deleted User X18H

Brovian said:
I know, I know! I was just rattling your cage. However my original post referred to the bus stops in FIVEWAYS which TLO said he didn't like to use because of the other clientel. I never mentoned Beaconsfield Road, Villas, Avenue, Street, Gardens, etc etc etc etc. You quoted the wrong post.
I realise that now I bet it was shitty at that bus stop this morning Mrs HB&B said she got drenched on her way to L&G

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here