Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
:eek: so hard to choose.

i love the manics but zepplin and queen were just fantastic.

im going for...ummmm...i dont know yet

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the beatles

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Of that lot, Radiohead have had the most impact on me musically. Yeah, the sound whiny at times, but so do i. For a while they were the soundtrack to my disfunction and as i grew, they seemed to also, veering in and out of styles they fancied.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Scotty M said:
the beatles

The first ever manufactured boy band. Pre make over they were leather jacket wearing rockers...turned into suit wearing clean cuts types and then went on to make some good songs and some really shit ones 'Revolution #9' etc. Not bad, some classics but not the best. Would not even make my top 5.

The Jam...as English as you can get and music that meant something. Amazing live as well which is something the beatles were not.

The Who...live they were out of this world..listen to 'live at leeds'. THAT is what live music should be.

The Rolling Stones...su-bloody-perb. Much better then the beatles and didnt turn into pretensious tossers.

The Kinks..Ray Davies was every bit a lyrical match for Lennon.

Should have included The Stone Roses somewhere...sorry.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Clash

Too many reasons to mention here, but to pick just one, not one single other band on the poll list constitutes GENUINE rebel music.

Joe Strummer R.I.P

:bowdown:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
New Order. Had the most impact on music thats *still being listened to*. Beatles may have changed the face of music, but its music of the past.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Shit..forgot the clash. Can someone edit the clash in for the verve and the stone roses in for the small faces?

The clash..superb but not the best in my opinion.

My mate met Joe Strummer a week before he died and got a signed pic of him. Must be worth a bit now I guess.

Bugger bugger bugger forgot New Order as well.

Shit...I should think these through first.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
m20gull said:
Led Zep for being the only band on the list where I can put on a track I've heard before and still go "wow!".

Same reasoning I'd have voted New Order

Blue Monday, starting from silence, played very very loud. 23 years old and still fresh.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
The first ever manufactured boy band. Pre make over they were leather jacket wearing rockers...turned into suit wearing clean cuts types and then went on to make some good songs and some really shit ones 'Revolution #9' etc. Not bad, some classics but not the best. Would not even make my top 5.

QUOTE]

The Beatles started with an almost blank sheet, the Jam painted by numbers ( by copying the Who) and consequently can't hold a candle to the Beatles. Sorry Richie but to put the Jam above the Beatles is bollox. Just my opinion mind!

Pink Floyd for me, a band who were truely different and absolutely amazing live and long before Dark Side of the Moon thrust them into the commercial limelight.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Beatles changed the face of Pop music, but most of there stuff is faily twee and simple on reflection. Id go so far as to say that Beatles II, aka Oasis, produced better music. Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd have to be the best.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Oasis are far better musically then the beatles. The Beatles have been romanticised over time. Yes they were good but look at the people in the audience at gigs..it was the equivilent of a Busted fan base now. The Rolling Stones and The Kinks etc were the cool acts of the time and were doing far more musically. The Small Faces experimental work stretched music far more then the beatles three chord wonders ever did and the who were pioneers musically in a way the beatles can only dream of.

I change my vote to the who.

QUADROPHENIA FOREVER

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Icy Gull said:
The Beatles started with an almost blank sheet, the Jam painted by numbers ( by copying the Who) and consequently can't hold a candle to the Beatles. Sorry Richie but to put the Jam above the Beatles is bollox. Just my opinion mind!

Pink Floyd for me, a band who were truely different and absolutely amazing live and long before Dark Side of the Moon thrust them into the commercial limelight.

I'd have said that The Jam were more influenced by The Clash than the Who - even if they never really acknowledged it. But to compare The Jam and The Beatles is folly. You can compare individual tracks, but not their careers. For me, the best Jam songs are better than the best Beatles ones, but the Beatles were more consistent in quality.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Large One said:
I'd have said that The Jam were more influenced by The Clash than the Who - even if they never really acknowledged it. But to compare The Jam and The Beatles is folly. You can compare individual tracks, but not their careers. For me, the best Jam songs are better than the best Beatles ones, but the Beatles were more consistent in quality.

Ok, the beatles had more mediocra songs over a number of years, but the jam quit while they were ahead. For me that means something. It means they cared enough to not produce shit songs. In the time they were together the jam were the biggest british band in the world and had 20 odd hit singles. Not bad considering their age.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Richie Morris said:
Oasis are far better musically then the beatles. The Beatles have been romanticised over time. Yes they were good but look at the people in the audience at gigs..it was the equivilent of a Busted fan base now. The Rolling Stones and The Kinks etc were the cool acts of the time and were doing far more musically. The Small Faces experimental work stretched music far more then the beatles three chord wonders ever did and the who were pioneers musically in a way the beatles can only dream of.

I change my vote to the who.

QUADROPHENIA FOREVER

Oasis are NOT better than the Beatles; in fact the former is more or less a tribute band of the latter. And you simply cannot compare the fan base of a 60s band with that of a current band.

It is you who has a romanticised view of the 1960s bands. the view at the time was that The Who were little more than a gimmick-laden band who were uncontrollable on the road. Which of course is bollocks - but that was the view then.

The Kinks were all but written off after 'Days' came out, and it's only in retrospect that Ray Davies' work has come to be appreciated. The Small Faces wer a great band, but you cannot call them ground-breaking and the Beatles not in the same breath. The Beatles covered far more styles than the Small Faces.

And Quadrophenia is closer to Pink Floyd's work than to the Small Faces or the Kinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here