Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkamp joins Brighton

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Please tell me you're on some kind of massive wind up. A man who has commanded over £24m in transfer fees, has won the UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup (x4), has been capped 62 times for his country and has scored well over 100 Premier League goals, not to mention countless assists and still only 33. Yeah you're right, why would we want to sign a player like Heskey?

Am I the only one to see the irony in this Heskey debate being played out on a thread titled 'Bergkamp joins Brighton'?
The parallels are uncanny.

People on here are creaming themselves over the possibility that a Bergkamp might be signing, principally because a Bergkamp in past years was an amazing footballer with incredible skills.

The reality is that this year's version of Bergkamp will almost certainly not live up to the past glories of the previous version. Who could!

Equally ... some of you appear to be creaming yourselves in a similar vein about the ridiculous idea that Emily Heskey might somehow turn up at the Amex, and the source of your excitement is that in past years Emily has commanded high transfer fees, won cups, won international caps and scored goals in the Premiership.

The reality is he did most of that in his 20's. He is now 33, and this year's version of Emily will almost certainly not live up to the past glories of the previous version.

I am unable to get excited about the prospect of either of these two gentleman signing for us ... but I would be absolutely delighted if either proved me wrong, although Heskey will not be signing so I won't need to worry about that one.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Dutch U21 international has to be a 1st team starter IMHO, how many players have we got good enough to play or have played for England U21's? Dutch U21's v England U21's, can't be much in that? Come on folks, this is just the sort of signing we want, surely, and he's free, and for sheer flair value his name is as good as it gets. A young and dynamic possee of forward players is circling the Amex now - Hoskins, Buckley, Bergkamp, Adgestein, Lua Lua and Barnes....

Stumpy Tim

The commercial aspects of signing a Bergkamp can't be ignored either. How many kids (and grown-up kids!) will buy a Brighton shirt so they can have Bergkamp on the back... And hopefully he'll get the number 10 too! Would be a very clever signing if it happens, and hopefully he can play a bit too.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Am I the only one to see the irony in this Heskey debate being played out on a thread titled 'Bergkamp joins Brighton'?

People on here are creaming themselves over the possibility that a Bergkamp might be signing, principally because a Bergkamp in past years was an amazing footballer with incredible skills.

The reality is that this year's version of Bergkamp will almost certainly not live up to the past glories of the previous version. Who could!

Equally ... some of you appear to be creaming yourselves in a similar vein about the ridiculous idea that Emily Heskey might somehow turn up at the Amex, and the source of your excitement is that in past years Emily has commanded high transfer fees, won cups, won international caps and scored goals in the Premiership.

The reality is he did most of that in his 20's. He is now 33, and this year's version of Emily will almost certainly not live up to the past glories of the previous version.

I am unable to get excited about the prospect of either of these two gentleman signing for us ... but I would be absolutely delighted if either proved me wrong, although Heskey will not be signing so I won't need to worry about that one.

You DO realise its not DENNIS?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

aren't people just pointing out that Heskey would be a success and isn't the cart horse that one or two posters believe him to be.

Don't think anyone on this thread actually thinks he is coming.

FAir enough if you think his hold up play and pisitional sense is good enough for a team aiming to hold their own in the Championship then thats up to you. Personally I don't think he's good enough for team with those kind of aspirations.

You have a history of posting fairly controversial opinions, but this is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen you post.

As for Bergkamp - he's picked up one cap for the Netherlands U21 side that topped their Euro's qualifying group (ahead of Spain, who went on to win the tournament) before losing a playoff against the Netherlands. Not a bad side to be on the fringes on. Hopefully he'll be decent, but he's on a free and I can't imagine his wages are that huge; what's not to like?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
sorry chaps without trolling through 11 pages, (I have been out of the picture for 2 days) who is this Berkamp bloke and is he signing?

sorry chaps without trolling through 11 pages, (I have been out of the picture for 2 days) who is this Berkamp bloke and is he signing?

Roland Bergkamp, apparently turned down a new contract with struggling Eredivisie team Excelsior to sign for us (according to the Dutch press). It was in the Mail online yesterday, picked up either from here or one of the Dutch language websites, but no confirmation from the club yet.

Oh, and he's a distant relative of Dennis.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Roland Bergkamp, apparently turned down a new contract with struggling Eredivisie team Excelsior to sign for us (according to the Dutch press). It was in the Mail online yesterday, picked up either from here or one of the Dutch language websites, but no confirmation from the club yet.

Oh, and he's a distant relative of Dennis.

thank you, sounds interesting, the only confusion I have here is where Emile Heskey fits into a thread about Berkamp signing!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I just rememebered that I saw FC Twente v Excelsior earlier this year. Twente mullered them in fairness. The standard wasn't that great either. Maybe lower league Championship, hard to tell.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
I just rememebered that I saw FC Twente v Excelsior earlier this year. Twente mullered them in fairness. The standard wasn't that great either. Maybe lower league Championship, hard to tell.

Is this the same Twente that drew with Inter Milan, Spurs and Werder Bremen last season? I think this maybe a little higher standard than lower Championship!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bit misleading to be fair.

He played one season at age 18 breaking into the team in the Eerste Divisie (First division). He played 23 games plus 3 in the play-offs and scored 3 with 3 assists - not too bad a start at that age.
They were promoted to the Eredivisie (equivalent to our Premier league but in standard it has a range similar to the Scottish Premier). Last August he made his Eredivisie debut. Aged 19 he played his first full season in the Dutch top flight playing 28 games (21 starts and 7 as sub) scoring 5 goals with 2 assists. They then had a (successful) relegation play offs where he played 4 games and scored 2 goals. Interestingly, from a total 25 starts last year he was only subbed off 6 times which is actually very good for a young centre forward in a side that was struggling to punch above it's weight (Excelsior's stadium capacity is only about 3,500!). All-in-all I would say that is pretty useful for a young prospect and if he adapts well and given logical progression he could very easily "do a Barnes" this season and next.

The good news for many will be that at 6'3" he is quite possibly the target man that many have suggested we need and would presumably mean that we would no longer be looking to Chris Wood.

Roland Bergkamp - Total performance data - transfermarkt.co.uk

All in all I think this is a very good signing indeed and as Gus promised he is certainly "a name fans will recognise" and quite possibly someone who will "excite fans in the city".

Loving that great summary SG... I, for one, would welcome this signing... a Dutch U21 and playing top-flight Dutch football is a good sign, and in those video clips he looks like he uses his height well, and has good feet for a big guy...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm really excited about this signing. He looks big, strong and is fairly mobile. He is the perfect foil for the smaller and quicker Hoskins and Barnes. Be good if it's true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here