Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett to norwich

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The story itself is very feasible. What is not feasible is that Bennett's agent has been telling all and sundry what his client is going to earn at Norwich. I'm also doubtful that Gus would let negotiations drag on while we have a run of such important games going on. This makes me suspect that the OP (or whoever told him) is bullshitting.

I should state that by suggesting this, I am not endorsing the whole story but maybe the agent would leak a ridiculous weekly wage to up any potential counter-offer from Albion? I would be gutted if Benno went, but I am also confident that if he did, it would be for a price that suits us and that the money would be reinvested wisely...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Moggy is presumably not making this up. Whether or not he spoke to his actual agent and whether the agent/random person was telling the truth is another matter. He could be trying to unsettle things again.

Who is his agent? I know George Ndah is an agent to a few Wolves players.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't know, I've heard from someone within QPR that Taarabt is on 23k there.

I'm pretty sure it was revealed in the press that Savage was on 25k a week at Derby when he joined us on loan.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I do not think anyone will be surprised if Norwich come back in for Bennett in the summer...What I do find odd is the fee quoted in this thread. I personally think Elliott is worth more than a million and he is certainly worth more than a million to the club as a whole. Apparently we were close to losing him in January when Norwich bid a million and I am a little disturbed by that as I see that as a low figure especially when we have to pass on a wedge to Wolves.

To further compound this it is widely believed that the Canaries bid 3million for Craig Mackail-Smith...Now I do not want to get into a EB v CMS debate but if they are willing to throw 3million Peterborough's way then we can definitely prise some more cash out of them...Especially as Elliott is the 4-4-2 League 1 Player Of The Year and leads the table with the most assists.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
That would be Taarabt who signed from a Premiership club and who is the best player in the division? Do you really think an accomplished League One player (who may or may not be up to top-end Championship football) would be on a similar wage?

A fair point, but equally you could say that Taarabt signed for QPR for £700,000, which is less than Bennett's hypothetical transfer. Those kinds of wages are paid at that level, and if Norwich are prepared to pay that kind of money for him one would assume they'd see him as an important player and pay him as such.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I do not think anyone will be surprised if Norwich come back in for Bennett in the summer...What I do find odd is the fee quoted in this thread. I personally think Elliott is worth more than a million and he is certainly worth more than a million to the club as a whole. Apparently we were close to losing him in January when Norwich bid a million and I am a little disturbed by that as I see that as a low figure especially when we have to pass on a wedge to Wolves.

To further compound this it is widely believed that the Canaries bid 3million for Craig Mackail-Smith...Now I do not want to get into a EB v CMS debate but if they are willing to throw 3million Peterborough's way then we can definitely prise some more cash out of them...Especially as Elliott is the 4-4-2 League 1 Player Of The Year and leads the table with the most assists.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

This ^

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I should state that by suggesting this, I am not endorsing the whole story but maybe the agent would leak a ridiculous weekly wage to up any potential counter-offer from Albion? I would be gutted if Benno went, but I am also confident that if he did, it would be for a price that suits us and that the money would be reinvested wisely...

Err? What counter offer? Bennett is on a long term contract and is going nowhere unless the board agree!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So why would the board change their mind esp now we look like going up?!

Also I will also ask - WHAT IS THE NAME OF HIS AGENT?!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
How would his agent know that the money will go into our transfer budget for next season?

Apart from that the rest seems reasonable to me.

Brighton were supposedly very close to accepting Norwich offer in January, Norwich know this therefore are unlikely to offer much more. Maybe £1.5m tops.
Bennett wanted to go, and according to some of you hasn't been the same player since, so maybe we did agree to letting him go in the summer.
There are plenty of Championship players on that sort of money so that is what Brighton have to compete with.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
Done deal now!

goes end of season for around 1million
Will be on 17k a week there
Money from transfer goes onto transfer budget next season
Gus look at a winger at west broom as replacement

Did he tell you this in confidence? Just, blabbing about it on a BHAFC fans forum, isn't going to win you any brownie points.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Illya_Kuryakin.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think £1 million for EB is too low. We're as good as up but Norwich don't know in which division they'll be paying. To renew their interest they must think he's good enough for the Prem, in which case £1 million is a bollocks offer. As a Championship side you'd struggle to get his quality for the same price, and our first priority next season must be to cement our place in that division.

What's worrying is the fact the offer isn't higher than the figure bandied about back in January. We have 15,000 STHs signed up for next season and are almost certainties for Championship football. Therefore, we're not as desperate for the £1 million as most other League 1 clubs might be.

I can see that it's cheaper for Norwich to do their shopping now, as opposed to making it into the Prem and being perceived as a moneybags club by selling clubs. Bennett and Mackail-Smith might cost them a combined £4 million now but that could rise to £6million in the summer if Peterboro and us get promoted.

It's disappointing that Bennett can't just enjoy the moment and focus purely on the Albion. If he's really worth the money then he'll have plenty of opportunities come his way in the next few months anyway.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
To stick my two pence in, I think this is highly unlikely to be true and come via a random person on a internet fans message board, lets get a little real here shall we.

Having said that, I do think Norwich will come knocking again but only if they dont go up, if they do reach the top flight, my feelings would be that Lambert will look elsewhere...I could however be wrong on that.

In regards to how much would we get, I agree with the comments people have made about 1 million being a pathetic amount for a player who has been a major force in our success, one of the most exciting young players in the league and assists that blow most players in his position to pieces.

2 million for me would be about right, remembering we have to replace him.....for me he goes with my blessing, I dont feel the same about him as a player before all this happened but then again this isnt a popularity contest and if we get 2 million towards making us a force in the higher division then see you later Benno and thanks.

Lua Lua can replace him and we can have Nooney steaming down the other wing!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i find it unlikly that deals would be done at this time of the season.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
To add to this, I can't believe Norwich are not waiting to see what division they are in next year before agreeing deals. I think Bennett is a fantastic player but I would think Norwich will aim a little higher if they get to the Premier League.
I'd agree with that. Their promotion to the Premier League is still in the balance, but in the (quite likely) event that they do get there, surely it's a huge gamble to be spending £1m+ on a player who, for all his potential, doesn't even have ONE Championship appearance to his name? Clearly Lambert rates him, but he must realise he'll have much greater backing to bring in more proven, established top flight players should they return there. Obviously the flip-side is we know how great Bennett is, and how much he is worth to us - but it just strikes me as a little naive that Lambert/Norwich board are still pursuing this outside of the window despite the significant price tag AND the fact they have no guarantee of our respective positions next season. But then I guess you have to take risks at some point.

Having said all that, when the OP mentioned a West 'Broom' replacement, Giles Barnes' name popped into my head - a player I've always thought Gus might go after should we lose Bennett. Providing his fitness problems are behind him.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Err? What counter offer? Bennett is on a long term contract and is going nowhere unless the board agree!

Well, it should be that simple but is it really?

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
whatever will be, will be etc etc

it ain't gonna detract from what's going on as far as our promotion is concerned

we - of course - will be ideally placed to replace him then - if it's true

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not sure if anyone can dig it up but I read a thread similar to this one on Norwich message board a few days ago. That thread said that it was Brighton who had changed their mind, does seem odd but no smoke without fire

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here