Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bendtner and the hardships of being a footballer....

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
He did say "i'm not complaining" so he appreciates that he has got a lot there for him, but he says there are things that he can't do that maybe you don't consider.

But still, carry on ripping in to him because he's bitching about stuff isn't he.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think that it's possibly the fact that he earns £6 million a year, playing football may have something to do with it.

Plus this is Nicklas Bentdner not Wayne Rooney - If I saw him in Wokmania I wouldn't even give him a second glance!

thought it was stated that he was on £50k a week.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Never mind what he said, he's put his head above the parapet, he gets paid £50K a week and he's shit.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
£50k week Nicklas Bendtner gives us all a sobering insight into the life and trevails of being a multi-millionaire Premiership footballer:

"There is a price to pay as well for us players. Personally, I think I pay a big price with my body, my time and with never being able to have privacy when I am out and around other people.

‘I am not complaining. It’s a natural part of being a professional footballer but it is definitely a price to pay when, for example, you can’t go out to eat in a restaurant with your girlfriend without photographers chasing you. The biggest thing I miss because of football is that I really, really love to go on a skiing holiday but as long as I have my career, I can’t do that because of the risk of being injured.

‘That is one thing that has been taken away from me by football that other young people can do. They have the freedom to decide how to spend their time. I see friends doing interesting things with their lives but I have always made football my first priority.

'We spend an incredible amount of time, energy and focus on our football career. When we are not training or playing matches, we still have to live for football."

Fair play to Nicklas for coming out and revealing this. I honestly didn't realise the sacrifices, such as skiing holidays, that these poor guys have to make in order to have a career in football. The next time I find myself rolling my eyes at the millions and millions being paid to suffocatingly average footballers in wages, I'll have cause now to stop and remember the fact that they can never go skiiing, ride a motorbike, go bungee-jumping or ride an ill-disciplined wild mustang on a sheep-herding trip to Arizona.

Food for thought isn't it.
Ah but they're the slings and arrows you must suffer in order to earn an outrageous fortune. (To borrow a phrase from Shakespeare)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I really can't see the problem with what he's said. I'm sure he, and most top sports pros, realise how lucky they are to get paid to do something that most of us do for fun. He has just given a general comment on the lifestyle that goes with living in such a privileged position.

I think most people are just jealous of the earnings. Maybe we should despise our chairman as well? If some of the speculations of his wealth are to be believed then he will be earning more than a premiership wage on interest alone, and I bet he still goes skiing!!

And probably drinks and possibly gets to travel the world for the odd game of poker without having to be worried about training the next day. Hell why not, who the bloody hell does Tony Bloom think he is. Life of luxury and gets to buy his football team without having to abstain from anything other than a bit of pork!

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
For 50k a week i would happily take the sacrifice of not being able to ski for a few years! Poor bloke will have to go to Dubai instead

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
He did say "i'm not complaining" so he appreciates that he has got a lot there for him, but he says there are things that he can't do that maybe you don't consider.

But still, carry on ripping in to him because he's bitching about stuff isn't he.

But if he is not complaining why is he even saying it then? Surely if that was the case he wouldn't have needed to have given the interview.

You would have thought there would be a little more humility from the bloke seeing as he gets a stonking salary for in a lot of peoples opinion being a very average footballer while having to make very few sacrifices as the rest of us see it. I mean not being able to go skiing is hardly the biggest sacrifice I have ever heard a sportsman have to make nor is the possibility of being photographed stumbling half naked out some nightclub or with your flash motor stuffed against a tree. I think I and a lot of others could handle this and as Bentner is so sh1t I reckon I and a lot of others are not far off him as a footballer too:)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
And probably drinks and possibly gets to travel the world for the odd game of poker without having to be worried about training the next day. Hell why not, who the bloody hell does Tony Bloom think he is. Life of luxury and gets to buy his football team without having to abstain from anything other than a bit of pork!

All this and I bet he's shit at football as well!

It's not all about money and fame in life. Time is most valuable, and while lifetime slips away dedicated to work Bendtner expressed his desires to enjoy OTHER things about his life aside from work-related things.
It's easy to poo-poo that and say he's spoiled, but does anyone on here prefer to have their social time affected totally by their job?

Many players have to retire from the game through injury too, and possibly suffer for the rest of their lives with their health because of it.
Put a price on that, when you only get one life and one body!

Okay, so everyone can compare footballers favourably against disabled or others less fortunate - but is that always the point?
I don't know but personally - maybe a regular non-famed life doing a 'regular' job of my choice and in the land I choose to live in, is not so very bad!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's not all about money and fame in life. Time is most valuable, and while lifetime slips away dedicated to work Bendtner expressed his desires to enjoy OTHER things about his life aside from work-related things.
It's easy to poo-poo that and say he's spoiled, but does anyone on here prefer to have their social time affected totally by their job?

Many players have to retire from the game through injury too, and possibly suffer for the rest of their lives with their health because of it.
Put a price on that, when you only get one life and one body!

Okay, so everyone can compare footballers favourably against disabled or others less fortunate - but is that always the point?
I don't know but personally - maybe a regular non-famed life doing a 'regular' job of my choice and in the land I choose to live in, is not so very bad!

There a whole lot of people who have their social lives spoiled by their job and that's not counting the ones who can't afford a social life. Frankly he's more than compensated and let's face it, he could retire tomorrow and never do a scrap of work. He can have all the social life he wants then.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's not all about money and fame in life. Time is most valuable, and while lifetime slips away dedicated to work

Err..whatever! Most of us have to work into our 60's before we can retire and even then a lot will have to watch what they spend money on. This guy is almost certainly a multi millionaire so could retire tomorrow and never have to worry where the next penny is coming from. Along with other Pro footballers he is out of touch with 'real life'!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I just feel for them, and short their careers are. Blimey, just to think, if I'd been a Premiership footballer, I'd be finished, washed up, retired by now. Nothing to look forward to in life other than 40-50 years of leisure as a multi-millionaire. Nightmare, you just gotta feel for 'em haven't you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Top footballers (and decidedly average ones who get lucky) live and exist in a bubble. Most of them have no concept of what its like working a 40 hour week, or having to save up for something they want, having to budget, having to make difficult choices and make sacrifices. I'm sorry, but eating and drinking healthily, and not going skiing is not a "sacrifice" in any sense of the word. Its a means to protecting and prolonguing a hugely lucrative and cossetted lifestyle.

For the likes of Bendtner to come out and say "hey, we have to make sacrifices too, theres a price for us to pay" is frankly insulting to the intelligence. He's fortunate to earn a lavish lifestyle from something he loves doing. Fair enough, I don't begrudge him that, we'd all jump at the chance of doing the same. But please spare us the PRICE he supposedly has to pay with his "time" and his "skiing". Jesus.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It must be terrible to have to make such sacrifices as not being able to go skiing because of your job. A bit like this chap, a private in the Royal Anglian Regiment, who had his leg blown off by a landmine in Afghanistan. I'm sure he can identify with poor old Nicklas Bendtner's pain...

article-1205361-0601AE4A000005DC-504_468x299.jpg

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It must be terrible to have to make such sacrifices as not being able to go skiing because of your job. A bit like this chap, a private in the Royal Anglian Regiment, who had his leg blown off by a landmine in Afghanistan. I'm sure he can identify with poor old Nicklas Bendtner's pain...

What a STUPID post.

So, i imagine if your house is EVER cold, or you dinner is not brilliant that evening you wont ever even DARE mention it as this would be a small complaint in comparison to an African orphan who is dying from malaria?

Or if you have to work late, or someone has sent you a snobby work email, you wont moan as this would be forgetting those who work making shoes for about 7p and hour?

You cant just pick a RANDOM person who is worse off as a reason to not ever say something is annoying you.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Is that soldier moaning about losing his leg. f*** me there are people out there who have lost BOTH legs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Never mind what he said, he's put his head above the parapet, he gets paid £50K a week and he's shit.

Ha Ha. So, if your employer offered you £50k a week (which I assume you don't currently earn) you are going to take the high ground and say to your boss that you don't feel justified in that salary so could you stay on peanuts please. Let's not forget that the players are employees and they will earn what their employers are prepared to pay.

As for putting your head above the parapet, can you provide a list of all footballers that are allowed to give interviews and those that aren't.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is that soldier moaning about losing his leg. f*** me there are people out there who have lost BOTH legs.

That lad's not going skiing either, by the look of it...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
God there are some dumb comments on here bourne out of envy and the fact that Bendtner isn't the best striker in the world. Edna has stooped to a surprisingly low level and as for the idiot who did similar but this time by comparision to his own mother it beggars belief. Your mum must really be proud of you using her condition in such a way. mejonaNO12 aka riskit got it spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here