Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interesting why they think he would be a cheap option. Liverpool fans were referring to Bissouma as a cheap option a few weeks ago. Do they think because it's little old Brighton our players will be cheap. They obviously don't know too much about our Tony.

The simple answer is yes they do - and will continue to do so until we make that breakthrough and sell someone for megabucks.They're wrong, but that's what they think.

I can see situations in the summer like the White saga of last summer - clubs will be interested in some of our players, and will offer a price which they think should be more than enough for little old Brighton. The offers will be rejected of course; they'll think, like Leeds did, that perhaps an extra million or two should over-awe us. It won't - the would be purchaser will look elsewhere and the player will stay with us.
Because we're very new to top-flight football, and because we've never sold anyone for megabucks it is like having a glass ceiling. I'm sure we'll break through it eventually - maybe after successful international appearances have raised players' profiles. And no, we shouldn't sell players cheaply - if purchasers won't meet our valuation, they don't get a deal. Leeds found that out!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Wonder where we'd place the value of Ben White after this season. Assuming we stay in the division, if he was valued at £20/30million after his good season in the Championship, then after a decent season in the Prem we'd surely want £40m plus.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wonder where we'd place the value of Ben White after this season. Assuming we stay in the division, if he was valued at £20/30million after his good season in the Championship, then after a decent season in the Prem we'd surely want £40m plus.

You seem to be confusing 'valued at' and 'what we want'. Last summer, the only valuation we had in terms of a concrete offer was £25-£30M from Leeds; we weren't interested - it didn't match 'what we want' and Leeds didn't get their man.
FWIW, I think if they had come back and said 'sorry for messing you around and trying to get him on the cheap, how about £40M with a hefty sell-on clause?' Tony would at the very least have listened - but hey, that's just my speculation.
This summer, I'm sure we'd want £40M ++ - but if nobody values him at that level we won't be selling.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Spurs pay only half bale's wage so a snip at 300k per week

I heard they’re paying 450 of his 650pw.
A tidy sum either way.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The simple answer is yes they do - and will continue to do so until we make that breakthrough and sell someone for megabucks.They're wrong, but that's what they think.

I can see situations in the summer like the White saga of last summer - clubs will be interested in some of our players, and will offer a price which they think should be more than enough for little old Brighton. The offers will be rejected of course; they'll think, like Leeds did, that perhaps an extra million or two should over-awe us. It won't - the would be purchaser will look elsewhere and the player will stay with us.
Because we're very new to top-flight football, and because we've never sold anyone for megabucks it is like having a glass ceiling. I'm sure we'll break through it eventually - maybe after successful international appearances have raised players' profiles. And no, we shouldn't sell players cheaply - if purchasers won't meet our valuation, they don't get a deal. Leeds found that out!

Fans may be a bit clueless, but deal makers at clubs will be fully aware that we turned down £25m from Leeds last season before he'd even proven himself at this level. They won't bother making any bids under 30m for White.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You seem to be confusing 'valued at' and 'what we want'. Last summer, the only valuation we had in terms of a concrete offer was £25-£30M from Leeds; we weren't interested - it didn't match 'what we want' and Leeds didn't get their man.
FWIW, I think if they had come back and said 'sorry for messing you around and trying to get him on the cheap, how about £40M with a hefty sell-on clause?' Tony would at the very least have listened - but hey, that's just my speculation.
This summer, I'm sure we'd want £40M ++ - but if nobody values him at that level we won't be selling.

We didn't want anything. Brighton simply said he's not for sale.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We didn't want anything. Brighton simply said he's not for sale.

Somewhere ......... there would have been a price we'd have accepted, if it had been offered. Every player has their price. It's just that with White nobody offered that price which would have changed Bloom's mind. We can only speculate - as I did - what that price might be, but as sure as the sun rising there is a price out there somewhere which would have got him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Somewhere ......... there would have been a price we'd have accepted, if it had been offered. Every player has their price. It's just that with White nobody offered that price which would have changed Bloom's mind. We can only speculate - as I did - what that price might be, but as sure as the sun rising there is a price out there somewhere which would have got him.

He went straight into the team and is part of Potter's plan. Unless there is better out there, or coming through the academy, it makes him 'priceless'.
Staying up adds value to specific team members, so it's not like having to sell because we get relegated.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
He went straight into the team and is part of Potter's plan. Unless there is better out there, or coming through the academy, it makes him 'priceless'.
Staying up adds value to specific team members, so it's not like having to sell because we get relegated.

It’s staggering how many people don’t understand that every player is for sale at the right place.

There’s nothing wrong with admitting White would have gone at some price.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s staggering how many people don’t understand that every player is for sale at the right place.

I understand it but staying in the PL is worth £100K alone before you put a price on the player. White is part of that plan which is why he starts games.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

TB might have sold for £50m.

But he knows nobody is going anywhere near that.

In the real world, that's the same as saying he has no price and is not for sale

I'd probably human traffic my Mrs to someone for 100 million quid .... I'm in effect saying, I wouldn't sell her as that's would be way above a sensible valuation :)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Nobody is 'priceless'. Every player at every club has a price. Doesn't mean anyone will be willing or able to pay it, but they still have a price at which the club would sell if it was offered.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Nobody is 'priceless'. Every player at every club has a price. Doesn't mean anyone will be willing or able to pay it, but they still have a price at which the club would sell if it was offered.

Precisely. If someone offered us one billion then would we sell? Of course. If Liverpool could buy him for a quid then they would. So that means that the price we would sell at is between 1 and 1 billion. Whether someone else values him as highly as we do is what sets the price. It is basic economics of supply and demand.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Precisely. If someone offered us one billion then would we sell? Of course. If Liverpool could buy him for a quid then they would. So that means that the price we would sell at is between 1 and 1 billion. Whether someone else values him as highly as we do is what sets the price. It is basic economics of supply and demand.

When was the last time Tony Bloom sold a player, he didn't want to sell?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I understand it but staying in the PL is worth £100K alone before you put a price on the player. White is part of that plan which is why he starts games.

Blimey, £100k. Is that all? Barely seems worth all the effort and stress, does it. So Leeds should just up their offer to £25.1m, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Fans may be a bit clueless, but deal makers at clubs will be fully aware that we turned down £25m from Leeds last season before he'd even proven himself at this level. They won't bother making any bids under 30m for White.

They're the same ones who think they can swoop in and pick up Bissouma for £20m no questions asked. Of course if (e.g.) Man Utd really thought we'd flog Bissouma to them for £20m they'd have signed him in January.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here