Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well yes, I suppose what I mean is that it only takes a couple of wins to reel someone in at the bottom of the table, whereas it takes sustained good form at the top, all things being equal.

You're looking at it from the perspective of the chasing team though. Excluding Norwich, we need 3 out of 4 teams to overhaul us, and all 4 of them are struggling for form and have averaged less than a point a game all season. It only takes one out of Brentford or Fulham to catch Leeds, and Brentford are looking particularly strong.

To back me up on this, the odds from Betfair and Paddy Power have Leeds at 5-1 to make the playoffs - ie finish outside the top 2. The same bookies have us at 22-1 to be relegated.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
not really an asset then. He might be useful to you but can't see him being desirable to any other PL club, much like our own Glenn Murray

i was being facetious over the prized asset comment. white isn't, done a decent job, yes, prized asset, nope.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
i was being facetious over the prized asset comment. white isn't, done a decent job, yes, prized asset, nope.

Because he isn't your asset :S
Let's be realistic. If White had come through your youth system he would be your prize asset.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

great. can you go and re-educate the rest of your fans then as they seems to think he is the best thing to happen to your club since Cantona!

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Like i said earlier in the thread, they also thought ridsdale was the second coming of christ. not the sharpest tools in the box.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If Ben White was a Leeds player he would be your most valuable player, young centre backs who can play football, as Webster proved, demand a very high price but another thing, Webster was outstanding for BC and took 6 months or so for us before we started to see the best of him. You can’t underestimate the jump in standard, it happens every year teams and players come up and get a cold hard reality check.

Hughton was good for us as he didn’t allow that attitude and although we were very defensive, we did what we needed to survive in the first few seasons when we were odds on for relegation. Good luck.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
exactly. the gulf is massive. white played against luton last night and not manchester united for a reason. anyone wanting to give you £40mil for him while he is still so top level unproven i'd snap their hands off. i think he is a good player but no where near as good as the hype that surrounds him, i actually feel a bit sorry for him. he seems like a genuinely decent guy who just wants to play football, bob around with his girlfriend and mum and live a quiet life, and instead he has the weight of "england captain" best ever rah rah rah on his shoulders.

i'm fairly sure we will mess up the play offs again this year but if we did come up we need experienced lumps at the back to keep us up, not unproven 22 year olds.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
exactly. the gulf is massive. white played against luton last night and not manchester united for a reason. anyone wanting to give you £40mil for him while he is still so top level unproven i'd snap their hands off. i think he is a good player but no where near as good as the hype that surrounds him, i actually feel a bit sorry for him. he seems like a genuinely decent guy who just wants to play football, bob around with his girlfriend and mum and live a quiet life, and instead he has the weight of "england captain" best ever rah rah rah on his shoulders.

i'm fairly sure we will mess up the play offs again this year but if we did come up we need experienced lumps at the back to keep us up, not unproven 22 year olds.

Do you seriously think you won’t get automatic? Blimey

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Do you seriously think you won’t get automatic? Blimey

I have a Leeds "friend" who swears blind they will mess this up again.

I don't agree, the difference this season is that no one has shown any consistency, and every time anyone one of the others has put together a run and got a bit closer they have crashed and burned.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i do think we will make a hash of things yes, fully expect a play off final defeat to cardiff. you can't be a leeds fan for all these years and expect anything else.

i nearly wrote i'd be happy to be proven otherwise but not sure that is true. i'm kind of fond of the championship, the people, the towns, the clubs, the grime, the hoofball, the effort and while the bottom half of the pl is not too dissimilar what fun is a league dominated (leicester anomaly) by same few teams over, with squeaky clean corporate bowl stadiums. the away end at luton clambering through what could be someone's front room is how i like my football, not a manufactured generic cut out emirates away day.

but yes, i expect us to mess it up.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
i do think we will make a hash of things yes, fully expect a play off final defeat to cardiff. you can't be a leeds fan for all these years and expect anything else.

i nearly wrote i'd be happy to be proven otherwise but not sure that is true. i'm kind of fond of the championship, the people, the towns, the clubs, the grime, the hoofball, the effort and while the bottom half of the pl is not too dissimilar what fun is a league dominated (leicester anomaly) by same few teams over, with squeaky clean corporate bowl stadiums. the away end at luton clambering through what could be someone's front room is how i like my football, not a manufactured generic cut out emirates away day.

I agree with everything you say Starry. When we first went up, I thought the experience to be pure magic!! But now, not so much. However, it's all about money and I wouldn't be so naive as to say that it didn't help in many ways. I guess that's what happens.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I loved the championship each year we missed promotion as well :wink:

I have never thought of relegation as a complete and utter disaster unlike some on here, as I did thoroughly enjoy our time there, but given the choice, I'll stick with what we've got. It's more predictable, but beating one of those top 6 teams who have so much more money than you feels absolutely fantastic, the games against the lower teams are all important and we get to play Palace (if they can keep up).

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

The journey is always better than the destination.

FWIW you won't blow it again.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Leeds can't afford Ben White anyway - if they get promoted they have to buy that lad from Leipzig for 20M Euros - who has barely played for them

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I loved the championship each year we missed promotion as well :wink:

I have never thought of relegation as a complete and utter disaster unlike some on here, as I did thoroughly enjoy our time there, but given the choice, I'll stick with what we've got. It's more predictable, but beating one of those top 6 teams who have so much more money than you feels absolutely fantastic, the games against the lower teams are all important and we get to play Palace (if they can keep up).

I was going to write similar. Man Utd x 2 (but not last night!), double over Arsenal, clinically dismantling Spurs earlier in the season.

And even when you lose sometimes, against Liverpool at home in our first season was hugely entertaining.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was going to write similar. Man Utd x 2 (but not last night!), double over Arsenal, clinically dismantling Spurs earlier in the season.

And even when you lose sometimes, against Liverpool at home in our first season was hugely entertaining.

Liverpool and Chelsea down here previous years have been superb to watch, frightening :eek:, but superb

Wolves was excellent entertainment this season, but I enjoyed Spurs more :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here