Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Are you actually plucking figures out of the air :lolol:
You will find its a lot more than that as quoted on various platforms including the Yorkshire Evening Post unless you think that paper is 'deluded' as well.

That 180m figure that you often see or hear quoted as 'promotion money' (often surrounding the play-off final) is misleading. It's a combination of the estimate of TV money for one season in the PL (about 100m for the bottom 3) and 2 years' parachute payments of approx 45m and 35m to give the 180m total.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
£113.5m for us for 15th place this season including prize money......plenty of links available to look it up. Now, you tell us where you get £180m from (that's more than Liverpool got this season), and how much of your windfall will have to be spent on wages (which will be multiples of what you have been spending up till now)

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...wn-of-the-2019-20-premier-league-prize-money/

The biggest thing they're completely ignoring is they got promoted with a load of other clubs players - like Huddersfield. They've signed a couple of them and got the Man City lad back on loan, but all of that is just to stand still with a championship squad, minus their best player.

Getting in a raft of new players, getting them all into the Bielsa system (when Augustin proves some will flop), getting that brand new squad to perform in the best quality league in the world is a massive challenge. I'm glad they underestimate it.

20 million for bloke whose scored 16 in the Swiss league? maybe he will be ok, but far more of those types of lower priced punts end up not making it at this much higher level, as we well know from bitter experience. Best player in dutch Eredivisie struggled like crazy at this level. PSV main centre forward, utter garbage in the PL.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Im aware of how it works but we do have a transfer plan similar to Sheffield Utd. They seemed to have done something better than you. You're banging on about your great youth system but when are we going to see a top 10 Brighton? Will this all suddenly click this season whilst Leeds hover around the relegation zone. I can't predict this season but i've a hunch we will do ok. Let's see if you can beat 15th position :lolol:

How the mighty have fallen. Leeds looking up to older Brother Sheff United is brilliant :lol:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You have just contradicted yourself. So you will probably sign 3 or 4 players whilst you are also implying that Leeds will only have this team but now without White? You do know we now have around £180m in promotion money now. Leeds are not daft and will have to sign players to compete. Bielsa will attract decent stock without costing the earth. Spending £100m doesn't guarantee you success, any Villa fan will tell you that.

How exactly did I contradict myself? I said that we have a massively stronger squad than you do currently on paper and gave examples of how (nothing about how that is all you will have when the transfer window shuts). I thought that was pretty clear. As I said, you don't win anything on paper so there are no guarantees (we may get relegated and you be top six as your fans assume) but I'd spend more time focusing on your current lack of signings than I would making comments about the Brighton squad.

Spending a lot doesn't always work but nor does only making a couple of signings. I'd say if we make two or three signings we will have a solid Premier League squad on paper. If you make two or three signings, you'll still have very little depth and some very unproven Premier League players in your first team. Some players who you expect to do well won't do so in the top division and similarly others will surprise with how well they do but you won't find every player who goes up/you sign will be Premier League quality, whoever your coach is. So I'd say your depth is not great at the moment and two or three signings won't do a lot to help it.

I am assuming your club don't have the same arrogant attitude as your fans to the Premier League. Dismissing teams like Newcastle, Burnley etc (which I've seen quite a lot from your fans on Twitter) who have comfortably stayed up for a while shows how out of touch some fans are with the Premier League you are. There are no easy games at this level, as you will find

Northchatty

Banned
Aug 9, 2020
£180m is what is quoted for promotion to the PL. However, that includes the parachute payments if/when you get relegated.
Factor in the increase in wages, the promotion bonuses, the cost of getting your ground up to PL standard it is nowhere near £180m.

No wonder Leeds got into trouble last time you were in the PL. You're all as thick as mince.

You are out of touch with things. You concentrate on hovering around a point or so above relegation with your great youth system and we will worry about our transfers. You had a good offer for Ben White but have stuck a laughable £50m tag on him. No one else has come in for him. Id have taken the money Leeds offered but your chairman spat his dummy out because he didnt want to sell him to us. What a guy!!

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
You are out of touch with things. You concentrate on hovering around a point or so above relegation with your great youth system and we will worry about our transfers. You had a good offer for Ben White but have stuck a laughable £50m tag on him. No one else has come in for him. Id have taken the money Leeds offered but your chairman spat his dummy out because he didnt want to sell him to us. What a guy!!

No we want to keep him and play him because he is quality. It's just convenient that it also fvcks you up.

Northchatty

Banned
Aug 9, 2020
How exactly did I contradict myself? I said that we have a massively stronger squad than you do currently on paper and gave examples of how (nothing about how that is all you will have when the transfer window shuts). I thought that was pretty clear. As I said, you don't win anything on paper so there are no guarantees (we may get relegated and you be top six as your fans assume) but I'd spend more time focusing on your current lack of signings than I would making comments about the Brighton squad.

Spending a lot doesn't always work but nor does only making a couple of signings. I'd say if we make two or three signings we will have a solid Premier League squad on paper. If you make two or three signings, you'll still have very little depth and some very unproven Premier League players in your first team. Some players who you expect to do well won't do so in the top division and similarly others will surprise with how well they do but you won't find every player who goes up/you sign will be Premier League quality, whoever your coach is. So I'd say your depth is not great at the moment and two or three signings won't do a lot to help it.

I am assuming your club don't have the same arrogant attitude as your fans to the Premier League. Dismissing teams like Newcastle, Burnley etc (which I've seen quite a lot from your fans on Twitter) who have comfortably stayed up for a while shows how out of touch some fans are with the Premier League you are. There are no easy games at this level, as you will find

If we finish 2 places below you based on your average finishing places we will be relegated. The season is also stronger this season. Despite your hate for Leeds they are a big club alongside Fulham. My point being this season has the makings of being a stronger division compared to last season. I wouldn't count your chickens for certain survival either.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think that’s a female?!

:sick:

A big Sky presence there as well with (a tinpot) Jamie Carragher next to the Proclaimer, (tinpot) Gary Neville in front of him and (tinpot) Jamie Redknapp next to Gary.

Not sure what Dick Knight was doing there (up and right from tinpot Redknapp) though.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you actually plucking figures out of the air :lolol:
You will find its a lot more than that as quoted on various platforms including the Yorkshire Evening Post unless you think that paper is 'deluded' as well.
The Yorkshire Post - like any other local paper - tries to please its readership. And like most other local papers these days, seems ro get half of its information from Twatter and other rumour mills.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Tony Bloom is very likely a billionaire - or at least a £800M+ net worth. Since he took over at the Albion there is only 1 player we sold that we did not want to (Ulloa - went to Leicester and we know what happened.)

I'd probably trust him over someone like yourself.

Incredibly laughable how out of touch a club is that has not been in the top flight for 16 years and seem to think they'll be walking straight into mid-table. Hardly blew away teams in the Championship FFS.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

What a load of rubbish. You're the one on the Brighton forum (this is not a Leeds forum remember). Why not go to talk about your transfers on there where you might be welcome (as you certainly aren't here)?

We've not stuck a value on Ben White. He is not for sale. That is clear from most reputable outlets who have a connection to the club. How on earth has Tony Bloom spat his dummy out? Oh yes, you and your club are like a spoilt child. If a team won't sell to you, you sulk and call their chairman names (and say he wants to be with his best friend). This whole issue has made Leeds fans look embarrassing and you are part of that

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The biggest thing they're completely ignoring is they got promoted with a load of other clubs players - like Huddersfield. They've signed a couple of them and got the Man City lad back on loan, but all of that is just to stand still with a championship squad, minus their best player.

Oh no no no.

That’s not the biggest thing they’re ignoring. They're ignoring EVERYTHING that doesn’t fit their cockeyed WACCOE worldview

I struggled to see who the hell would replace Palace on my list of dullards and dipshits that annoy me now they’re solidly mid table journeymen.

Step forward Leeds United.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If we finish 2 places below you based on your average finishing places we will be relegated. The season is also stronger this season. Despite your hate for Leeds they are a big club alongside Fulham. My point being this season has the makings of being a stronger division compared to last season. I wouldn't count your chickens for certain survival either.

We never do.

Northchatty

Banned
Aug 9, 2020
No we want to keep him and play him because he is quality. It's just convenient that it also fvcks you up.

The latter part of that is completely true. Well, trying to f... Us up. Our season does not hang on Ben White. As you lot are saying he is untested in the prem, what if the step up is too big for him? His price will fall. All very possible. The money we offered was also a massive gamble to us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I'm not counting my chickens. In fact, I am constantly saying on paper. But we do have a stronger squad than previous seasons already and Potter has had a season to work with the players and see what is needed. I am more optimistic but that doesn't mean I am assuming anything (unlike the massively arrogant fanbase you have).

By the way, are you talking about Fulham strengthening the Premier League? If so, they finished 10 points behind us in the worst of our three seasons in the Premier League. They are going to have to improve their defence a lot to make the Premier League stronger next season

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The latter part of that is completely true. Well, trying to f... Us up. Our season does not hang on Ben White. As you lot are saying he is untested in the prem, what if the step up is too big for him? His price will fall. All very possible. The money we offered was also a massive gamble to us.

Ben White will probably look at his fellow former U23 team mates - Steven Alzate & Aaron Connolly and how they are now Premier League players under Graham Potter and be confident he can make the same step up.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

The coming season won't be any stronger than the one gone.

None of the teams coming up are anything special to make it stronger.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The 'youth system' is a slow burner - a massive investment in a Cat 1 Academy is only now starting to show it's worth.
Our chairman hasn't said a word - he doesn't need to. We haven't put any price tag on White - he's not for sale. You've bid what you thought we might accept and we laughed it off (at least twice). Our chairman (and lifelong fan) is a (multi) billionaire.

We don't. It's hard. Your lot don't seem to think so though.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

You seem to think we are trying to get as much money for BW as we can. We are not we want to keep him and integrate him into the team. WE DO NOT WANT TO SELL HIM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here