Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the opt in exists, it is certainly weighted in favour of the club.

It will be just the same as Vicente when the club exercises the option of a further year

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
At the end of the day, this sort of attention is pretty much new to us. Whilst there are always rumours, I don't recall this sort of hysteria over a player of ours in the post-Amex era.

However, this is 'normal' for lots of other teams, their stars and their targets. We have avoided it because we are #teamslikebrighton but also because TB likes to do business quietly and professionally.

I'm sure that PB and TB know exactly how to handle this and that the club have put people near Ben to help him manage the situation and, most importantly, not let it impact his game now or in the future (too many players with too much ego in the game already).

I do think that if we were already a top half team we'd be used to this and it wouldn't be as exciting/interesting/infuriating as it is.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Could this be anymore contradictory if it tried...

“ White has never played for Brighton in the league and found himself carted off to Newport County and Peterborough United in the years before United came calling.

Carted !! Really is that what the loan system is called and all about ? There’s me thinking it was called nurturing

White will recognise that lack of faith in Sussex and look to what was put into him by Bielsa.

Obviously, none showing in him by the Albion all these years then....
Doh....

Kinnear said: “Ben is going to be hugely sought-after. It’s one of the risks of doing the type of deal we did. I know supporters say ‘well, why isn’t there an option to buy him”

“The reality was Brighton weren’t prepared to do that, so it was either take the player without an option or don’t take him at all”.

Which tells you, yes you Leeds Fecking United, we, yes We #TeamslikeBrighton are in the fecking driving seat....

He is our player, our asset, and ultimately our decision if we wish to sell him to anyone.....

These comments etc, smack of tapping up.

The best bit for me is the part where someone involved with Leeds talks about reality.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I had a vague recollection of us doing it with Vicente

He was not happy about it either iirc

Some tinpot Spanish outfit wanted him and he wanted to go home

After the cost of having him for a year we took the option and told them he can go for £500k

He had to end up staying with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
He was not happy about it either iirc

Some tinpot Spanish outfit wanted him and he wanted to go home

After the cost of having him for a year we took the option and told them he can go for £500k

He had to end up staying with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did have it right in my mind then.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bit like when we activated Vincentes additional year..
The Albion do this with a lot of contracts now.

It stops players 'walking away on a free' at the end of contract, and guarantees some fee for the Albion as we have 2 further windows to sell the player.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If Ben White goes and we make a huge wad of cash that can be used to strengthen the club, so be it. We’ve still got a very sound defence. Job done. If Ben White stays and plays and turns out to be very good indeed, also job done.

Great position to be in. Pity poor Leeds, who would need to blow a huge chunk of their promotion budget just to stand still.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No way in the world will Liverpool be in for Ben White if they’re not going higher than £10 for Jamal Lewis.

Just Chelsea then. Dunk or White, which one will they want or get?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
If Ben White goes and we make a huge wad of cash that can be used to strengthen the club, so be it. We’ve still got a very sound defence. Job done. If Ben White stays and plays and turns out to be very good indeed, also job done.

Great position to be in. Pity poor Leeds, who would need to blow a huge chunk of their promotion budget just to stand still.

On a player who has played zero minutes in the Premier league, so also a big gamble for the type of cash they'd have to pay.
We win whatever happens, no doubt

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Hasn’t both parties got to agree to the option?
I can’t see him agreeing to an extra year if he’s sitting in the stiffs having fallen out with the club.

Depends how the contract is worded. Normally, however, an option will be one-sided - that is, the club has the right to exercise the option before a given date, and if that option is taken up the player has no say. Two-sided options are pretty pointless, as they are actually implied in contract law - any contract can be modified or extended at any time where both parties mutually agree. There's no need to write an option in for this.

There is a flip side to options, known as break clauses. Release clauses are a form of break clause. Purely hypothetically, another type of break clause a player might want in a contract would be one stipulating that they can break the contract if they play fewer than X matches in a season.

Typically, options will be in favour of the club. Break clauses can be in favour of either, and the most common form of break clause is typically in favour of the player while still entrenching a minimum value on the player for the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here