Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Thatcher

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
If I were him..I'd never go back to Manchester..

2005...he has a stonewall goal disallowed which EVERYONE could see.

2006....some dirty shit pole-axes him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, I believe that an ABH/GBH charge is in order, I also think the FA must implement a change so that yellow cards can retrospectively be converted to a red.

Thatcher needs a lengthy ban to reflect on his actions, and a "3 Strikes and You're Out" of professional football also seems appropriate.

I honestly don't see what the problem is as to why the FA can't get tough. Michael Brown and Ben Thatcher are 2 of the dirtiest players of the last 5 years, and they've both committed shockers this week. Neither would be playing if a 3 strikes rule was in operation.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It wasn't really a tackle more of an all out assualt. He also shows no remorse or concern after the tackle just swears at another portsmouth player and buggers off.
If the FA can't act due the the yellow already dished out then the rules really need to change.
I'm suprised that Man City and Stuart Pearce have not issued any kind of statement since lastnight when Pearce claimed not to have seen it again. Well he must have done by now and as such should come out with a very strong statement condeming thatcher and promising some kind of club punishment.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
80's Seagull said:
Stuart Pearce have not issued any kind of statement since lastnight when Pearce claimed not to have seen it again. Well he must have done by now and as such should come out with a very strong statement condeming thatcher and promising some kind of club punishment.
Yes, I think a few of us are still waiting as to whether "Psycho" is actually brave enough to condemn his own player, rather than keep this cowardly silence going. I'm not holding my breath. The guy's a dirty, moronic retard himself.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
The law is an absolute ASS with yellow cards! If a ref gives a red but retrospectively looks at a video (eg Todd from the weekend) and decides its shouldn't have been a sending off he can reduce it to a yellow or rescind it completely.

However if some mindless **** does what Thatcher did last night, and at the time the ref only see's it as a late tackle so books him, neither he or the FA can look at it afterwards and upgrade it? :nono: :nono:

Absolute bollocks! :angry:

ps. I haven't seen the Brown tackle from the weekend, is it online anywhere?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
According to the BBC Thatcher is now being investigated by both the FA AND the Greater Manchester Police.

From the BBC

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
bhaexpress said:
According to the BBC Thatcher is now being investigated by both the FA AND the Greater Manchester Police.

From the BBC

Benjamin has written Pedro a lovely note saying 'sorry for breaking your neck, hope you didn't die' Oh, well thats alright then

As for Gordon Taylor,

Taylor added: "The PFA has a duty to protect our members. We want to eradicate any reckless play that would endanger a fellow professional.

"I've known Ben since his time at Millwall. He's a robust defender who epitomises the physical side of football ,but that doesn't mean that someone like that is reckless."

I say let Ben Thatcher do the same to him in a charity 5-a'side and see if he still thinks its 'robust' and 'reckless' rather than ****ish and dnagerous. At least he thinks it should be a legal matter if their is intent I suppose.

Last edited:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Man of Harveys said:
Yes, I think a few of us are still waiting as to whether "Psycho" is actually brave enough to condemn his own player, rather than keep this cowardly silence going. I'm not holding my breath. The guy's a dirty, moronic retard himself.

Err...slight over-reaction?

From the BBC...

Meanwhile Thatcher's manager Stuart Pearce will meet his chairman John Wardle and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh on Friday to decide on the internal punishments to be handed to the 30-year-old.

"What happened on Wednesday was indefensible," said Pearce. "Any form of discipline will be discussed at board level, kept internal and we will move on from there.

"But I can assure everybody, this has hit the player very hard. There is no bravado about him. He has gone home, turned the TV and seen the challenge. The more you watch it, the worse it gets."

However, the City manager does not believe Greater Manchester Police should become involved.

"Anything that happens on a football pitch should be governed by the FA and Fifa," Pearce said.

"Once you start involving the police, the floodgates can open and you could end up with a situation where players are arrested during a game."

Thatcher has already written a letter of apology to Mendes.

Pearce added: "Ben is distraught by this. He now realises just how bad the challenge was and his face was ashen when I spoke to him yesterday.

"He is disgusted with himself and there is no way I, or anyone at my club, can defend it. People are having a go at him but, in all honesty, he has not got a leg to stand on."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Benny Zamora said:

From the BBC...

Meanwhile Thatcher's manager Stuart Pearce will meet his chairman John Wardle and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh on Friday to decide on the internal punishments to be handed to the 30-year-old.

"What happened on Wednesday was indefensible," said Pearce. "Any form of discipline will be discussed at board level, kept internal and we will move on from there.

"But I can assure everybody, this has hit the player very hard. There is no bravado about him. He has gone home, turned the TV and seen the challenge. The more you watch it, the worse it gets."

However, the City manager does not believe Greater Manchester Police should become involved.

"Anything that happens on a football pitch should be governed by the FA and Fifa," Pearce said.

"Once you start involving the police, the floodgates can open and you could end up with a situation where players are arrested during a game."

Pearce added: "Ben is distraught by this. He now realises just how bad the challenge was and his face was ashen when I spoke to him yesterday.

"He is disgusted with himself and there is no way I, or anyone at my club, can defend it. People are having a go at him but, in all honesty, he has not got a leg to stand on."
A decidely half-hearted rapid backtrack once he realised he'd screwed up. Are we really supposed to be made for real sorry for poor "distraught" Ben Thatcher now, as he's implying? Nah, the guy's still a moron - that's nowhere near condemning enough under those circumstances, IMHO.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Benny Zamora said:

From the BBC...

Poor Benjy, I'm sure he didn't mean to run full pelt at Mendes, ignore the ball completely and follow through with an elbow to the face. Still looking at the replay as he surfs on Mendes limp body as he collides with the advertising board you can clearly see the concern on little Benjy's face as he aims some abuse as that tarty foreign nancy boy.

Last edited:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Without wishing to hint at any of the sympathy I don't possess for Thatcher, what more would you expect Pearce to say? And, given that he hadn't had the benefit of seeing what we saw on television by the time of his post-match interview, wouldn't it have been a bit rash on his part to have criticised one of his players in the knowledge that it might not have been as wretched as it was?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Benny Zamora said:
Without wishing to hint at any of the sympathy I don't possess for Thatcher, what more would you expect Pearce to say? And, given that he hadn't had the benefit of seeing what we saw on television by the time of his post-match interview, wouldn't it have been a bit rash on his part to have criticised one of his players in the knowledge that it might not have been as wretched as it was?

I'll reserve the right to judge Pearce and Wardle on the punishment that they decide upon. Anything less than a 3 game ban would be an insult to his fellow professionals.

I would personally like to see at least 6 games.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Benny Zamora said:

From the BBC...

Nought wrong with keeping things in house

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Benny Zamora said:
I know what you mean but the sight of the stretcher with a bloke out cold might just have made him bite his stupid tongue and not comment until he'd actually seen what had happened - I don't believe even that brain donor didn't realise it was serious by the time he was doing his pathetic "stand by your man" act.

And what's he actually said since? "He's been a bit naughty and he knows it but we'll sort this out in house, thanks", i.e. "there'll be a transfer request coming in if I'm not careful what I say".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is ABSOLUTELY something wrong with keeping things "in-house".

Man City could suspend him for 2 matches, Spurs might opt for a 4 match ban, Watford 6, Arsenal none.

Football can't have that, particularly as it is not in the club's interest to suspend a player at all, other than to save some face. The penalties should be fixed by the FA and implemented as quickly as is possible.

Having seen a montage of Thatcher's "previous" yesterday I find it incredible that a) He is still allowed to paly foortball professionally, and b) That Gordon Taylor doesn't condemn him more strongly for bringing the conduct of players into disrepute.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Man of Harveys said:

And what's he actually said since? "He's been a bit naughty and he knows it but we'll sort this out in house, thanks", i.e. "there'll be a transfer request coming in if I'm not careful what I say".

there is no way I, or anyone at my club, can defend it. People are having a go at him but, in all honesty, he has not got a leg to stand on."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here