Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham Crocked?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It's his influence off and around the pitch that we'll miss most this summer. Ninja I hope you're right I but really don't think there's any chance of recovering from this in less than 3 months.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It's his influence off and around the pitch that we'll miss most this summer.

That was my worry too. I also hoped that if he came off the bench for the last 30 minutes of a quarter final and put in the dead ball delivery and crosses that he did against United the other day, it could have made the difference.

Never mind. I wish the bloke a fast recovery and hope this isn't the end of his career.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
It's his influence off and around the pitch that we'll miss most this summer. Ninja I hope you're right I but really don't think there's any chance of recovering from this in less than 3 months.

I reckon the opposite. A Beckham media gubbinsfest is the last thing we need.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He's having his operation tomorrow. :clap2: I have a sneaky feeling this ain't over... I would take him, still, if he can prove his fitness. Rooney can't stop scoring headers, Beckham crosses perfectly.. put those things together and we've got a chance at winning the WC!

Mark my words ladies and gents, this ain't over yet. He's having the operation TOMORROW (well, today!), we're not talking about a park player here. We're talking about a chap with the resources to get the best medical treatment in the world (hence flying to Finland for the operation), and we're talking about a chap who has done it before. Admittedly, as Clapham has rightly pointed out, it's different when it's a broken bone. But there's nothing stopping Beckham getting back in contention for the World Cup, the only concern for me is that he won't get much/any game time whatsoever. Easily remedied, of course. But it's not like he was going to be a regular starter in the side anyway, his role is as impact sub now and I can't see any reason why he couldn't still play that role if he can get himself fit and firing.

All of that said, if Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon are both fit, then it doesn't really matter about mr Beckham. Unfortunately, I think this just confirms what most people have thought/known for a long time. His days are over as an International. :down:

David Beckham. :bowdown:

I think you need to google the injury. It is far worse than a broken bone and more akin to something like ligament injury. He is out of the WC which is a crying shame as only Marshy and Alan Green will be happy with that! Still, it maybe that if he is up to it, he could still be taken by Capello, not as squad player, but because of his influence in the dressing room. He certainly lifts the team and fans whenever he comes on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
At a meaningful level you would have to think that this is the end for him so a sad way to end a truly great career and I don't care what anyone says about the media circus - it's the world we now live in. He has been a great footballer at club level here and in europe. He has made a significant impact in helping to revive interest in "soccer" in the USA. He has made a massive impact for England and he has been above all a tremendous ambassador for the game and for his country. He can be proud of himself and we should be proud of him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
At a meaningful level you would have to think that this is the end for him so a sad way to end a truly great career and I don't care what anyone says about the media circus - it's the world we now live in. He has been a great footballer at club level here and in europe. He has made a significant impact in helping to revive interest in "soccer" in the USA. He has made a massive impact for England and he has been above all a tremendous ambassador for the game and for his country. He can be proud of himself and we should be proud of him.

:thumbsup:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

I concur.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hope that Beckham's tangible agony at missing out on World Cup glory can be used as a positive by the likes of Gerrard and Lampard, who aren't likely to have another shot at it themselves. Lampard especially has a tendency to drift or coast through England matches and he needs to buck his ideas up.

I think you need to google the injury. It is far worse than a broken bone and more akin to something like ligament injury. He is out of the WC which is a crying shame as only Marshy and Alan Green will be happy with that! Still, it maybe that if he is up to it, he could still be taken by Capello, not as squad player, but because of his influence in the dressing room. He certainly lifts the team and fans whenever he comes on.

As no one else seems to have commented from a personal point of view on the misfortune of such an injury, I can promise you he ain't going to be ready in time.

From the video I would suggest he has 'only' torn it and not ruptured it like I did - trust me it's horrendously painful. Nevertheless it will still require repairing and unless his name is Lazarus and his body can repair miles quicker than a normal human being, he will be a spectator in SA.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I imagine it will still be his fault when we get knocked in the quarters

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I imagine it will still be his fault when we get knocked in the quarters

:thumbsup: Constructive AND Positive

GET BEHIND THE TEAM!!!

Very very sad for Beckham. Would have probably been a squad player in South Africa, and could have been useful, but we'll never know now.

Could well be the end of his career, but if so at least he went out on a high with his appearance at Old Trafford on Wednesday; would be a fitting finale to his career. However I note that Galliano the Milan vice president has said that he's already told Beckham that if he wants to come back next year Milan will take him with open arms.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I reckon the opposite. A Beckham media gubbinsfest is the last thing we need.

I don't think Capello would have let anything like that happen. While I had doubts over his ability to effect a match on the pitch, off the pitch on the training ground his experience and attitude would have been first class and will be sorely missed. I really think he deserved the chance to become the first player to play in 4 World Cup finals

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I don't think Capello would have let anything like that happen. While I had doubts over his ability to effect a match on the pitch, off the pitch on the training ground his experience and attitude would have been first class and will be sorely missed. I really think he deserved the chance to become the first player to play in 4 World Cup finals

I wonder if they'd consider taking him as an assistant coach in some way or another. It would take a huge amount of heart from Beckham to do that knowing that he couldn't play but I genuinely think he would do it if he thought it would be helpful.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Name hm in the squad and roll him on for the last minute against Algeria when we're 2-0 up :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here