Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckford

Yeah, having signed champions league and international players like bridge, kuszczak, vicente, and bruno, why are people so indifferent to a championship player whose brief premier league experience didn't tear up trees?

Because they're stupid. Beckford is still a million miles from most of the signings we've made over the last 30 years.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Anyway, no need to carry on the debate as Murray is coming back. Remember?

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower
I'm surprised at just how much apathy there is on here about signing a player of the quality of Beckford. Just who do some people think we are going to get?

I'd be delighted with him. He'd certainly be a step up from the likes of Paynter, Kitson and Vokes. Gus knows him and he fits the bill of an experienced forward who's mobile yet still has physical presence.
Best post of the thread!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because they're stupid. Beckford is still a million miles from most of the signings we've made over the last 30 years.

It doesn't mean they're stupid. Of course signings we make now when we have our own fantastic stadium, have a shout of pushing for the premier league, and have 22k season ticket holders financing a larger wage bill our signings are going to be a million miles away from when we had to travel 150mile round trip to watch our team at home as they struggle to avoid relegation.

We aren't the same brighton from the past 30 years any more. We've moved on, and so have any people's expectation when it comes to signings. It doesn't make them idiots.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Downside is that he considered himself too good for Leeds and they are European Champions :rolleyes:

I'd be very impressed by anyone who could tell me when Leeds were European Champions. I recall two Fairs Cup wins and a European Cup final defeat, but otherwise I'm scratching my head a little.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd be very impressed by anyone who could tell me when Leeds were European Champions. I recall two Fairs Cup wins and a European Cup final defeat, but otherwise I'm scratching my head a little.

But the fairs cup went on to become the eufa cup and that went on to become the europa league. Even Man Utd and liverpool can't call themselves europa cup winners.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It doesn't mean they're stupid. Of course signings we make now when we have our own fantastic stadium, have a shout of pushing for the premier league, and have 22k season ticket holders financing a larger wage bill our signings are going to be a million miles away from when we had to travel 150mile round trip to watch our team at home as they struggle to avoid relegation.

We aren't the same brighton from the past 30 years any more. We've moved on, and so have any people's expectation when it comes to signings. It doesn't make them idiots.

Moving on doesn't mean losing perspective though ..Beckford IMHO would b a top signing

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Beckford would be an exceptional signing although if I were to look at players Gus had at Leeds I would have thought Becchio was more his choice and possibly nearer to what we could do with ???

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Beckford would be an exceptional signing although if I were to look at players Gus had at Leeds I would have thought Becchio was more his choice and possibly nearer to what we could do with ???

That.

I'd be perfectly happy with either Beckford or Becchio here.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
would be a good signing and what Gus wants presence

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Lovely if Gus could get him playing but at Leicester last year he was just horrible - so keen on slouching around like a real cool dude that he forgot what he was there for. Where some of the gangsta reputation comes from I guess.

Fair enough, stupid was probably a bit harsh. It does make me laugh though that people are scoffing at Beckford when even only twelve months ago they were getting excited at the prospect of Chris Wood rejoining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here