Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckenbauer really is THICK, isn't he?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
:facepalm:

Don't stick it up on the door. Fabio has shown his adaptability once again, changed very subtle things about his methods, we did a job vs Slovenia.

Next up is Germany, not FB. Yes, english football has excessive amounts of matches however we've got a manager who will hopefully inspire the players to run on fumes if needed.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He's now apologised because he was maybe feeling ein bisschen knartschig, or a bit grouchy. For which read: too many wheat beers the night before. Chance of him shutting his fat gob at any time soon: small...

BBC Sport - Football - World Cup 2010: Beckenbauer sorry for England criticism

Franz Beckenbauer has apologised for his negative comments about the England team ahead of their World Cup second-round match against Germany.

He had accused England of going "back to the old days of kick and rush" and later suggested they were "burnt out."

But the Germany legend told BBC Sport: "I apologise, because I like England and I like English football.

"Maybe it was a reaction because I was disappointed [with England's performances] and maybe in a bad mood."

Beckenbauer, Germany's World Cup winning captain in 1974, added: "Before the World Cup I was convinced England would play a major role in the tournament and maybe win the title.

"They have a great team and a great coach - Fabio Capello is one of the most experienced coaches - and after the first two games I was so disappointed.

"In other words, I apologise and I look forward to the game on Sunday. I think it's going to be a very interesting game."

Beckenbauer also joked that he hoped Germany beat England on penalties, just as they did in the semi-finals of the 1990 World Cup - when he was their coach - and the 1996 European Championships.

He said: "For the fans, I hope for excitement - a draw, overtime, and then penalty kicks. And then, the Germans win. Sorry!"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Beckenbauer has always struck me as a decent bloke. Most of the Germans have been fairly magnanimous in victory and the occasional defeat (in my lifetime).

Klinsmann & Hamann were popular in
England, Matthaus famously consoled English players after Italia 90, even Völler was generous after the Munich 5-1.

The only one who ever really grated with me was
Andreas Möller after the Euro 96 shoot out, with that horribly smug strut towards the crowd.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, that Beckenbauer really was THICK wasn't he? Imagining suggesting that England players would look leaden-footed against Germany when we all know that TRIED and TESTED Englishmen are better than any foreigner.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Beckenbauer has always struck me as a decent bloke. Most of the Germans have been fairly magnanimous in victory and the occasional defeat (in my lifetime).

Klinsmann & Hamann were popular in
England, Matthaus famously consoled English players after Italia 90, even Völler was generous after the Munich 5-1.

The only one who ever really grated with me was
Andreas Möller after the Euro 96 shoot out, with that horribly smug strut towards the crowd.

He was 'impersonating' Gazza wasn't he - and you're right. Beckenbauer's comments were only stating the obvious we were all tempted to ignore in the run up to our glorious march to the final.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Out of interest, did they pin his comments on the dressing room wall, does anyone know?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not only that but the Germans first goal really taught us how to punt it upfield and score! :clap2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not only that but the Germans first goal really taught us how to punt it upfield and score! :clap2:

Yes, I was trying to reconcile a move that came out of Wimbledon's rise through the league to the statement that Capello was shit as its all his fault.

So its Capello's fault that they scored a route one goal that I would have expected El Abd to have cut out

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes, I was trying to reconcile a move that came out of Wimbledon's rise through the league to the statement that Capello was shit as its all his fault.

So its Capello's fault that they scored a route one goal that I would have expected El Abd to have cut out

Funnily enough a couple of times during our comdefending I found myself saying f*** sake El Abd.

Then realised these are supposedly "top class" players and not an honest 3rd Div footballer who is doing his best. :clap2:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Out of interest, did they pin his comments on the dressing room wall, does anyone know?
Yes I believe they did. The players all read it and the traditional 'English mentailty' took over - crushed that such a great judge could be so dismissive they choked and bottled it.

I guess you've seen that 'joke' about how the world cup resembles the war what with the French and Italians giving up early, the Americans leaving it to the last minute and England facing Germany alone. In the aftermath of the game there's one more analogy to make: Like 1940 and the Fall of France when it was just England v Germany (when we didn't have American support) - they absolutely thrashed us. I half-expected a flotilla of small ships to appear on the pitch and rescue the English team from further punishment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes I believe they did. The players all read it and the traditional 'English mentailty' took over - crushed that such a great judge could be so dismissive they choked and bottled it.

I guess you've seen that 'joke' about how the world cup resembles the war what with the French and Italians giving up early, the Americans leaving it to the last minute and England facing Germany alone. In the aftermath of the game there's one more analogy to make: Like 1940 and the Fall of France when it was just England v Germany (when we didn't have American support) - they absolutely thrashed us. I half-expected a flotilla of small ships to appear on the pitch and rescue the English team from further punishment.

And then the Germans go and mingle with the Argentinians.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

:laugh:

:vuvu2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here