Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckenbauer really is THICK, isn't he?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If it gets England going, who gives a crap?

He did still say we are "burnt out", didn't he?

Well, not quite. He said that "English players appear tired. They have a good reason: professionals in the Premier League play more games than their counterparts in the Bundesliga, including two competitions, which is why they're often burnt-out when it comes to World Cups and European Championships...Our players seem in better physical condition."

As I said, I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say. We haven't exactly set international tournaments alight in the past 30 years.

Last edited:

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
If it gets England going, who gives a crap?

He did still say we are "burnt out", didn't he?

I don't think it will change anything really, Capello won't need it and will hopefully keep them going in his calm controlled manner.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
.There's no justification to comparing the current German football team with stormtroopers from 60 years ago.

Especially considering that half of the German team, are descended from people those stormtroopers were trying to kill...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Considering most of our tabloid press will spend the next few days photoshopping tin helmets, beach towels and Luftwaffe uniform on to the faces of various involved parties, I doubt we're in a position to criticise what actually seems like a fairly reasonable statement from Beckenbauer.

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
Er guys, Beckenbauer was massivly misquoted. He said: "Dummerweise haben die Engländer ein bissel gepatzt" which correctly translateed is, "Unfortunately, England messed up a little".

What messed up a little because they don't want to play us in the last 16?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It is a bit troubling if we need a misquote from a serial winner to get us going.

Indeed. Given the footballing history between us and Germany, if England can't get themselves fired up for this game, and a chance to knock one of our fiercest rivals out of the tournament, then there really is no hope.

I agree, What he says is pretty much spot on. Truth hurts I'm afarid!

Eh? If we looked shattered then the last game would have seen us play abysmally. Fact is, we looked a lot fresher than the previous two games (Rooney aside) and the Germans are the ones who look laboured in their last 2.

Coupled with the fact that we stuffed them last time, I put it down to a bit of winding-up, that's all.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Love it, just like Bilic did, he's done the England team talk for Fabio.

and look what happened after Bilic made that comment... 4 - 1 and 5 - 1 against Croatia who were undoubtedly one of the better teams in the world at that time...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is a bit troubling if we need a misquote from a serial winner to get us going.

Unfortunately, the usual carrots of playing in a world cup / playing for your country don't seem to motivate most of the England side.

Beckenbauer's comments are welcome because they WILL help us prepare for the Germany game. We'll find out soon enough whether our players are "burnt out" although, as John Isner showed last night, even sportsment who are physically f***ed can still have a lot of fight and guts about them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here