Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beachdown festival CANCELLED *********

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shite. I was overjoyed at having got two day tickets. I only bought them Monday.

Last edited:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Not at all surprised, one of my clients worked on Beachdown last year and only got paid the balance of their fee when tickets started to be sold for this year's festival. Needless to say, my client wanted nothing to do with it this year! Hope anyone who has bought tickets gets a refund, but don't hold your breath!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What a mare, wonder if any chance of a refund or will the bods behind it just cut their losses and disappear?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Why put a festival one when you can go to all manner of club nights in Brighton on a bank holiday weekend anyway? And you don't have to drink at the Pimms Bus or the wanky Cocktail Bars and that.
Festival always looked poorly run and only had bands you could see at any other festival anyway.

I hope the Furries play Bestival now instead.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why put a festival one when you can go to all manner of club nights in Brighton on a bank holiday weekend anyway? And you don't have to drink at the Pimms Bus or the wanky Cocktail Bars and that.
Festival always looked poorly run and only had bands you could see at any other festival anyway.

I hope the Furries play Bestival now instead.

Every cloud has a silver lining: Bestival with Kraftwerk and The Super Furry Animals now that would be a gig made in heaven.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Bloody hell, I was up on the camp this morning admiring all the marques along the downs. Very late in the day to do this especially after offering day tickets.

If you paid by credit card you could claim your money back via the credit consumer act, just call your card issuer.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Every cloud has a silver lining: Bestival with Kraftwerk and The Super Furry Animals now that would be a gig made in heaven.

That would be some set especially if they mixed the two together. It says to go back to where you purchased the tickets from first, if you used a credit card you can always claim back from them if you have not recieved the goods.

Lots of people on here now saying how dodgy it looked, I feel for all the people up there now, who have set up the site and are expecting punters for their food and drink.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A couple of decent bands aside the line-up was poor - particularly when you look at other festivals taking place on the SAME weekend.

The organisers can blame the banks all they like but after the hoo-har last year with people not being paid on time and stuff, they are hardly blameless.

Easier to shift the blame elsewhere though. As for the 'emotional' cancellation message - of COURSE they wanted it to go ahead. They are 'businessmen' who wanted to cash in.

Sadly, with so much else going on in Brighton, its probably a festival too far. Local people don't need it enough to bother with it, and its not good enough to tempt the numbers needed from elsewhere in the country.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A couple of decent bands aside the line-up was poor - particularly when you look at other festivals taking place on the SAME weekend.

The organisers can blame the banks all they like but after the hoo-har last year with people not being paid on time and stuff, they are hardly blameless.

Easier to shift the blame elsewhere though. As for the 'emotional' cancellation message - of COURSE they wanted it to go ahead. They are 'businessmen' who wanted to cash in.

Sadly, with so much else going on in Brighton, its probably a festival too far. Local people don't need it enough to bother with it, and its not good enough to tempt the numbers needed from elsewhere in the country.

Some festivals were seen as being a good bet this year as people were doing them over more expensive holidays abroad.

I like to support local events although I know nothing of the organisers, are they locals a bit out of their depth, over paying artists and not managing well, or are they the money men you mention in for a buck and willing to screw people over for profit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Line-up was poor. I also feel the target punter was a bit confused as well. Who were they aiming at?

To get up to capacity with 10k plus campers they needed to attract outsiders....but the huge swathe of local bands were of minimal interest to such types.

The ticket pricing seemed to be out of kilter with the higher end food and drinks stalls inside. Were they aiming at the budget fezzie goer? Or the slightly more monied and discerning 20/30 something punter? Budget punters might have been put off by the cost of stuff inside...and the more discering punter would have probably paid a little more to get some decent acts on the bill or quality in general.

Also I'd cut it to 3 days.

Ho hum. Just some thoughts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some festivals were seen as being a good bet this year as people were doing them over more expensive holidays abroad.

I like to support local events although I know nothing of the organisers, are they locals a bit out of their depth, over paying artists and not managing well, or are they the money men you mention in for a buck and willing to screw people over for profit.

From what I've heard it is the former. Local people who mean well but were a little naive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Overall I am disappointed as this is the second summer fezzie we have lost. The Essential got run out of town years ago....but then they were crooks.

Beachdown had a great location and I really hoped they would become established.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Overall I am disappointed as this is the second summer fezzie we have lost. The Essential got run out of town years ago....but then they were crooks.

Beachdown had a great location and I really hoped they would become established.

I agree, SFA on Sunday and then get to sleep in me own bed with a nice cup of co co would have been tops.

C'est la vie says Grace Jones as she leaves stage left looking for someone to thump....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The thing that always put me off about this festival was the fact that it looked really f***ing WANKY. Pimms Bus, local Cocktails bars setting up and charging through the nose, no booze at all allowed this year (realise that was out of their hands) and no doubt some really expensive local food stalls. Allow all that shit.

They obviously thought they could sell tickets to Brighton residents only and almost sell out, which they might have been able to do if the students were around (maybe having it in June would have been advisable).

Just not thought out properly.

And you can't get away from the line up being pretty weak, though the Hospitality night would have gone off big time and Derrick May would have been good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here