Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beachdown festival CANCELLED *********

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Only brought my ticket for the Sunday on Monday, got them this morning. Straight back in the post

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Essential got run out of town years ago....but then they were crooks.

Well they may - or may not - have been crooks, but they knew how to put on a cracking festival. Also, didn't they have to call it a day due to foot and mouth restrictions? Seem to recall that was the reason given at the time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well they may - or may not - have been crooks, but they knew how to put on a cracking festival. Also, didn't they have to call it a day due to foot and mouth restrictions? Seem to recall that was the reason given at the time.

My understanding is the main reason they got refused a license down here was they first broke a deal to use local businesses wherever possible, and those they did use they didnt pay. They eventually ended up in Bristol (via Hackney) and the enterprise folded but only after they put on a festival which was about half the size they advertised.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

..and I agree they did put on a good fezzie.....shame they didnt adhere to their licensing agreements.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I have just been to the Levellers Beautiful Days festival. £100 for 3 days including camping. 10,000 tickets available and for the 7th year running sold out.

Its based near Otter St Mary (Devon) and all beer provided was from the local brewery and sold at pub prices hence it was £2.60 for a pint of the festival beer, going up to £3 for other drinks - lager/cider etc.

The food stalls all reasonably priced - £5/£6 for main meals and you got decent food and large portions. There are no big corporate companies allowed so lots of small independant stalls, the variety was superb. They also had a large "shop" run by the local village shop.

There were 4 different stages, plus lots of cafes,bars, other tents. Main stage finsihed at midnight and other tents at 3am.

Brilliantly organised, toilets kept clean, excellent (but limited) shower facilities and the stewarding was spot on.

All in all my favourite festival compared to V, Reading, Guilfest & Glastonbury.

Not much help for those going to Beachdown, but IMHO the beautiful days team now how to put on a festival!

Couldn't agree more BD's is a fab event. Nice to have a mud-free festival this year.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
In the argus today bleating about losing his house, f***ing shower of shit knew this was going down the pan weeks ago and still fleeced people in a desperate attempt to claw back some money/hope for a miracle. should be a criminal investigation.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Known one of the directore personally and had a drink with him Sunday.

He will loose his home, his father has put 600k into the business and they will get nothing back. Aside frim a Facebook group with 48 members getting shirty, only 2 of them have written letters of complaints, hardly a great loss losing 95.00 is it when the company owners have lost hundreds of thousnds...??

All those who say it was a rip off etc etc do not know the full story. several of the bands have offered to do a benifit gig for the organisers as they know the full story, not half of it printed in the paper everyone on here slags off....The Argus!!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
He will loose his home, his father has put 600k into the business and they will get nothing back. Aside frim a Facebook group with 48 members getting shirty, only 2 of them have written letters of complaints, hardly a great loss losing 95.00 is it when the company owners have lost hundreds of thousnds...??

Yeah kids, if you've lost £95, think of the poor failed businessmen who were trying to get rich with your money.

:wozza:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
What I don't get is that he blamed the failure of the festival on having to pay some of the suppliers up front, yet didn't he get all of the ticket sales revenue up front from the punters anyway?

What else is there to make up this 'full story'?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
What I don't get is that he blamed the failure of the festival on having to pay some of the suppliers up front, yet didn't he get all of the ticket sales revenue up front from the punters anyway?

I understand they dont get the money from the ticket agencies until after the event or its paid for everything

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Seems there's no winners in this story. Nightmare for all concerned.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

All those who say it was a rip off etc etc do not know the full story. several of the bands have offered to do a benifit gig for the organisers as they know the full story, not half of it printed in the paper everyone on here slags off....The Argus!!

Mmmm. I think the 600k is a little fanciful. I presume we're talking about the same person....i.e. the pisshead who used to own The Caxton?

I dont think the Beachdown lot are crooks, just naive when it comes to running fezzies. Regardless of this; lots of people have lost money through no fault of their own. The Pigeon family et al have lost their dosh through their own speculation.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I still don't understand why they were allowed to run another Beachdown after all the debt and bad payment last or chose to do another one when they f***ed up last year when there wasn't a recession on

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If you sell through a ticket agency you do not tend to get the money until the event has gone ahead. The main reason for this is to protect the agent and also protect the punter who bough the ticket against the gig being pulled. This is common and demonstrated by the fact the two main agents for this event are able to make refunds.

The full-story is quite simple: very very low ticket sales coupled with a demand from some suppliers for payment in full at the last minute (probably as a result of the rumours the event was struggling to sell).

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Mmmm. I think the 600k is a little fanciful. I presume we're talking about the same person....i.e. the pisshead who used to own The Caxton?

I dont think the Beachdown lot are crooks, just naive when it comes to running fezzies. Regardless of this; lots of people have lost money through no fault of their own. The Pigeon family et al have lost their dosh through their own speculation.

Called him that to his face did you??:wanker:

Doubt it.......:nono:

So you think 600k is topping the money lost do you?? Please come back with some facts.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I still don't understand why they were allowed to run another Beachdown after all the debt and bad payment last or chose to do another one when they f***ed up last year when there wasn't a recession on

Not as recession last year........Mmmmm, yeah booming economy wasnt it.

You think they will make money from year one? Very few businesses will break even in the first year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here