Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC suspends Brand and Ross.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Like others have said, I'm not aware that Andrew Sachs was actually offended, but isn't there just a teeny spot of irony in the fact that his career is based on a kind of racially-stereotyped humour that, these days, would be arguably even less acceptable than the comments Brand and Ross made?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
As for Brand - great in the Guardian but how am I supposed to relate to a stand-up act based around how the tabloids report his sex life?

You make it sound like you're going to be FORCED to listen to his stand-up show.

If you don't like it, don't go.

If you don't like his style of radio, don't listen to his show - like 99% of the country.

If you don't like it, there's no reason to COMPLAIN about it.

That's flawed logic. Are you suggesting that you can use the medium of a national broadcast to do basically anything as long as those lucky/unlucky to hear it don't complain? The reason there were so few complaints is that the people who listen to Brand's show know what to expect. The same can't be said of Andrew Sachs.

Yes, pretty much. If you offend your audience, that is out of line, and you need to be bought to task for that. However, as you rightly say, the people listening to it (presumably) knew what to expect, and listen because they like his kind of humour. They weren't offended. Sachs probably was (as most of us would be in his situation). However the hoo-ha we are currently in is not as a result of Sachs or his granddaughter taking offence, it is the 18000 members of the 'great' British public.

I suppose my point is that this would have passed by 17998 of those people that complained, had it not been in the paper. They had no grounds for complaint; they had not heard the broadcast, or been offended by it.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
You make it sound like you're going to be FORCED to listen to his stand-up show.

If you don't like it, don't go.

If you don't like his style of radio, don't listen to his show - like 99% of the country.

If you don't like it, there's no reason to COMPLAIN about it.

I don't watch Ross or listen to his show, at least not for a few years. I have read (and liked) Russell Brand's football writing. I've watched his stand-up act, smiled a few times, but don't ultimately think it's that funny.

I don't go to BNP rallies and haven't witnessed any knife attacks, but I'm pretty sure I'm against those too. I also don't think its fair or funny to leave obscene messages on the voicemail of a harmless, kindly old guy to get cheap laughs, especially when those doing it are so overpaid and lacking in talent.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
except the fact its license payers money and hes a crude offensive unfunny prat. Though I guess its some peoples cuppa tea, cant please everyone

But you don't have to buy a TV license, you could just not watch TV no-one forces people to watch it

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I don't watch Ross or listen to his show, at least not for a few years. I have read (and liked) Russell Brand's football writing. I've watched his stand-up act, smiled a few times, but don't ultimately think it's that funny.

I don't go to BNP rallies and haven't witnessed any knife attacks, but I'm pretty sure I'm against those too. I also don't think its fair or funny to leave obscene messages on the voicemail of a harmless, kindly old guy to get cheap laughs, especially when those doing it are so overpaid and lacking in talent.

The kindly old chap mocked the Spanish for cheap laughs?

Were Denis Pennis or Ali G suspended for being rude to other celebrities?

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Like others have said, I'm not aware that Andrew Sachs was actually offended, but isn't there just a teeny spot of irony in the fact that his career is based on a kind of racially-stereotyped humour that, these days, would be arguably even less acceptable than the comments Brand and Ross made?

Sachs was offended, but has accepted the apologies of both Ross and Brand, and won't be taking the incident any further.

Andrew was playing the part of a Spanish waiter in an English hotel. He wasn't fluent in English and therefore had communication problems with his boss. Very funny indeed, and not one bit offensive to anyone. The joke was not racially motivated, or aimed at anyone.

However ringing up an elderly gentleman on national radio to tell him that you have "f***ed his grandaughter" is very offensive. Not only that but then to suggest that he may "kill himself" over the incident, is way out of line.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Were Denis Pennis or Ali G suspended for being rude to other celebrities?

No, but theres a bit of a line between banter and being offensive guess if you think phoning up a 78 year old man and saying you f***ed his granddaughter is good value for license payers money then hey ho

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
No, but theres a bit of a line between banter and being offensive guess if you think phoning up a 78 year old man and saying you f***ed his granddaughter is good value for license payers money then hey ho

I'd rather that than Songs of Prais, or Mark Lawrenson on MOTD, or Chris Moyles, The Weakest Link, Little Britain, that shite with Piers Morgan, Last of the Summer Wine.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
The kindly old chap mocked the Spanish for cheap laughs?

What the f*** are you talking about!? :thud:

He was playing a Spanish waiter...but where does he mock the Spanish??
I don't get it? Did you ever watch the 12 Fawlty Towers episodes, or are you just talking out of your arse?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
like em both. think its all a bit over the top. if they both say sorry, maybe on air then move on. good pr for vampire slut!!

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
However ringing up an elderly gentleman on national radio to tell him that you have "f***ed his grandaughter" is very offensive. Not only that but then to suggest that he may "kill himself" over the incident, is way out of line.

Sake! JR shouted "he's F'd your grandaughter", it's not as if RB could have doen anything to prevent it.

He then said in a stupid voice something along the lines of "in the news today Richard Sachs was found hanged" which I admit is in bad taste but in context
he said it in 5 seconds and they immediately went on to a different topic.

The 'sorry song' was (imo very funny) but of course would have caused offence.

Unless you've heard it don't comment on it. It looks a lot worse in text than it actually was. This thread has just turned in to an excuse for people who don't like either JR or RB just to bitch at them.

Bit sad really.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
What the f*** are you talking about!? :thud:

He was playing a Spanish waiter...but where does he mock the Spanish??
I don't get it? Did you ever watch the 12 Fawlty Towers episodes, or are you just talking out of your arse?

Don't try thinking for yourselves, just go back to the Mail and the Sun and find something new to angry about today

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Sake! JR shouted "he's F'd your grandaughter", it's not as if RB could have doen anything to prevent it.

He then said in a stupid voice something along the lines of "in the news today Richard Sachs was found hanged" which I admit is in bad taste but in context
he said it in 5 seconds and they immediately went on to a different topic.

The 'sorry song' was (imo very funny) but of course would have caused offence.

Unless you've heard it don't comment on it. It looks a lot worse in text than it actually was. This thread has just turned in to an excuse for people who don't like either JR or RB just to bitch at them.

Bit sad really.

I have heard it.

I have read the transcript as well.

How would you like it if at the age of 78 and with your wife ill in hospital I rang you on national radio and humiliated you by saying I had f***ed your grandaughter?? Then go on to suggest you might kill yourself, and then go on to suggest I should break into your house and "kiss you up and down" etc etc. And there was worse things said after that as well...

I had no problem with Ross or Brand. In fact I really enjoy pretty much everything Ross does, be it on telly or on the wireless. But this was in bad taste, and was bang out of order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here