Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC suspends Brand and Ross.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Nothing like a good witchhunt.

Number of complaints made by listeners to the show = 2 (both for bad language not the topic of conversation)

Number of complaints made after the papers blew the whole thing out of proportion = 18000

Ridiculous. It was very funny (albeit in bad taste) they have apologised and Manuel has said he just wants the whole thing to go away.

on what level was it funny ?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
and I suspect his grand-daughter wants it to run and run ...............

It will improve her career no end - she is currently a burlesque performer with the 'satanic sluts'. As Dita von Teese has shown, you can make a career out of burlesque if you are willing to work at it.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
What a f***ing Joke, should never of got to that stage, i feel theres a clear difference between what brand and Ross have done compared to what happend with harty.

And as stated before surley it should lie with the people who aloud it to go on air, it was pre recorded its not there fault if it then aired later to be seen as inappropriate. the BBC are a JOKE.

in the words of Vic Reeves "you couldnt let it lie".

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
What a f***ing Joke, should never of got to that stage, i feel theres a clear difference between what brand and Ross have done compared to what happend with harty.

And as stated before surley it should lie with the people who aloud it to go on air, it was pre recorded its not there fault if it then aired later to be seen as inappropriate. the BBC are a JOKE.

in the words of Vic Reeves "you couldnt let it lie".

so, they should not take responsibility for what they do and say ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I just don't see they had any option.

People have made some valid points on this in trying to mitigate their actions; not many complained at the time; Mail has a very anti-BBC agenda; blame also lies with producers, even executives. All these things are true, but they are side-issues.

To assess the thing properly you have to take a step back and judge it purely on the incident, listen to what was said, ask yourself how offensive that was to 'innocent bystander' Sachs (clearly very), and then take the same action as if had been a rookie DJ and not a £6million-a-year star.

One terrible thing about this is that the Beeb have allowed talkSPORT to take the moral high ground all day for 48 hours. This is talkSPORT, FFS. It's like Millwall lecturing you about crowd behaviour.

I just hope that this young producer has got it in writing/an email that he sought advice from a senior executive before running it, because you can be sure they will leave him to swing if he hasn't.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
bloody daily mail. Has been blown out of all proportion, 2 complaints during the show more than a week later the mail get involved and look what happens. How many of the people who complained actually heard the show considering it was off the iPlayer because it was too old when the mail published the story? Its a joke they apoligsed to him he accepted should have been told don't do it again and the world continues but no... See that the granddaughter is in the sun today, she must be gutted its all out in the open

I just don't see they had any option.

People have made some valid points on this in trying to mitigate their actions; not many complained at the time; Mail has a very anti-BBC agenda; blame also lies with producers, even executives. All these things are true, but they are side-issues.

To assess the thing properly you have to take a step back and judge it purely on the incident, listen to what was said, ask yourself how offensive that was to 'innocent bystander' Sachs (clearly very), and then take the same action as if had been a rookie DJ and not a £6million-a-year star.

One terrible thing about this is that the Beeb have allowed talkSPORT to take the moral high ground all day for 48 hours. This is talkSPORT, FFS. It's like Millwall lecturing you about crowd behaviour.

I just hope that this young producer has got it in writing/an email that he sought advice from a senior executive before running it, because you can be sure they will leave him to swing if he hasn't.

Where has it been said that Sachs was in ANY way offended? He has been quoted as being bemused by all the fuss and wanting it to just go away. It's yet another example of idiots jumping on the faux outrage bandwagon because a crass comment has been blown out of all proportion.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
so, they should not take responsibility for what they do and say ?

Why should they if it shouldnt of gone on air in the first place, if it was live i would completley understand, but someone has let it go out on air.

Example

Pre recording of a tv program, someone messes up there lines and swears, the producer of that show isnt going to let that go out to the public, as im sure it would recive complaints, just as this has all bit a slighltly different scenario. now the producer or who ever let that go on air, the buck lies there IMO.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
on what level was it funny ?

On the level that people have differing sense of humours. I happen to find Brand funny, I download the podcast of his show every week and I enjoy his stand-up, maybe you can't stand him and there's a comedian out there who you think is great who I can't stand!

Its all about opinion and I'm just expressing mine.

Why should they if it shouldnt of gone on air in the first place, if it was live i would completley understand, but someone has let it go out on air.

Example

Pre recording of a tv program, someone messes up there lines and swears, the producer of that show isnt going to let that go out to the public, as im sure it would recive complaints, just as this has all bit a slighltly different scenario. now the producer or who ever let that go on air, the buck lies there IMO.

I agree entirely. This is a personal issue between Brand, Ross, Sachs and his granddaughter. Quite what the high-and-mighty Daily Mail are doing getting involved is anyone's guess.

If it had happened off-air, as part of their private lives, they would have got a slapped wrist and told to behave. Instead it's got to this ludicrous situation of them both being suspended.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I agree entirely. This is a personal issue between Brand, Ross, Sachs and his granddaughter. Quite what the high-and-mighty Daily Mail are doing getting involved is anyone's guess.

If it had happened off-air, as part of their private lives, they would have got a slapped wrist and told to behave. Instead it's got to this ludicrous situation of them both being suspended.

like Ron Atkinson...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Where has it been said that Sachs was in ANY way offended? He has been quoted as being bemused by all the fuss and wanting it to just go away. It's yet another example of idiots jumping on the faux outrage bandwagon because a crass comment has been blown out of all proportion.

Well, I'm sorry for having a different view and being an idiot, obviously, and we clearly have very different opinions about what constitutes good radio.

You appear to be of the school that believes you can say whatever you like, offend everyone, and well, it's only a laugh, innit, and if they're not happy, well sod 'em, they should have a thicker skin. Thank God you're not in charge.

I can't speak for everyone, but having listened to the thing I didn't there was any choice but for a very heavy sanction. Not sure how that is faux outrage, it's genuinely what I thought, and what I think.

like Ron Atkinson...

Ron Atkinson made his comment while they were off-air in the UK, but still live in parts of the Middle East. From wikipedia...

Ron Atkinson's media work came to an abrupt end on April 21, 2004, when he resigned from ITV after he broadcast a racist remark live on air about the black Chelsea F.C. player Marcel Desailly: believing the microphone to be switched off, he said, "...he [Desailly] is what is known in some schools as a f***ing lazy thick ******". Although transmission in the UK had finished, the microphone gaffe meant that his comment was broadcast to various countries in the Middle East. He also left his job as a columnist for The Guardian "by mutual agreement" as a result of the comment.

Do you believe that there aren't racists, or any other kind of 'undesirable' that you care to mention, in high profile media jobs? The difference is keeping these comments out of the public domain. That should, in this case, have fallen to Brand's editorial team. They failed to do their job.

On another note, I saw Mark Thompson's statement on the incident. What balls.

"It is clear from the views expressed by the public that this broadcast has caused severe offence and I share that view."

No Mark, the broadcast caused very little offence (2 complaints). It is the Daily Mail front-page article on Sunday which caused severe offence (17998 complaints).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No Mark, the broadcast caused very little offence (2 complaints). It is the Daily Mail front-page article on Sunday which caused severe offence (17998 complaints).

The Mail on Sunday, and then the Mail started it off, but the other papers wouldn't have picked it up if it wasn't a story.

You've also had the likes of George Galloway on talkSPORT actually putting out all the complaint numbers on his show which is arguably even more of a vested interest at work - another radio station doing its best to make life awkward for the BBC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here