Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2012

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This whole thing really is a big pile of horse shit. Who cares who a bunch of people think is the Sports Personality of the Year? Do any of those nominated have any personality? Should the one with the biggest personality win?

I am truly amazed that any British sports people bother to show interest.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
This whole thing really is a big pile of horse shit. Who cares who a bunch of people think is the Sports Personality of the Year? Do any of those nominated have any personality? Should the one with the biggest personality win?

I am truly amazed that any British sports people bother to show interest.

Think of it as the greatest british sportsperson of the year. I think it's a fantastic show looking back on the highlights of the sporting year and, in a year of unparalleled british sporting achievement, it will be immense this year. I predict Wiggo will win it and it will be well deserved for winning, possibly, the toughest mainstream sporting event there is. I would like to put in a plug for Ben Ainslie once again though. Gold medallist in a mentally and physically tough sport four Olympics in succession is a truly phenominal achievement. I just hope he does a Redgrave and decides to go one more time in Rio.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd go for:

Wiggins
Weir
Farah

But it is very difficult. All of the above have achieved more than a famous win. They have become the greatest British athletes in their discipline. Ainslie might therefore be 4th. Murray can't compete with the above, nor Ennis.

Ennis is the greatest British athlete in her discipline, by a fair margin.

D

Deleted member 18477

You don't think the man that won his 4th successive Olympic Gold Medal in Sailing, after winning a silver in Atlanta at 19 years old, is worthy of a spot on the podium?

it's so difficult, they're all sporting greats! Ainslie is an absolute legend and he's put sailing on the map for me certainly in the last 20 years. IF we go by just this years sporting achievements...

Wiggins - tour de france AND gold (first brit everrrrrr to win le tour - thats why for me he JUST edges murray)
Murray - US Open, Gold AND Silver + wimbledon final
Farah - 2 x Gold (very difficult to achieve in his events)
McIlroy - US PGA Title (this is like a grand slam in tennis - a major), World tour championships (this is like the tennis tournament at the o2) AND Ryder Cup winning team (won 3 points only bettered by the ryder cup master Ian Poulter)
Weir - 3 x Golds

Simmonds - 2 x Gold
Ennis - 1 x Gold
Ainslie - 1 x Gold
Adams - 1 x Gold
Grainger 1 x Gold

I've just realised Storey won 4 Golds though - wow!

this is such a good year. Any other year and all these would be winners!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's no skill or coordination involved in riding a bike, so thats Wiggins out. Similarly, running is not a skill, its just an endurance thing. So thats Farah binned.

Ennis should win it overall as she competed across multiple events to come out on top. And she's a fitty.

The team award should go to the Ryder Cup team, for the greatest sporting comeback ever witnessed in the history of the world

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
When you look back at some of the barrel scrapers who have won before, you see what an amazing year this has been for British sport:

Damon Hill (twice)
Greg Rusedski
Zara Phillips
Ryan Giggs

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
There's no skill or coordination involved in riding a bike, so thats Wiggins out. Similarly, running is not a skill, its just an endurance thing. So thats Farah binned.

Ennis should win it overall as she competed across multiple events to come out on top. And she's a fitty.

The team award should go to the Ryder Cup team, for the greatest sporting comeback ever witnessed in the history of the world

Riiiiight..... So riding at 45mph inches away from riders on all sides of you takes NO skill or coordination?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
When you look back at some of the barrel scrapers who have won before, you see what an amazing year this has been for British sport:

Damon Hill (twice)
Greg Rusedski
Zara Phillips
Ryan Giggs

Er, Damon Hill was World Champion once and second twice so he was at the very top of his sport for a few years and he did have a " Personality ". Had he not been T Boned by a certain smug German driver he would have been a double World Champion.

I'll give you the other three.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I never got to see Mo Farah winning the 5,000 gold, and it's always puzzled me as to why there doesn't appear to be anywhere on the web (youtube etc) that you can watch it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Er, Damon Hill was World Champion once and second twice so he was at the very top of his sport for a few years and he did have a " Personality ". Had he not been T Boned by a certain smug German driver he would have been a double World Champion.

I'll give you the other three.

Fair enough on Damon Hill - I just can't hide my disinterest in Formula 1! I guess it was a time when the sport had a really high profile in the UK.

Maybe I'm being thick, but I don't get the concept of Team GB winning the team of the year award. Surely this is just a collection of athletes who, on the whole, did brilliantly individually. Would make more sense to give it to a TEAM who actually performed together e.g. a relay squad or an Olympics team sport.

I would say the Ryder Cup team but they actually played a lot better when they reverted back to singles!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Apart from McIlroy and Murray they are all minority sports. I've never heard of Sarah Storey and Katherine Granger, I assume they won the egg and spoon or the wheelbarrow race at sports day in the summer?

Murray is a **** and a Scottish one at that. So got to be McIlroy.

Obviously won't be because it's voted for by BBC viewers. What a joke the competition has become.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
McIlroy would have more of a chance (rather than no chance) if he pledged his future (Olympic) allegiance to GB not Ireland, instead of sitting on the fence.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My top 3 and here's why:

1. Wiggins - Winner of the iconic TdF race, numerous Olympics golds, great personality, helping to boost the growth of cycling in GB.
2. Ennis - The Golden Girl, great all-round sportwoman and an inspirational figure for all women.
3. Ainslie - Britannia Rules The Waves? Too f***ing right! For that quote "I'm angry...and you don't want to make me angry." Longevity, class act.

Honourable mention for Farah. Hoy has won before, Murray should win it once he wins Wimbledon.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
She is. Another obvious one was Rory Mc Ilroy. Whether or not you follow golf, you must have heard about him in the news somewhere along the lines.

Do you read the sports section of any newspaper?

Do bot
buy newspapers but do read them is cafe etc but only read the football bits and skip the rest I'm afraid.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Farah pips wiggins for me. Farah won gold in two tough and totally different disciplines in which I'm not sure if a Brit has ever got an Olympic gold in and not any Olympics but a London Olympics on home turf.

I feel wiggins win in the Tour de France would not have been achieved if it wasn't for the team around him, taking the lead and setting it up for the slightly stronger rider to win.

Plus all the immense charity work farah does. Wiggins seems like an arrogant and obnoxious person to me.

Murray comes close and I think should get third however I think this will soon be his with that illusive Wimbledon win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here